PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Soul and Elemental Affinity

Spectre9000
2016-02-01, 09:46 AM
So, if you have a Paladin 11, Undying Light Warlock 1, and Draconic(Blue) Sorcerer 6, you have the following abilities: Improved Divine Smite (+1d8 radiant dmg on every melee strike), Radiant Soul (+Cha to radiant dmg), Elemental Weapon (weapon buff adding elemental dmg), and Elemental Affinity (+Cha to spells dealing specific element dmg).

As Elemental Affinity and Radiant Soul read, you add the +Cha damage to their specific effects. So, as I'm reading it, I'm adding the +Cha to the Improved Divine Smite feature via Radiant Soul, then also adding it to the Elemental Weapon Spell via Elemental Affinity, which isn't directly adding it to the same thing, though it all ends up on the same weapon. If I had a weapon I used Elemental Weapon on, giving it lightning damage, and I had the Blue (lightning) dragon Draconic bloodline from sorcerer, would the +Cha be applied to both the Improved Divine Smite damage and the damage from Elemental Weapon?

Pertinent info:

By 11th level, you are so suffused with righteous might that all your melee weapon strikes carry divine power with them. Whenever you hit a creature with a melee weapon, the creature takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage.

A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.

Starting at 1st level, your link to the Positive Plane allows you to serve as a conduit for radiant energy. You have resistance to radiant damage, and when you cast a spell that deals radiant damage or fire damage, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your draconic ancestry, add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

Corran
2016-02-01, 09:48 AM
Why not use elemental weapon fire, and combine it with fire sorcerer? That way radiant soul also adds more damage, due to using fire damage.

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-01, 09:56 AM
Nope. "Damage Rolls" on page 196 of the PH state that you roll the damage dice, then add any modifiers.

The DMG errata states that any game mechanic with the same name doesn't stack. "+ CHA modifier to damage" is the same mechanic and therefore doesn't stack.

Corran
2016-02-01, 10:03 AM
Nope. "Damage Rolls" on page 196 of the PH state that you roll the damage dice, then add any modifiers.

The DMG errata states that any game mechanic with the same name doesn't stack. "+ CHA modifier to damage" is the same mechanic and therefore doesn't stack.
Oh, I see. Shame....

Spectre9000
2016-02-01, 10:09 AM

Can you point me to this? Also, you went from "same name" to "same mechanic", which are two distinctly different things.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-01, 02:52 PM
Radiant Soul works only with spells. Divine Smite isn't a spell, so you won't get the bonus damage.

Elemental Affinity may not work with Elemental Weapon. It says you add your Cha to damage when you cast spell of that damage type, Elemental Weapon doesn't do damage when you cast it, but buffs your weapon. IMO, Elemental Affinity works only with direct damage spells like Lightning Bolt

joaber
2016-02-01, 10:46 PM
elemental affinity errata say: " The damage bonus applies to one damage roll of a spell, not multiple rolls". So basically if it work, will work only with the first attack you make with the elemental weapon.

Sacret weapon from Oath of Devotion can give you your Cha bonus to damage.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-01, 11:02 PM

It can give you cha to hit. And sacred has a d in it.

Quintessence
2016-02-01, 11:05 PM

The abilities have different names, that doesn't apply here :/

joaber
2016-02-01, 11:34 PM
It can give you cha to hit. And sacred has a d in it.

ops, my bad.

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-02, 12:22 AM
Can you point me to this? Also, you went from "same name" to "same mechanic", which are two distinctly different things.

Combining Game Effects (p. 252). This applies only to the 2nd printing of the DMG. Otherwise it's in the DMG Errata PDF.

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-02, 12:28 AM
The abilities have different names, that doesn't apply here :/

I was sure I'd previously read that you only apply your ability modifier once to damage rolls but I'll be darned if I can find where now!

So you're correct, and I need to be fully awake before I answer questions it seems…

RulesJD
2016-02-02, 01:02 AM
elemental affinity errata say: " The damage bonus applies to one damage roll of a spell, not multiple rolls". So basically if it work, will work only with the first attack you make with the elemental weapon.

Which I think we can all agree is a stupid ruling that makes zero logical sense, especially given DoT spells like Wall of Fire, etc. It's a defining class feature that should be at least on par with making a melee attack that adds your +str/dex mod on every single hit, not just one.

Quintessence
2016-02-02, 01:04 AM
Which I think we can all agree is a stupid ruling that makes zero logical sense, especially given DoT spells like Wall of Fire, etc. It's a defining class feature that should be at least on par with making a melee attack that adds your +str/dex mod on every single hit, not just one.

