PDA

View Full Version : Level 6 Eagle Totem Barbarian Sight Optimization?

Kevingway
2016-01-31, 03:48 AM
When would being able to see out to a mile with pinpoint "non-fuzzy" accuracy come into play?

Is there a specific rule about sight or fine detail distinction that would make anyone with this feature optimal?

Take, for example, a creature trying to hide. This vision certainly wouldn't necessarily help me see them. It sounds like something that you can bring up to the DM so they can decide whether or not to give you advantage in certain situations.

And what about cover? Most things a mile out would surely be placed behind the convenient tree or building; when would I be able to see them at all? 3/4 cover doesn't have any specific rules regarding "ability to see them more clearly," right?

Just trying to make sense of it since I'm suddenly inspired by another recent thread to make a ranged character. I try to optimize without relying on DM fiat. Any help would be appreciated.

Hairfish
2016-01-31, 04:21 AM
I could see it coming into play with a warlock/sorcerer built for maximizing Eldritch Blast range (1200'), but that's a hell of a niche to drop 6 levels on.

Beyond that, it's damn good for scouting outdoor camps/armies and terrain. Your arcane caster can drop Levitate or Fly on you and you head up to survey the region for miles around. Or, with the sorclock, do it yourself and blast anything you want.

"General, even our warlock snipers will take half a minute of sustained fire just to be able to get in range to blast back at him. He also read what you were writing in your journal, before he shot it out of your hands. Maybe we should consider his demands?"

JellyPooga
2016-01-31, 06:36 AM
It's a niche ability at best, so it's going to be hard to find frequent circumstances it will help in.

It lets you see "as if no more than 100ft away". That's 30yrds (give or take). This is both incredibly useful and limiting at the same time.

For instance. Someone standing in the open a mile away is a speck on the horizon to normal vision, but to Eagle Vision they're bold as brass. I might, as GM, rule that to normal vision a character could Hide just by laying down; the distance providing effective cover. Against Eagle Vision guy, however, this would not be an option.

Similarly, most people would be unable to recognise a figures race, let alone their identity at a mile distant. Eagle Vision guy, though, can see your warts. Want to know who, exactly, is in that caravan you can all see on that ridge over there? Ask Eagle Vision Guy.

On the flipside, it won't let you see fine detail like words on a page, the precise details of a brooch someone is wearing or similar small scale things.

mephnick
2016-01-31, 08:06 AM
They really should have added some mechanical benefit to that totem, it's basically a ribbon at this point.

Now, I'm fine with RP stuff, but not when all the other choices at that level provide a strong mechanical benefit.

Naanomi
2016-01-31, 10:51 AM
Probably some use in a naval (or skyship) campaign

Corran
2016-01-31, 11:01 AM
Probably some use in a naval (or skyship) campaign
''You see the guy up there, in the crow's nest? He is up there for two reasons. Firstly, he can spot ships up to 1 mile away, and he can even spot even the slightest details, from their flag, to the colour of that ships' captain's socks. And all that without even a spyglass! And secondly....well.... he really has a bad temper, so we prefer to leave him up there for as long as possible...''

endur
2016-01-31, 01:30 PM
They really should have added some mechanical benefit to that totem, it's basically a ribbon at this point.

Now, I'm fine with RP stuff, but not when all the other choices at that level provide a strong mechanical benefit.

It is the best of the level 6 barbarian totem abilities.

Coyote81
2016-01-31, 04:22 PM
If you take a level of Rune Scribe and get the Wind Rune, you get an ability called Shrieking bolt. It's a Save to prvent damage, so cover doesn't help and it does great damage, and range is only limited by what you can see. So the Eagle Totom lets you do 2d8+1d8 per spell slot to a target and knock them away 10' per spell slot as well, on success save, half damage and no push.

strangebloke
2016-01-31, 06:47 PM

Being able to track and move stealthily at full speed is a strong mechanical ability?

Advantage on lifting checks is a strong mechanical ability?

They're all ribbons. Useful, sure, but definitely situational out-of-combat abilities.

Rhaegar14
2016-01-31, 06:49 PM
It is the best of the level 6 barbarian totem abilities.

Next to two skill proficiencies (Tiger totem from SCAG) I'm inclined to disagree.

Kevingway
2016-01-31, 07:14 PM
If you take a level of Rune Scribe and get the Wind Rune, you get an ability called Shrieking bolt. It's a Save to prvent damage, so cover doesn't help and it does great damage, and range is only limited by what you can see. So the Eagle Totom lets you do 2d8+1d8 per spell slot to a target and knock them away 10' per spell slot as well, on success save, half damage and no push.

Though I'm not familiar with the UA article this is tacked to, I'm sad that so far the only use of this feature comes from multiclassing.

Can't there be anything else?

Kane0
2016-01-31, 08:35 PM
I believe you can team it up with the observant feat to he able to lip read up to a mile away. Thatd be pretty damn handy in my current game.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-01, 05:14 AM
There are no rules or clear interpetation so sorry for my answer but DM depending