PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Go About Making Your Spell List?

Aeradom
2016-01-30, 06:01 PM
To be clear, this isn't a "what's the best spells I should choose" sort of question. I meant, what types of spells should constitute my list. I realized I had an issue when I looked at my spells list, went into the game and discovered all my spells (well except for my cantrips) were concentration spells. So obviously that wasn't going to fly. So besides that, I was just wondering what I should be doing with my spells? I guess it varies on what type of spellcaster, or what role your looking to fill. SO to be clear, I'm playing a more support character, with a slant on a charmer.. or whatever roll that fills. I'm a multiclassing bard that's dipping into levels of Sorcerer. Again, not looking for an exact spell list, just hwo to constuct it is all.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-30, 06:15 PM
Pick one spell per level that you must have or that you really really like.

Write it down.

Put a C next to it if it's concentration.

Now, for each level that there isn't a C, pick a spell that has concentration that you really really want. If none, then just pick spells that you like.

Now, be flexible, if there is a second C spell that you really want, take it, but no more than 2 per level (unless you decide one to always be cast in a higher level slot).

Fill in what spell you want.

Now as you level up you already have your spell list ready.

====

Essentially make a skeleton list (your must haves), then add some muscle (your needs), then add some flavor (your wants).

Aeradom
2016-01-30, 06:31 PM

Write it down.

Now, for each level that there isn't a C, pick a spell that has concentration that you really really want. If none, then just pick spells that you like.

Now, be flexible, if there is a second C spell that you really want, take it, but no more than 2 per level (unless you decide one to always be cast in a higher level slot).

====

Essentially make a skeleton list (your must haves), then add some muscle (your needs), then add some flavor (your wants).

But I have so many spells I want, it's a bit dificult to narrow down. I guess what I'm asking in a way is, is it important to have like twice as many non concentration spells, or is it okay to have like hafl your spells be them if their useful?

Nicodiemus
2016-01-30, 06:46 PM
I look for synergy and utility. Concentration is a real important factor which is why it was already mentioned. I'm playing a bladesinger, and I knew I was going to be using magic weapon as my concentration spell pretty often, so rather than take blur for defense (which is also con) I took mirror image which isn't optimized, but does what I want my character to do. I'm big on terrain control, so I like grease and web and spells like that, too

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-30, 06:56 PM
But I have so many spells I want, it's a bit dificult to narrow down. I guess what I'm asking in a way is, is it important to have like twice as many non concentration spells, or is it okay to have like hafl your spells be them if their useful?

Start with the ones your character *needs* in order to fit the character you are making. This is only something you can do unless you ask for specific help (character details and stuff). What's best is that you have fun, there is no right or wrong way to have fun.

My general rule is to take the number of spell levels I have. That is the number of concentration spells I can have.

So if I have three levels worth of spells, I can have three concentration spells.

However they can be broken up into any level of spell I want. I could have all three be first level spells or one per spell level.

I will typically assign them to a spell level and only cast them out of that spells level.

Everything else I fill in with whatever fits my character and looks fun.

Say I have a Bard that tells dad jokes. I have third level spells.

My cantrip of choice would be vicious mockery.

1st
Tasha's Hideous Laughter: Laugh or I'll make you laugh with my dad jokes.

2nd
Suggestion: Don't like my jokes? Go dig a hole in the back yard/go get me a beer.

3rd
Hypnotic Pattern: My dad jokes are so wicked that people are befuddled.

Those are the spells I feel I *need* for my character to work.

I then add in non-concentration spells.

If I didn't have a concentration spell I would just start filling in with non-concentration spells.

Concentration is a limited resource, there is no reason to have all concentration spells as you are just limiting yourself.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-30, 06:57 PM
I usually ask myself what my character would choose - I view picking spells as a roleplaying decision first and foremost. I look at why my character became a spellcaster and pick the spells that would appeal to them. It works for me.

CantigThimble
2016-01-30, 07:07 PM
I typically try to keep it down to one combat spell per spell level with concentration. I like having other more niche concentration spells available but not prepared on characters like Clerics or Wizards until I get to a day where I'm likely to need them. (i.e. Normally my level 3 concentration spell is haste, but we're in the mountains today so I'll go with fly instead or maybe in addition to it.) If I expect a spell to primarily be used out of combat like enhance ability then I won't count that towards the 1 per spell level limit because I probably won't want both that and a combat buff going at the same time. Otherwise I'll try to prepare at least 1 combat spell per level and make the rest out of combat spells.

Edgerunner
2016-01-30, 07:24 PM

Write it down.

====

Same here.
I go thru and hit all the Must Have Concentration spells first because if you're going to have any issues it's going to be deciding which "C" spell Must be up at any given time. The rest is just Icing.

busterswd
2016-01-30, 07:40 PM
Most of the best spells in the game are concentration, which isn't a big deal; concentration can get broken, and you'll have more than one fight to use spells in. Shoot for having a cantrip that's worth a damn and then at least one or two non-concentration spells you can use in case you need to contribute more in a difficult fight. Blindness/Deafness is a great example. It's a low level spell slot with a fairly significant debuff and no concentration requirement.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-30, 08:14 PM
Most of the best spells in the game are concentration, which isn't a big deal; concentration can get broken, and you'll have more than one fight to use spells in. Shoot for having a cantrip that's worth a damn and then at least one or two non-concentration spells you can use in case you need to contribute more in a difficult fight. Blindness/Deafness is a great example. It's a low level spell slot with a fairly significant debuff and no concentration requirement.

Ehhh... Not really.

There are a lot of great concentration spells but there are a lot of great non-concentration spells.

Barkskin is concentration and quickly looses its usefulness. Meanwhile shield, a level 1 spell, isn't concentration and never looses its usefulness.