PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy Levels?

LordOfCain
2016-01-31, 10:26 AM
Could you use curse of lycanthropy to get animal hit dice, then get level drained by a wraith or enervation or whatever you have and then use restoration to get levels in say... wizard? :smalleek:

Beheld
2016-01-31, 11:02 AM
Could you use curse of lycanthropy to get animal hit dice, then get level drained by a wraith or enervation or whatever you have and then use restoration to get levels in say... wizard? :smalleek:

I'm pretty sure whether Restoration restores the specific level you lost or allows you to choose a new level is completely undefined.

Segev
2016-01-31, 11:03 AM
Moreover, I've seen the argument made that you lose class levels before racial HD, regardless of the order you gained them.

I don't have a source to cite for this; I've merely seen it argued. It seems, if nothing else, a highly reasonable house rule.

Beheld
2016-01-31, 11:12 AM
I don't have a source to cite for this; I've merely seen it argued. It seems, if nothing else, a highly reasonable house rule.

It really doesn't. It seems like a hamfisted kludge specifically to deal with only Lycanthropy, since all other Racial HD are taken before class levels, so the default rule of last in first out already does that for non lycan racial HD.

And as a ham fisted kludge of the houserule, it doesn't even do anything you would actually care about it has one of these effects:

1) "I'm preventing you from using Lycanthropy to gain XP!" Problem: No, you really aren't, because now they just take a negative level, restore the level, and then cure lycanthropy and level up. So your houserule doesn't even accomplish the goal.
2) "HAHA, **** your 10 character who only casts level 3 spells because you were afflicted with an absurd amount of useless racial HD and LA! Now you can only cast second level spells because you had a negative level! It's important to kick you when you are down!" Yeah, I'll pass.

Segev
2016-01-31, 12:08 PM
It really doesn't. It seems like a hamfisted kludge specifically to deal with only Lycanthropy, since all other Racial HD are taken before class levels, so the default rule of last in first out already does that for non lycan racial HD.

And as a ham fisted kludge of the houserule, it doesn't even do anything you would actually care about it has one of these effects:

1) "I'm preventing you from using Lycanthropy to gain XP!" Problem: No, you really aren't, because now they just take a negative level, restore the level, and then cure lycanthropy and level up. So your houserule doesn't even accomplish the goal.
2) "HAHA, **** your 10 character who only casts level 3 spells because you were afflicted with an absurd amount of useless racial HD and LA! Now you can only cast second level spells because you had a negative level! It's important to kick you when you are down!" Yeah, I'll pass.

...okay. The hostility is rather obnoxious, and unwarranted, since this is hardly "ham-fisted." Ham-fisted implies that it's an overkill reaction, and "kludge" implies that it's hard to execute. Neither is the case. You dislike one consequence of it, sure, and dismiss the benefits, which is fine if you don't think they're worth it.

Yes, it stings the poor guy who's cursed even more. It's a curse. Deal with it. If you have other rulings which you wish to use, feel free.

I will point out that the actual "cheese" usually invoked is to get Lycanthropy and then have it negative-leveled away, let those become peramanent level loss, and then gain non-racial class levels in their place. Essentially getting the huge stat bonuses for a high-HD animal and hybrid form for only a +2 LA. Which you can buy off either in 6 levels, or immediately (if you're 6 levels or higher), depending on how your DM rules LA buyoff working wrt post-chargen-acquired LA.

Necroticplague
2016-01-31, 01:12 PM
I don't think you can 'restore' a wizard level you never lost. If you lost and animal RHD, you'd restore an animal RHD.