PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A question about Combat Feral Training and Wildshaping

Hogsy
2016-01-31, 07:12 PM
So I just had a conversation with a person who insisted that I couldn't use Combat Feral Training to make a flurry of blows or to make my natural attacks qualify for style feats while being wildshaped into an Allosaurus because the natural attacks of the allosaurus weren't my own. To be able and qualify for weapon focus(claws) you'd have to either get a race with natural claws or get them through racial feats and racial heritage. My question is whether this is supported by any kind of rule or it's just the way he interpreted the feat. My DM allowed it so I don't really care but it's the first time I've seen this since I've seen a lot of discussions regarding wildshaping and CFT. I would personally also argue that since I'm wildshaped into an Allosaurus for 16 hours a day I'd be able to eventually qualify for the feat because his problem with the way I used CFT originally wasn't rule-oriented.

"Feral Combat Training (Combat)
You were taught a style of martial arts that relies on the natural weapons from your racial ability or class feature.

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus with selected natural weapon.

Benefit: Choose one of your natural weapons. While using the selected natural weapon, you can apply the effects of feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite.

Special: If you are a monk, you can use the selected natural weapon with your flurry of blows class feature."

Psyren
2016-01-31, 10:02 PM
Your reading is correct - Feral Combat Training does let you use style feats with claws. (There are exceptions to this, e.g. the weapon styles in WMH that don't have IUS as a prerequisite, as well as Pummeling Style, but this does work with the rest.)

Similarly, you are correct that Weapon Focus (claw) is a legal choice for a wildshaping druid. Wildshape inherits from Beast Shape, which in turn inherits from the polymorph rules, which grants you proficiency with any natural weapons possessed by the form you assume. Thus, you qualify for WF (claw) for as long as you inhabit a form with claws.

Necroticplague
2016-01-31, 10:09 PM
If you're Wildshaped into something, those claws ARE yours. Whose else would they be? Of course, that feat wouldn't do you much good when you don't have claws, but it's still valid. I don't see anything in Weapon Focus requiring you to actually have what you take it for, so Weapon Focus (claws) is valid even if you don't have claws. I'm not sure what PFs stance on temporary qualification is, but assuming it inherits the relevant stuff from 3.5, I see no reason why you couldn't simply this wouldn't work.

Psyren
2016-01-31, 10:15 PM
PF works just like 3.5 in this regard - if you stop qualifying for a feat, you can't use it, but you get to keep the feat and will be able to resume using it as soon as you qualify again.

In the case of WF (claw), you'll get claw proficiency every time you wildshape into something with claws, thus activating the feat once more. Or if your race is something that has claws natively, you'll just be proficient all the time. Either way, Weapon Focus (claw) works just fine.

Hogsy
2016-02-01, 07:29 PM
Yeah, seems to me that the guy who told me about it was probably pissy due to a player optimising his wildshaped monk to hell dealing tons of d8s . But to me that build(with a bit of tweaking if the rest of the party/campaign isn't on the same power level as the full potential of this build) could be dealing the same damage of an Archer but in a different flavour. Aren't people bored of having so many archers in their campaigns yet? (Personally my favourite archer build is with a Leadership Bard who could also be an archer optimising for his Inspire Courage and using a Ranger cohort that grants half his FE to his allies for maximum numerical bonuses :3, even if you don't use an Instant Enemy wand to let your friends use half of that tasty +18 FE bonus you could still go for a Divine Marksman and give them half of your +9 on all monsters at all times. It's pretty cool!)