PDA

View Full Version : What have you tried to convert to tabletop?

MonkeySage
2016-02-01, 10:38 AM
Did you make up your own system to do it, or did you use an existing system?

I've considered:
Using the storytelling system to run the Buffyverse
Making up my own system to run Dragon Ball and Shin Megami Tensei respectively

Converting is kind of fun for me, its always an interesting challenge to see what I can get to work.

My latest idea was to use the Pathfinder RPG to run Star Ocean(they seem compatible to me).

tsj
2016-02-01, 11:09 AM
I've tried to use d20/d&d3.5 with some 40k 2nd and 3rd edition rules to try and replace the
40k system with a mix of d20 and 40k
for tabletop wargames

Current problems:

1) not all classes/monsters/etc have equal power level
2) difficult to estimate gold price of a unit based on CR
3) difficulties calculating CR vs levels, LA etc...
4) difficulties with the Vehicle Design Rules
5) difficulties with assigning gold price for VDR vehicle

The first could maybe benefit from taking tier system or other systems / stuff in to consideration

Ralcos
2016-02-01, 03:01 PM
I've been building a Mortal Kombat RPG system in my mind for quite a while now. Does that count?

AuraTwilight
2016-02-01, 03:24 PM
My signature's a pretty good indication.

Scarey Nerd
2016-02-02, 03:54 AM
I've tried converting the Jak and Daxter gameworld to RPG without much luck. Speaking of your attempt to use the storyteller system to run a Buffyverse game, though, a friend of mine used to have the Angel core rulebook which was a unisystem game, so if you did ever want to run Buffyverse then that book probably has everything you'd need. I think. Never actually watched them myself so I don't really know what differences there were.

Zaydos
2016-02-02, 07:32 PM
The Simic Guild (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402250-Simic-Biomancer-%28M-tG-based-PEACH%29-SHOULD-I-MAKE-MORE-LIKE-THIS), not ravnica, not M:tG, just Simic, to D&D.

Oh, and the FF Job system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?442986-The-Final-Fantasy-Job-System-in-a-Class-Freelancer) it did not end well.

MonkeySage
2016-02-02, 09:13 PM
I had no idea that the angel core rulebook was even a thing! D: Not surprised though, Joss Whedon is one of us after all. That is gonna save me so much trouble in the future!

I think someone on this very forum did a Final Fantasy d20 game a while back, it's pretty good! That's part of what inspired me to do Star Ocean d20.

JNAProductions
2016-02-02, 10:32 PM
Wakfu. Filler characters.

MoleMage
2016-02-04, 11:55 AM
Metroid, using d20 rules. Renewed effort briefly when 5e came out (I was going to do a mix of Legend's track system and 5e's proficiency bonus), but never finished classes.

Also currently working on and off on Paper Mario, using an almost straight conversion of the battle system but replacing Action Commands with a randomization via dice or similar. I actually have basic rules for 8 classes (Jump, Hammer, Throw, Magic, Shell, Blast, Sneak, Tongue) and a selection of races (Toad, Goomba/Paragoomba, Koopa/Koopa Bros/Parakoopa/Magikoopa, Bob-omb/Bob-ulk, Yoshi, Boo, Shy Guy/Fly Guy/Medi Guy/Cannon Guy/Helmet Guy). Just need to stop changing my randomization mechanic.

Ralcos
2016-02-04, 02:11 PM
Metroid, using d20 rules. Renewed effort briefly when 5e came out (I was going to do a mix of Legend's track system and 5e's proficiency bonus), but never finished classes.

Also currently working on and off on Paper Mario, using an almost straight conversion of the battle system but replacing Action Commands with a randomization via dice or similar. I actually have basic rules for 8 classes (Jump, Hammer, Throw, Magic, Shell, Blast, Sneak, Tongue) and a selection of races (Toad, Goomba/Paragoomba, Koopa/Koopa Bros/Parakoopa/Magikoopa, Bob-omb/Bob-ulk, Yoshi, Boo, Shy Guy/Fly Guy/Medi Guy/Cannon Guy/Helmet Guy). Just need to stop changing my randomization mechanic.

THAT PAPER MARIO GAME SOUNDS LIKE IT'D BE AMAZING! :eek::biggrin:

Shy Guy who uses magical hammers a la Shao Kahn, here I come.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/4/41/Shao_khan_laugh.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130910144737

MoleMage
2016-02-04, 04:10 PM
If I ever get it to a permanent functional version I'll post it here. Right now I'm using a set of "coins" with different marks on them for the action command but it unnecessarily bulky. Looking at using icon dice instead so that there can be a simple D6 conversion chart. Problem is that I need a way to include Stylish commands in addition to successful commands, and I want a way to modify the "pool" as it were (right now, certain traits let you add an extra coin with a beneficial symbol, so do those add an extra die that's beneficial?).

However, ignoring how action commands actually work, here are rules for the basic hammer and basic shell class attacks for examples:

Hammer [Primary: POW] (Equip: Hammer)
Base HP: +2, Base FP: +0
Level: HP +1, FP +1, BP +1
Basic Attack:
Hammer Swing [Weapon, Melee, Side, Low Attack, First Target]
Deals damage equal to the Hammer’s Power.
Action Command [+POW, -Coin]: Deals damage equal to double the Hammer’s Power instead.

