PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a statue-like monster...

Miranius
2016-01-31, 02:18 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders!

First off, i am NOT looking for the infamous caryatid column or topairy guardians. What i have read some months ago bud sadly lost through my pc dying is the name and source of a statue-like creature, the fluff i think described it typically as a guardian of temples animated through divine magic.

If i remember correctly it was a construct, or living construct, and you could choose among a variety of special abilities for it....

Anways, my google-fu failed me so any help rediscovering this old treasure would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Miranius :)

Morof Stonehands
2016-01-31, 03:46 PM
A brief glance through some books, though they are not entirely as you described, but Rogue Eidolons (MM2) and Walking Statues of Waterdeep (City of Splendors-Waterdeep) are statue like creatures made as guardians.

Inevitability
2016-01-31, 04:49 PM
The 'variety of special abilities' makes me think of Astral Constructs, but they're psionic rather than divine.

Miranius
2016-01-31, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your help!

A good friend of mine pointed me to the "Sacred Guardian", from the Bestiary of Krynn, p.91, which was right on the spot!

Have a nice evening (or whatever it is in your timezone :) )!

Geddy2112
2016-02-01, 11:05 AM
I know you already found your answer OP, but if you ever need an evil version of this, pathfinder has the akaruzug (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/akaruzug) which is pretty awesome.

Miranius
2016-02-02, 06:17 AM
I know you already found your answer OP, but if you ever need an evil version of this, pathfinder has the akaruzug (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/akaruzug) which is pretty awesome.

Wow, that looks nasty.... :D It seems like magic item crafting in PF does not require XP ? What are the cliffnotes on the difference to how it is done in 3.5 ?

Thanks again for the hint, i think that litlte beauty might make an appearance once the PC's have a fighting chance...

Geddy2112
2016-02-02, 10:10 AM
Wow, that looks nasty.... :D It seems like magic item crafting in PF does not require XP ? What are the cliffnotes on the difference to how it is done in 3.5 ?

Thanks again for the hint, i think that litlte beauty might make an appearance once the PC's have a fighting chance...

Pathfinder did away with XP requirements for casting and crafting, instead requiring tons of money, or insanely expensive material components. For example, wish requires a diamond worth 25,000 gold instead of any XP. As a result, its best not too look to hard at pathfinder economics. Also, GP gets handed out a more freely than XP

It is one of my personal favorites, mainly for being an inherently evil aligned construct. Place it around other graves/mausoleums or statues or in an ominous place. Only time so far I used it, my cautious players summoned a few ponies around it, and watching them drop dead turned them off on the idea of going near it. They ended up passing on that graveyard side quest.