PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Of Anarchic Blood (The Demi-Slaadi Race)

Ralcos
2016-01-30, 12:53 PM
The Demi-Slaad

Chaotic blood fills my veins, an apparent abomination between chaos and something more.

http://img11.deviantart.net/b48b/i/2006/129/2/e/olidammara_slaad_by_njoo.jpg
Credit given to njoo on Deviantart

The Demi-Slaad is a newer race, evidently happening when the eggs take nutrients and genetics from their humanoid host, or when Chaos Phage goes through a strange mutation when a pregnant humanoid contracts it. Chaos begets chaos, after all...

Ability Score Increase. All Demi-Slaad increase their Constitution ability score by 2, and their Dexterity scores increase by 1.
Age. While it's assumed that Demi-Slaad have a general lifespan, there have been no real recorded "maximum" age.
Alignment. Demi-Slaad, similar to their extraplanar parents, usually tend to Chaotic alignments, though there are always the rare few who are not anarchic in nature.
Size. Despite their Slaadi heritage, Demi-Slaad take the size of their Material parentage.
Speed. Demi-Slaad have the same speed, having a base walking speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and into darkness as if it was dim light. You cannot discern colors in darkness, only greys.
Slaadi Resistance. You gain Resistance in one of the following types: Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Thunder.
Claws. Your slaadi nature gives you claws. Your unarmed attacks deal 1d4 plus your Strength modifier in damage, and you can make a secondary attack with your unarmed strike as if you were dual-wielding.
Slaadi Regeneration. You may expend one of your Hit Dice to heal as though taking a short rest as a bonus action. You can only expend a Hit Die in this manner as long as you have 1 hit point or more.
Languages. You begin knowing how to speak, understand, and write in Common and Slaad.

I have a feeling this is a bit too powerful, but hopefully you guys like this race!

Ralcos
2016-01-30, 12:58 PM
Changed Gnome Heritage.
Will change into something later.

Added missing things I noticed after posting. Sorry for the double post.

Edge
2016-01-30, 01:15 PM
Slaadi regeneration is far, far too powerful for 5e. If you want to keep it, I'd recommend changing it to allow them to spend Hit Dice to heal as a bonus action without requiring a rest, or improving their healing during a short rest when they spend Hit Dice (maybe re-rolling 1s and 2s, or something similar).

I'd also suggest changing claws so that it improves their unarmed strike to 1d4 slashing damage rather than giving them a 1d6 natural weapon, but also give them a second unarmed strike that they can use as though they were dual wielding.

Ralcos
2016-01-30, 01:21 PM
Slaadi regeneration is far, far too powerful for 5e. If you want to keep it, I'd recommend changing it to allow them to spend Hit Dice to heal as a bonus action without requiring a rest, or improving their healing during a short rest when they spend Hit Dice (maybe re-rolling 1s and 2s, or something similar).

I'd also suggest changing claws so that it improves their unarmed strike to 1d4 slashing damage rather than giving them a 1d6 natural weapon, but also give them a second unarmed strike that they can use as though they were dual wielding.

Updated based on suggestion.

Edge
2016-01-30, 02:07 PM
Slaadi Heritage doesn't work like you're hoping, purely because beneficial spells have no saving throws associated with them, and therefore there's nothing for the demi-slaad to make their save against. Personally, I'd drop this feature, or change it to an energy resistance randomly selected after a long rest. I'm also iffy about Racial Heritage, but then I'm just used to 3.x's chaonds and planetouched in general having little or no mechanical difference based on their non-planar heritage.

M Placeholder
2016-01-31, 04:56 AM
Slaadi Heritage (Gnomish Cunning on 'Roids) and Slaadi Regenaration make this race overpowered, especially as written, you can roll hit dice every turn, and if you are a barbarian and do standard array, thats at least 4 hit points every turn you get back. Its still powerful if youre a wizard or a Sorcerer.

This needs some serious nerfing.

