PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What spells to prepare?

Unregistered
2016-01-30, 09:01 PM
Hello everyone!

5e is my first serious step into playing a Wizard in D&D. But I am really struggling which spells I should prepare and I am hoping for some insight (maybe general advice).

Two notes in advance:

First, my character is far from optimized and that is on purpose. I wanted to play a Wizard that is more or less a (good-natured) swindler: taking the money of others by selling them worthless crap and the like, using bluff and running away/hiding when trouble arises. Second, my character is not really suitable for the campaign we're playing. Our DM warned me beforehand so I have nobody to blame but myself for being so fixed on the character concept.

So, I am a Human (Variant) Illusionist, level 7 atm (level 8 not too far away). We're playing a campaign that is set mostly in the underworld, Dark Elves and Duergar territory.

Str: 8 Dex: 14 Con: 10 Int: 18 Wis: 12 Cha: 14
30 HP, Feat: Skilled Skills: Arcana, Deception, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Sleight of Hand, Stealth.

Owl Familiar.

No magical artificats or other trappings worth mentioning (well, a cursed 2-Handed-Axe that makes me go into melee more often than is sane).

Spell Save DC: 15, Spell Attack Bonus + 7, 11 spells to prepare

My spell list (there were very few occasions to learn new spells besides leveling up):

Cantrips:
Light, Prestidigation, Ray of Frost, Minor Illusion, Shocking Grasp

Lvl 1 (4 slots):
Unseen Servant (R), Comprehend Languages (R), Expeditious Retreat, Disguise Self, Sleep, Silent Image, Find Familiar (R), Shield, Color Spray, Magic Missile, Thunderwave, Mage Armor, Detect Magic, Rock Bolt (not in the PHB don't know where it came from: Ranged spell attack (30ft), 4d6 bludgeoning, creature must make Str saving throw or be knocked prone) - there are other spells of this unkown source but I haven't really bothered with them, so I leave them out).

Lvl 2 (3 slots):
Invisibility, Phantasmal Force, Suggestion, Misty Step, Darkvision

Lvl 3 (3 slots):
Major Image, Counterspell, Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, Dispel Magic, Fly

Lvl 4 (1 slot):
Greater Invisibility, Polymorph

My choice of prepared spells atm:

Shield, Mage Armor, Rock Bolt, Misty Step, Major Image, Counterspell, Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, Fly, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph.

I need Darkvision because more often than not, there's no light in the places we go to. But currently I have some sort of night vision goggles though it's clear they won't last forever. So I will be forced to take Darkvision again as a prepared spell in the future.

I am not totally happy with my prepared list but don't know what to do differently. It seems a bit all over the place. From a fluff perspective, I'd like to prepare "Expeditious Retreat" as it was planned to be my "signature spell" (get out of trouble!). But with Fly and Greater Invisibility, it's just not justifiable. Mage Armor and Shield because I am squishy and not always in the back. Rock Bolt because it's a low level damage dealing spell. Misty Step is just handy. Major Image because I am an Illusionist and I thought Hypnotic Pattern to sneak by guards (no application yet). Fireball because it's a classic and for a bit of punch. Fly, just like Misty Step, is just handy. Greater Invisibility seems to be a no-brainer for tough fights and Polymorph in order to have the right physical attributes when needed.

So, any suggestions? Also, suggestions what new spells to take for level 8?

And last but not least: how can I use (make) scrolls in 5e? That would make it much easier...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, and I guess I'll pump up my Int to 20 on level 8.

SharkForce
2016-01-30, 09:43 PM
- practically speaking, the only way to make scrolls in 5e is to get really good at grovelling, until your DM is so disgusted that (s)he gives in and lets you make scrolls. there are no formal rules to cover it even remotely well.

- hypnotic pattern is an adequate spell for distracting guards i suppose. if you're lucky, or there are very few. it is a *much* better control spell. no really. just drop it in the middle of a fight as long as you can avoid hitting allies. DC 15 save or they lose their action until someone else decides to also give up their action. you can make as many threatening moves against their friends and allies as you like, they won't break free until you go after them.

