PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question about Suppress Requirement

Chester
2016-01-31, 08:38 AM
Hello. :smallsmile:

The spell Suppress Requirement (ECS, p. 116) states:

"You alter a magic item that requires a certain class feature, race, ability score, or alignment to function to its fullest potential, so that it no longer carries that requirement. You must make a Use Magic Device check sufficient to emulate the requirement as if you were attempting to use the item yourself. If you succeed, the requirement is suppressed for the duration of this infusion."

Basically I want to know if you can cast Suppress Requirement so that another player can use the device.

For example: I'm playing a Warforged melee character. If I get the Wand Sheath component and put a Wand of Fireballs in there, can my Artificer buddy cast Suppress Requirement so that I can use the wand myself? Also, can we get Permanency cast on it as well so that I basically have a built-in rocket launcher?

Darrin
2016-01-31, 10:13 AM
For example: I'm playing a Warforged melee character. If I get the Wand Sheath component and put a Wand of Fireballs in there, can my Artificer buddy cast Suppress Requirement so that I can use the wand myself?

My initial answer was "No", but I took a look at the text. ECS p. 268:

"These components only work when bonded to the body of a warforged; they are not usable by members of any other race."

With that in mind... I'm not sure. My inclination would be, the spell can circumvent the "warforged only" requirement, but to my mind the wand sheath would still need to be bonded to the body of the user, which could be messy on a non-warforged. Adding the Mighty Arms graft (1000 GP, Faiths of Eberron) might be necessary, as it allows warforged components to be installed in it. After that, the supress requirement spell would allow a non-warforged to activate the wand.

Also, can we get Permanency cast on it as well so that I basically have a built-in rocket launcher?

No. Permanency has a "white list" of spells that it can be applied to, and supress requirement is not on the list.

Chester
2016-01-31, 11:16 AM
My initial answer was "No", but I took a look at the text. ECS p. 268:

"These components only work when bonded to the body of a warforged; they are not usable by members of any other race."

With that in mind... I'm not sure. My inclination would be, the spell can circumvent the "warforged only" requirement, but to my mind the wand sheath would still need to be bonded to the body of the user, which could be messy on a non-warforged. Adding the Mighty Arms graft (1000 GP, Faiths of Eberron) might be necessary, as it allows warforged components to be installed in it. After that, the supress requirement spell would allow a non-warforged to activate the wand.

No. Permanency has a "white list" of spells that it can be applied to, and supress requirement is not on the list.

Rephrase: I'm the warforged. I have the wand in my wand sheath. The human artificer would cast the spell on the wand so I can actually use it.

MisterKaws
2016-01-31, 11:21 AM
*Insert text block*

He's not talking about the Wand Sheath's requirements, he's talking about the wand itself, and the requirement of having that spell in your list to cast it. Swordsage'd?

The answer is yes, you can do that, and that's what the infusion was made for, because an Artificer could already suppress the requirements for themselves by using UMD.

Now, even though it's unrelated, Darrin is right about the components, because they're not use-restricted by magic, they're simply restricted to Warforged because of mundane requirements(not being able to fit the component in your body).

About the permanency: You could try asking your friendly cleric to use Miracle to ask his god to Alter Reality over the Suppress Requirements infusion to make it permanent, that's really the only legal way, and can constitute either a standard Miracle or a greater effect, depending on DM.

Chester
2016-01-31, 12:28 PM
Yeah....I may have to find another way to get a rocket launcher.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-31, 12:43 PM
You can apply unguent of timelessness to the wand, provided that it is a wooden (or other organic, such as bone) wand. That makes time pass more slowly, at a rate of 1 day per year. With suppress requirement's base duration of 10 minutes per level, you can make it last 3650 minutes/61 hours/2.54 days per level instead. It's a pretty cheap solution, at 150 gp per jar of unguent, but very cheesy.

Beware for DM anger: they make rule it takes 365 standard actions to activate the wand.