PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Working on a Star Wars Jedi campaign, need some advice.

KnockingDevil
2016-01-31, 06:35 AM
So I'm working on a new Star Wars Campaign, the basic premise of it is this. All of the players will all start out as Jedi Younglings and do things from learning how to use the force to finding and building their first lightsaber. Eventually they will progress to Padawans and then Jedi Knights.

That's the only part I'm 100% certain on yet. I'm still trying to decide when to set this. Before movies, if so how long before. After movies, if so how long. During the movies? Any advice/ opinions on this would be awesome.

I'm also not 100% sure just yet which system I want to use for this, I'm not too familiar with most of the SW rps out there and I know there are a few. So any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

I think that's most of it, I guess also if you have any cool things to share about Jedi training/ anything in that vein that would be cool too. So that's it, if you have anything to share please do!!

Rakaydos
2016-01-31, 03:52 PM
FFG Star wars has custom dice that people like to complain about, but they lead directly into very starwarsy moments of, "Well, you succede, but..."

As a jedi focused campain, dont bother looking at Edge of empire (that's for scum) or Age or Rebelion (military organization games), you want Force and Destiny, the black books.

The force is very XP heavy in the system, but has a lot of room for individuality. 0 XP is more like A New Hope Luke or Arthritic Old Ben (who's forgotten most of his prequel tricks), but there's an option to start somewhat shy of Phantom Menace power levels.

CharonsHelper
2016-01-31, 07:24 PM
Saga Edition is solid - especially if you and/or your players have any d20 experience. It's one of the most balanced d20 games around.

Now - there's only a single Jedi class (a lot of different prestige classes though - and the game is set up so that it expects you to take them) but you can still get a decent variety of characters for your players to play. A 1-2 level dip in something else can be pretty handy, even for a Jedi. Plus - there are several ways to play a Jedi based upon your stats. Wis/Cha for force-using (with the Block/Deflect talents for defense). Str for melee damage and wear armor. High Dex and ignore armor (eventually can get dex to damage). Or a jack-of-all-trades character.

The game plays best when you start at level 3-5ish, but as younglings you might stick with starting at 1 and just accelerate their leveling.

Also of note - probably the only way to get OP early game is Skill Focus: Use the Force. It's good but not OP as you level, but for the first few levels it's crazy good. You might consider banning it until at least 5ish.

Mechalich
2016-01-31, 08:08 PM
Fluff wise the codified Younglings-Initiates-Padawans-Knights process, with the various trials steps and so forth only functions during the 1000 BBY - 18 BBY period (Legends continuity). That basically leaves you with before the prequels by a lot, before the prequels by a little, during the prequels between I and II, or during the clone wars.

I'd suggest between I and II personally. There's a fair amount of Legends stuff produced for that period that can be used to work with and exciting things are happening but it's not yet outright galactic war. You can still use most of the extant Clone Wars knights and Masters as NPCs if you want too.

CharonsHelper
2016-02-01, 12:07 AM
I'd suggest between I and II personally. There's a fair amount of Legends stuff produced for that period that can be used to work with and exciting things are happening but it's not yet outright galactic war. You can still use most of the extant Clone Wars knights and Masters as NPCs if you want too.

Yes - there's some cool stuff in there. I will say - the big disadvantage to that time period vs pre-DB (Darth Bane) is that there aren't going to be any Sith to fight. We already know where all the Sith are and pretty much what they're doing. If you go back before Darth Bane and his Rule of Two, you can have bunches of various Sith groups around from them to square off against. And - I've gotta say - nothing quite beats a lightsaber duel for awesome points.

Gerner
2016-02-01, 08:24 AM
Personally if I had to make an all Jedi campaign I would base mine in the really early years using Odan-Urr as their master http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Odan-Urr

Base it around learning the Jedi code in the early phase of the game and see there the players go in there development... and slowly introducing a bad guy based on there actions.

Lacco
2016-02-01, 08:40 AM
So I'm working on a new Star Wars Campaign, the basic premise of it is this. All of the players will all start out as Jedi Younglings and do things from learning how to use the force to finding and building their first lightsaber. Eventually they will progress to Padawans and then Jedi Knights.

That's the only part I'm 100% certain on yet. I'm still trying to decide when to set this. Before movies, if so how long before. After movies, if so how long. During the movies? Any advice/ opinions on this would be awesome.

(Disclaimer: I'm not versed with the canon SW and have no idea about the system, but your first paragraph gave me an idea...)

I would start with younglings in the Republic era, before the Naboo thing. I wouldn't tell them the year/anything specific (they are still younglings so they know nearly nothing except the Jedi Temple). When they finish the first part (lightsaber building), I would run a video (the 3d something they use) of news from Naboo Blockade, thus showing them WHEN they live.

Then I would advance them to Padawans and use the whole Clone Wars thing. And then, again advance to Knights... and start countdown until the big slaughter of Jedis. Of course, then there is a question - should they retire their characters so they can make new ones, which will bump into the "old ones", starting a new generation...?

Mechalich
2016-02-01, 07:35 PM
Yes - there's some cool stuff in there. I will say - the big disadvantage to that time period vs pre-DB (Darth Bane) is that there aren't going to be any Sith to fight. We already know where all the Sith are and pretty much what they're doing. If you go back before Darth Bane and his Rule of Two, you can have bunches of various Sith groups around from them to square off against. And - I've gotta say - nothing quite beats a lightsaber duel for awesome points.

While this is true, there's an issue of big gaps in the Legends timeline. Unless you're willing to invent a huge amount of stuff yourself you have an operational framework of around 60 BBY to 18 BBY for late-term Old Republic stories, and otherwise you have to haul things back all the way to the TOR era over three thousand years earlier to have both rules support and familiar ships, weapons, and worlds. Running things during the New Sith Wars would be cool, but there's not any coherent description of what that period looked like - just a few weird glimpses in the Knight Errant material.

If lightsaber duels are a thing you want you can always spot-up a dark jedi faction for that, you don't need actual cultural Sith, and some of the lesser notable dark side groups are not likely to be averse to lightsaber use (the Bando Gora for example).