-polymorph is a ludicrously good combat buff at your level. if all you did in the entire fight was polymorph someone (not yourself, you don't want to deal with concentration checks) into a giant ape (possibly also casting mage armour on them beforehand, animal AC sucks), you earned your place in that fight. not only did you probably almost double their damage output, they're also huge (much better at taking up space so enemies can't get through), can grapple if the original person couldn't, have a ranged attack, are smart enough to understand language and work with the party, and it doesn't matter if they lose the ape's HP because once that's gone, they turn right back into themselves and all that damage the enemies dealt to deal with them just went down the drain.

- for level 2 spells, i would put some serious effort into learning web. you really want a dex-save aoe control spell (ideally you want one of each, but strong is not so easy to pull off), and dex is pretty much the best one you can get.

- for similar reasons (except con-save based), i recommend you attempt to gain access to stinking cloud as a level 3 spell if you can find it.

- no mirror image? it's a great spell for any wizard, i'm surprised you didn't pick it up. another wonderful spell for keeping enemies from hitting you, and concentration-free.

- with a light spell and the unseen servant cantrip, you don't need darkvision that badly. just have the servant carry a shiny rock for you, up ahead of the group. if you would consider a familiar that can see in absolute darkness (say, a bat) you wouldn't even need the light for general travel since you can borrow their senses (depending on how your darkvision goggles work, if it's use-based rather than time-based, you may even be able to extend their usefulness as well) and could just cast the light spell as needed and give the unseen servant a lantern that you can shut tight, then order the servant to open the lantern once a battle begins.

- when you level up, banishment is definitely something to consider. it's one of the few cha-save control spells in the game, and it even fits with your theme (they can't chase you if they're incapacitated in a demi-plane).

- arcane eye can be a useful spell for getting scouting done if you feel like you must choose level 4 spells. a prepared wizard is a dangerous one, and one full hour of scouting can be very helpful. even a semi-prepared wizard with a prepared party is a thing to be feared; most even encounters get a lot easier when you know they're coming up in 2 minutes. remember, you can travel while concentrating on and controlling the eye. it does not make you blind like several other scouting type spells do.

- fire shield is a concentration-free incentive to not hit you for enemies as well as damage resistance against fire or cold. it will presumably also light up the area you're in.

- your spells when you level up do not *need* to be the highest level you can cast. if you feel like a lower-level spell would be a better choice, take the lower-level spell.

Flashy
2016-01-30, 09:52 PM
- practically speaking, the only way to make scrolls in 5e is to get really good at grovelling, until your DM is so disgusted that (s)he gives in and lets you make scrolls. there are no formal rules to cover it even remotely well.
I actually laughed out loud at that. It's accurate, too.

- hypnotic pattern is an adequate spell for distracting guards i suppose. if you're lucky, or there are very few. it is a *much* better control spell. no really. just drop it in the middle of a fight as long as you can avoid hitting allies. DC 15 save or they lose their action until someone else decides to also give up their action. you can make as many threatening moves against their friends and allies as you like, they won't break free until you go after them.

- when you level up, banishment is definitely something to consider. it's one of the few cha-save control spells in the game, and it even fits with your theme (they can't chase you if they're incapacitated in a demi-plane).
Basically only commented to reaffirm these two recommendations. Banishment in particular is shockingly good. It's an effective control spell that turns into the next best thing 5e has to a save or die if you're fighting fiends, celestials, or fey.

- fire shield is a concentration-free incentive to not hit you for enemies as well as damage resistance against fire or cold. it will presumably also light up the area you're in.
It's explicitly bright light in 10' and dim light in a further 10'.

Unregistered
2016-01-31, 07:21 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies so far - though they're more hints on what spells I should take than what spells I should prepare from my current spell list.

