PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me?

Alteisen Reise
2016-01-31, 07:45 PM
I would like to know why no-one uses darts. I have yet to find a single helpful thing on darts that is 3.5. all i ever see is 2nd stuff. And i know back then throwing darts got you an absurd number of attacks.

my question is why haven't people been trying to use darts in 3.5?

Necroticplague
2016-01-31, 07:54 PM
I would like to know why no-one uses darts. I have yet to find a single helpful thing on darts that is 3.5. all i ever see is 2nd stuff. And i know back then throwing darts got you an absurd number of attacks.

my question is why haven't people been trying to use darts in 3.5?

Because rules change. They got rid of all the stupid stuff about weapon speed that let you attack with dart very quickly, and dart specialization for another attack doesn't exist anymore. Now they're just bog standard throwing weapons. Good range increment (20 feet, when most throwing ones seem to have 10 feet), but nothing impressive otherwise.

Crake
2016-01-31, 07:55 PM
The answer lies in the fact that slings exist and that piercing damage is practically useless for anything, so there is literally no advantage for using a dart over a sling. The sling has no weight, and it's ammo weighs the same for each attack, but bullets are way cheaper, have 2.5x the range, and since they aren't counted as a thrown weapon, can fire up to 10x their increment, rather than 5x.

One could of course argue that you can recover darts but not sling ammunition, but if you can find me a DM who would actually say you can't recover small lead pellets, i'd be impressed.

frogglesmash
2016-01-31, 07:55 PM
My guess is because both shurikens and daggers make for better throwing weapons. Daggers are better because there are a couple half decent PrCs that focus on their use, and Shurikens are better because they get treated as ammo for crafting/pricing purposes. Darts would probably work fine in any a number of throwing builds, but they're not the best option.

Alteisen Reise
2016-01-31, 08:51 PM
My guess is because both shurikens and daggers make for better throwing weapons. Daggers are better because there are a couple half decent PrCs that focus on their use, and Shurikens are better because they get treated as ammo for crafting/pricing purposes. Darts would probably work fine in any a number of throwing builds, but they're not the best option.

thank you guys for replying so fast.

i know about a few of the prestige classes, but the one i wanted to use darts for was the master thrower. if i can get a blinkback belt approved by my DM darts, heck even a wushu dart, become more attractive due to weight concerns.

it is also for this reason that i would prefer to stick to thrown weapons rather than projectile.

DrMotives
2016-01-31, 09:15 PM
I suppose you could homebrew some more support for them. Allow them to be enchanted as ammo, like shurikens are. Make an atl-atl, which would allow you 10 range increments and all the other enchantment perks of a launched ranged weapon. But even still, thrown weapons are pretty meh in D&D, almost any edition.