PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Army of flying swords

Traitoreous
2016-01-30, 10:44 AM
I'll join a game in a month or so and I was asked to play a primary spell caster (cleric or wizard). The other players are at level 12, so i would be around that level too. Since I can't be a necromancer and have an army of undead, I thought maybe I could create an army of constructs, animated objects or something similar. The idea of flying swords is cool and the DM would approve it, if I find a legit way to make it. At simplest the army could be three animated swords that have flight cared on them (because I can't figure out another sensible way of movement). I know that there is an enchantment for swords that can fight on their own, but that is not what I am looking for. Several homunculi carrying the weapons is also an option, but that is probably not a good idea without optimisation.

Inevitability
2016-01-30, 11:06 AM
The problem is that using Permanency to make animated objects permanent won't be possible until you have a CL of 14, and even then you'll be spending a lot of XP on relatively fragile minions.

You could, however, ask your DM to let you take leadership, then run the swords as Tiny or Small animated objects. Note that as they lack a LA, you'll have to check with your DM to see if he allows this.

RhymarJared
2016-01-30, 11:48 AM
The problem is that using Permanency to make animated objects permanent won't be possible until you have a CL of 14, and even then you'll be spending a lot of XP on relatively fragile minions.

You could, however, ask your DM to let you take leadership, then run the swords as Tiny or Small animated objects. Note that as they lack a LA, you'll have to check with your DM to see if he allows this.

For the CL14 requirement, couldn't you play a lvl 12 artificer? For magic item creation prerequisites, they are considered to be 2 levels higher.

[EDIT :] I just realised you were talking about the permanency spell, so my argument doesn't apply. But if you take artificer, you could get an Animate Objects scroll and, with a high enough Spellcraft check, you could get it persistent (+6 metamagic, 24h duration for the spell).

Aleolus
2016-01-30, 12:05 PM
You could use Craft Magic Arms and Armor to make intelligent swords who have one of their powers be the ability to cast Fly at will

Traitoreous
2016-01-30, 03:26 PM
Can you make intelligent items? I didn't think it was possible.

My DM hates leadership so that is not an option.

Aleolus
2016-01-31, 12:21 PM
I don't see why not, the dmg gives rules for it

Segev
2016-01-31, 12:27 PM
Do you intend to do anything with them other than have them attack? If not, you could probably get away with telekinesis and a lot of greatswords that you just have following you around. Telekinesis lets you hurl your CL in greatswords with a single action, attacking with each. That would be pretty close to an army of swords. You could even, arguably, make them a group magic item with Craft Wondrous Item; not Craft Arms and Armor, because you're not making them as a standard magic weapon. You're making them as a telekinesis-at-will item. Very pricey, though.

You could also get yourself a bunch of swords with the enchantment that makes anybody who wields them proficient and have at least a 3/4 BAB, then summon or bind a lot of Invisible Stalkers or similar flying invisible monsters with hands to hand the swords to. It'll look like you have an army of flying swords, and they'll have at least moderately decent to-hit rolls, depending on the HD of the things you have wielding them.

Traitoreous
2016-01-31, 01:26 PM
Those were some interesting ideas. I'll talk about them with the DM.

I can't see any other use for flying swords than attacking. If you come up with other uses for them, I'm all ears to hear them.

Inevitability
2016-01-31, 01:49 PM
I can't see any other use for flying swords than attacking. If you come up with other uses for them, I'm all ears to hear them.

Lumberjacks, perhaps? Scything a field should also be possible for the swords.

Also, the swords can make great spies if you command them to keep still. Give a few to people you don't like and occasionally cast a Sending to learn if the swords heard anything interesting. If necessary, you could then command the sword to assassinate its new owner.

Also, try to see if you can give them ranks in perform (weapon drill), and enjoy a traveling troupe of spinning swords.

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-31, 02:22 PM
maybe you planar bind invisible stalkers with swashbuckler class levels?

paranoidbox
2016-01-31, 03:27 PM
Do they have to be permanently flying/animated swords? I mean, the concept of an Arcane Master of Blades so to speak could include spells like Cloud of Knives, Steeldance, Dancing Blade, Blade barrier, Blade of Pain and Fear, Persistent Blade, Whirling Blade, the aforementioned Telekinesis, and many more.

You'd be a sword summoning, sword animating bastard on the battlefield, felling down his foes and taking their blades to use against any of their allies that are still left.

unseenmage
2016-01-31, 05:03 PM
There's a weapon enhancement called Flying that makes a weapon into a flying animated object.

It's in one of the Faerun books.

SangoProduction
2016-01-31, 05:37 PM
There's a weapon enhancement called Flying that makes a weapon into a flying animated object.

It's in one of the Faerun books.

As well as oriental adventures.

Traitoreous
2016-02-01, 01:45 AM
Do they have to be permanently flying/animated swords?

No, they don't have to be permanently animated and/or flying.