PDA

View Full Version : Elemental change - metamagic option (homebrew)

Seth1221
2016-02-01, 02:53 AM
Hi guys,

My player has been asking about the option for him to change the damage type his spells are dealing. He is playing a sorcerer with red dragon ancestor. I have been thinking about something like this:

Elemental change
Pay 1 sorcery point to change the damage type of a spell to the type of your dragon ancestor.
Pay 2 sorcery points to change the damage type of the spell to any other damage type (except force)

What do you guys think? Will that upset balance? What other possibilites do you see? Mabye a feat would suit better?

RickAllison
2016-02-01, 08:12 AM
Hi guys,

My player has been asking about the option for him to change the damage type his spells are dealing. He is playing a sorcerer with red dragon ancestor. I have been thinking about something like this:

Elemental change
Pay 1 sorcery point to change the damage type of a spell to the type of your dragon ancestor.
Pay 2 sorcery points to change the damage type of the spell to any other damage type (except force)

What do you guys think? Will that upset balance? What other possibilites do you see? Mabye a feat would suit better?

It would be best to keep it restricted to the dragon-breath damage types. If you allow radiant damage, it steps on a lot of toes and is resisted by so few enemies as to make it equivalent to force.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-01, 10:03 AM
It would be best to keep it restricted to the dragon-breath damage types. If you allow radiant damage, it steps on a lot of toes and is resisted by so few enemies as to make it equivalent to force.

Agreed. Furthermore, radiant really doesn't make sense for most Sorcerers, given that by my count they have only two radiant damage spells (Sunbeam and Sunburst - both of which are high level)