Edge
2016-01-31, 06:45 AM
Slaadi Heritage (Gnomish Cunning on 'Roids) and Slaadi Regenaration make this race overpowered, especially as written, you can roll hit dice every turn, and if you are a barbarian and do standard array, thats at least 4 hit points every turn you get back. Its still powerful if youre a wizard or a Sorcerer.

This needs some serious nerfing.

Agreed on the Slaadi Heritage. I missed the wording issue on Slaadi Regeneration - it really does need to specify that you're expending your usual Hit Dice that you can use to heal because, as it stands, they can keeping rolling one Hit Die an unlimited number of times. Address this, and I think the feature is balanced. The opportunity cost of missing out on a second claw attack and the fact that you're depriving yourself of a healing resource for later in the day seems enough of a downside.

Amnoriath
2016-01-31, 08:59 AM
Agreed on the Slaadi Heritage. I missed the wording issue on Slaadi Regeneration - it really does need to specify that you're expending your usual Hit Dice that you can use to heal because, as it stands, they can keeping rolling one Hit Die an unlimited number of times. Address this, and I think the feature is balanced. The opportunity cost of missing out on a second claw attack and the fact that you're depriving yourself of a healing resource for later in the day seems enough of a downside.

No, it needs more than that. On top of getting Spell Resistance it gains at will telepathy, small weapons, Racial Heritage which can sometimes define the entire another race by itself. No other lineage based race gains this choice especially when it includes another lineage based race in its choices. According to the Musicus Points alone the spell resistance and the stats put you at the sweet spot.

Edge
2016-01-31, 09:42 AM
No, it needs more than that. On top of getting Spell Resistance it gains at will telepathy, small weapons, Racial Heritage which can sometimes define the entire another race by itself. No other lineage based race gains this choice especially when it includes another lineage based race in its choices. According to the Musicus Points alone the spell resistance and the stats put you at the sweet spot.

Sorry, to clarify: the changes I proposed would make the Regeneration feature balanced, and not inherently broken. The race, I agree, would still be overpowered. The Slaadi Heritage feature really needs to be axed. I'd also remove the Racial Heritage (purely because I dislike the idea, and because no other planetouched races do anything similar).

Regarding telepathy, I've seen your opinions on it in other threads Amnoriath, and whilst I disagree with you about its potency as a trait, I would personally remove it here - it's not an iconic ability of the slaadi.

At this stage, what I'd suggest is:

Remove Racial Heritage.
Remove Slaadi Heritage.
Do one of two things - grant them thunder resistance (3.5 slaadi were one of the few creatures with sonic resistance) OR
Give them a trait similar to the tiefling's Infernal Magic, with the 2nd level spell being shatter.

Ralcos
2016-01-31, 05:21 PM
Sorry, to clarify: the changes I proposed would make the Regeneration feature balanced, and not inherently broken. The race, I agree, would still be overpowered. The Slaadi Heritage feature really needs to be axed. I'd also remove the Racial Heritage (purely because I dislike the idea, and because no other planetouched races do anything similar).

Regarding telepathy, I've seen your opinions on it in other threads Amnoriath, and whilst I disagree with you about its potency as a trait, I would personally remove it here - it's not an iconic ability of the slaadi.

At this stage, what I'd suggest is:

Remove Racial Heritage.
Remove Slaadi Heritage.
Do one of two things - grant them thunder resistance (3.5 slaadi were one of the few creatures with sonic resistance) OR
Give them a trait similar to the tiefling's Infernal Magic, with the 2nd level spell being shatter.

Made the changes, based on suggestions.

Edge
2016-01-31, 06:24 PM
Slaadi Regeneration. As long as you have at least 1 hit point, you can regain hit points as a Bonus Action, rolling one of your hit dice used for healing during a Rest and adding your Constitution modifier to the result.

As I said, this really needs to be worded differently to avoid infinite healing abuse. Like so:

Slaadi Regeneration. You may expend one of your Hit Dice to heal as though taking a short rest as a bonus action. You can only expend a Hit Die in this manner as long as you have 1 hit point or more.

Ralcos
2016-01-31, 09:25 PM
As I said, this really needs to be worded differently to avoid infinite healing abuse. Like so:

Much better. Thanks for the help.