I asked our DM if I couldn't get around the "Darkvision requirement" with the cantrip "light" but he made it pretty clear that that would put me / our group (everyone else has darkvision as race/class feature) at a severe disadvantage because we would be days in more or less total darkness, everyone would/could see us/me approaching, ranged attacks / battlefield control is hindered if you only see 40 feet. And seeing through the familiar costs an action and leaves me blind and deaf - not ideal conditions for longer travel in darkness or in combat. Though maybe I am too narrow-minded here...

And I know that there are a lot of really good spells that I don't have (yet), especially "Mirror Image" but when should I have taken it and instead of what? Is it really better than Invisibility or Misty Step? If you just have 2 spells per level to choose, it's hard. And if I had Mirror Image which spell should I not prepare instead of it? Mage armor? Then no Mage Armor for my polymorphed ape party member and a ridiculous low AC for me. No Shield? That could work. Is it more powerful for defense and worth a higher spell slot? Same goes with Web -which prepared spell should it replace?
Same goes for learning spells from not the highest level. Should I really forego Polymorh/ Greater Invisibility (or now: Banishment, which I had in mind for the next level) for Web or Mirror Image?

Anyway, thanks again. I am still interested in suggestions what spells to chose as prepared...

And I think I'll start pestering my DM for Spell scrolls...

weaseldust
2016-01-31, 07:39 PM
Given your description, I would swap Expeditious Retreat in for Misty Step and Thunderwave in for Rock Bolt. Misty Step is mostly useful for escaping melee, for getting up high, for going into hiding, or for getting past a door or similar obstacle. You can often do the first better with Disengage + Expeditious Retreat, or Shocking Grasp + Expeditious Retreat. You can do the second with Fly, or by sending your familiar up in your place. You can do the third with Invisibility and the fourth with Thunderwave, Unseen Servant (as a ritual), or your familiar. Yes, there are cases where those won't work or will be less convenient than Misty Step, but you can cover enough cases that it probably isn't worth keeping Misty Step.

EDIT: I think you don't need Mirror Image if you have both Shield and at least one invisibility spell, since the former lets you stay in a fight but also avoid a hit and the latter lets you flee or get to a fight without much risk. The invisibility spells do require your concentration, but on occasions where you want to use them, it most likely isn't time to throw up another concentration spell yet.

You can probably choose between Web and Hypnotic Pattern each day depending on what kind of threats you expect to face. I don't see you need both.

SharkForce
2016-01-31, 08:25 PM
a regular hooded lantern can drop the light down to a 5 foot radius dim light. a custom one that drops it down to nothing (your light spell doesn't need oxygen to work) should be a simple matter. failing that, stuff it into another container, the main point is to have the servant carrying something with light on it but cover it up until a fight starts.

and the idea of the bat familiar is to have the bat provide your senses for you. to reduce disorientation, i recommend having the bat, say, hang in your hair. or on a hat. yes, it's no good in a fight. that's why you have the unseen servant carrying to (covered) lantern. meanwhile, you've probably got longer range blindsight than most of your party have darkvision.

as to which spells you have prepared, you have a fairly decent general-purpose list. the main thing with a wizard is to prepare spells so that you are prepared for what is coming up as best you can be.

bid
2016-01-31, 08:37 PM
Artificer wizard in whatever UA covering Eberron is the best you can get.

Unregistered
2016-02-03, 05:56 PM
Sorry that it took me some time to answer again!

Thanks for the further input. I might switch out Misty Step for Exp. Retreat and Thunderwave, though not sure.

Another problem I see with the Unseen Servant carrying the light source is that I'd have to prepare Unseen Servant as a spell or cast the ritual every hour. Still, when the need arises, I'll ask him if my familiar can't be my eyes and ears for travel.

Thanks again and if anyone still want to give some input, please do so.

SharkForce
2016-02-03, 08:58 PM
casting a ritual every hour isn't *that* bad.