You know the best part about that? They didn't put that stipulation on the warlock agonizing blast or radiant soul... It is basically just a slap in the face :(

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-02, 01:07 AM
You know the best part about that? They didn't put that stipulation on the warlock agonizing blast or radiant soul... It is basically just a slap in the face :(

Or…its just a defining difference. Heck look at the 8th level Clerics class features. Even with the same class they sometimes get different options.

RulesJD
2016-02-02, 02:24 AM
Or…its just a defining difference. Heck look at the 8th level Clerics class features. Even with the same class they sometimes get different options.

Having a level 10 Evocation Wizard, a player who has dedicated significant time to a hard to play class at low level does a terrifying....5 more damage on a Wall of Fire than a normal wizard. That's their level freaking 10 class feature, on a class that already gets screwed with a level 6 feature that impacts....one cantrip from Elemental Evil that competes for a concentration slot anyways????? But they still let the +Int apply to Magic Missile (which I agree with), by far the most powerful use of the feature????

Screw that. I 100% ignore that ruling because it makes zero logical sense and breaks any sane reading of the rule. JC got this one wrong.

Citan
2016-02-02, 05:42 AM
So, if you have a Paladin 11, Undying Light Warlock 1, and Draconic(Blue) Sorcerer 6, you have the following abilities: Improved Divine Smite (+1d8 radiant dmg on every melee strike), Radiant Soul (+Cha to radiant dmg), Elemental Weapon (weapon buff adding elemental dmg), and Elemental Affinity (+Cha to spells dealing specific element dmg).

As Elemental Affinity and Radiant Soul read, you add the +Cha damage to their specific effects. So, as I'm reading it, I'm adding the +Cha to the Improved Divine Smite feature via Radiant Soul, then also adding it to the Elemental Weapon Spell via Elemental Affinity, which isn't directly adding it to the same thing, though it all ends up on the same weapon. If I had a weapon I used Elemental Weapon on, giving it lightning damage, and I had the Blue (lightning) dragon Draconic bloodline from sorcerer, would the +Cha be applied to both the Improved Divine Smite damage and the damage from Elemental Weapon?

Pertinent info:

By 11th level, you are so suffused with righteous might that all your melee weapon strikes carry divine power with them. Whenever you hit a creature with a melee weapon, the creature takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage.

A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.

Starting at 1st level, your link to the Positive Plane allows you to serve as a conduit for radiant energy. You have resistance to radiant damage, and when you cast a spell that deals radiant damage or fire damage, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your draconic ancestry, add your Charisma modifier to that damage.
Not everything works here (your Improved Divine Smite is not a spell, and it requires a lenient DM to allow a "radiant Draconic Ancestry).
One of the best nova combo you could make though is the following:
1st turn, activate your Sacred Weapon and cast a "radiant" or "fire" Smite spell (preferably fire if you stay in PHB, with fire Draconic Ancestry).
Next turn, use your Extra Attack and quicken a GreenFlameBlade.
You'll get 2*CHA bonus on first attack (because of smite spell) and on greenflameblade (fire damage), not including the other usual damage.

Otherwise, just cast Elemental Weapon and agree with your DM to bypass the overly stupid ruling.
(Considering all you would sacrifice in terms of spells and class features just to make this particular combo work, it's really a fair trade. For most other builds based on either Warlock or Sorcerer multiclassed with Bard to get hands on this, this is not OP by far.)

So, really, I will always allow Elemental Affinity and such apply on every instance of a spell in my games.

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-02, 09:11 AM

You are also at level 18, and getting near to the end of your adventuring career. At that level, how many HP does the usual monster have?

Adajone
2017-08-01, 09:04 PM
It may not work with divine smite however it WOULD work with the Monks Way of the Sun Soul. The Radiant Sun Bolt is considered a ranged spell attack and thus works with Radiant Soul!
The question I have is: does Radiant Soul work with Sun Shield? It isn't explicitly defined what the damage is defined as (spell or weapon), but the fact that it isn't defined leans me towards saying that it doesn't work.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-01, 10:41 PM
It may not work with divine smite however it WOULD work with the Monks Way of the Sun Soul. The Radiant Sun Bolt is considered a ranged spell attack and thus works with Radiant Soul!

Spell attack =/ Spell sadly. Its just a class feature. Doesn't matter what the damage is defined as, what matters is if it is a spell or not.