Field Action:
Block Breaker.
You can use your hammer to break blocks. Yellow Blocks require a hammer of power 1, Brick Blocks a hammer of power 2, and Stone Blocks a hammer of power 3. You must be horizontally adjacent to the block in order to break it.

Shell [Primary: POW] (Equip: Shell)
Base HP: +1, Base FP: +0
Level: HP +1, FP +1, BP +1
Basic Attack:
Shell Shot [Self, Melee, Side, Low Attack, First Target]
Deals damage equal to the Shell’s Power. This attack ignores spikes.
Action Command [+POW, -Leaf]: Deals +1 damage. Increase user’s defense by 1 until start of next Player Phase.

Field Action:
Shell Toss.
You can hurl yourself like a boomerang to hit far away switches. You can activate switches or open loot boxes at a horizontal range of 3 + Power. You can use this ability even across gaps or through half space openings too small to admit you normally. You always return to your starting position when finished.

Debihuman
2016-02-04, 06:16 PM
I just convert everything to 3.5 It's one of my favorite systems and the one I'm most comfortable with . It has just as much versatility as GURPS. I like GURPS but more for their informational books rather than for the system.

Debby

nikkoli
2016-02-04, 07:01 PM
I am with Debihuman on this, 3.5 is really easy to modify. My friends and I all love the Skyrim leveling scale and pathfinder/3.5 for a base. Basically it's a classless system and upon leveling everyone gets a set number of points and advancing a class feature (like trap finding or an eldritch blast) would cost Y amount or buying a feat would cost Q amount. On top of that everything is reduced to skills so to learn spells you put skills into each school to advance it which makes you better at that, or you could just use lots of skills to get a smaller bonus to learning magic in general. We crunched out some of the thum stuff but no one really got hooked on it so we didnt do much more than the basic fus tree. We did the same thing with weapons and armor, so every like 4 skills in a weapon groupwas a bonus to hit and I think every 6 was a bonus damage. I should see if my pal would like to post all this to the boards with me at some point.

Milo v3
2016-02-05, 12:29 AM
I tried to convert Transformers into an RPG, but then I discovered Mutants and Masterminds.

RatElemental
2016-02-06, 03:24 AM
I've tried to convert Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

I still haven't made much headway on that.

nikkoli
2016-02-06, 08:36 PM
In light of this thread and my love of path of exile I have started an attempt to convert it to pathfinder. But I am like 1/8 of the way done and then I have to try it out to see if it is even reasonable balance wise.

thedanster7000
2016-02-09, 06:40 PM
I just convert everything to 3.5 It's one of my favorite systems and the one I'm most comfortable with . It has just as much versatility as GURPS. I like GURPS but more for their informational books rather than for the system.

Debby

I'm going to make a point about the GURPS thing. Pathfinder doesn't have as much versatility at all. GURPS is literally made to be versatile, whilst Pathfinder is made to be specific. I like both, and not being versatile isn't necessarily a bad thing, but GURPS is far more versatile.

Edit: Meant 3.x, not Pathfinder specifically.

MAL1CE
2016-02-09, 06:48 PM
I am currently working on an MTG system for 5e (Assuming you haven't seen the 2 billion posts about it recently.) So far so good. It's a long way from done, but the outcome thus far pleases me.

brentcourtney
2016-02-09, 07:31 PM
Currently fleshing out and reskinning a 3.5 conversion of Dune. Adapting the faction system from Stars Without Number to add depth to the game and working out a system to convert roleplaying to XP. Trying to figure out how to do the last part still. Either going to try to determine skill checks=attacks in an encounter and constantly give out little bits of XP, checks as attacks and only give XP at the end of "encounters", or work out a way for you to defeat someone via skill checks and give XP as appropriate for the envounter. Probably going with a mix of the first and last, though.

lightningcat
2016-02-09, 09:46 PM
I tried to convert Transformers into an RPG, but then I discovered Mutants and Masterminds.

I have converted Transformers to a rpg, see my signature, although that has grown beyond its roots some.
Plus worked Ravnica into Exalted. Lots of fun, but the Storyteller could have done more with the politics.
Worked Zoids into a d&d setting, along with power armor and many other things. My personal setting is kinda weird.
I have also converted the skrills from Earth: Final Conflict into 75% of the games I've run, and yet to ever use one...

I'm also of the belief that GURPS is the best collection of reference material that a gamer can get, even more so than Wikipedia.

Otaku
2016-02-12, 12:32 PM
I'm going to make a point about the GURPS thing. Pathfinder doesn't have as much versatility at all. GURPS is literally made to be versatile, whilst Pathfinder is made to be specific. I like both, and not being versatile isn't necessarily a bad thing, but GURPS is far more versatile.

Edit: Meant 3.x, not Pathfinder specifically.

Yet at the same time, GURPS is just fine with people buying its supplements and converting them to the system of their choice. GURPS is like a laid back version of the Borg from Star Trek:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated... or we'll just adapt to you. Either is 'cool'."

;)

sterling vermin
2016-02-14, 02:11 PM
I really, really, really want to convert the Final Fantasy class system into D&D. At one point many years ago I had a pretty ambitious 30 pages or so of work done on an FF rpg but I lost interest and then switched computers and didn't have the files.

Bohandas
2016-02-14, 06:17 PM
Back when Dave the Barbarian was still on TV I came up wih stats for Faffy the dragon.

Later on I'll try and see if I can find them)

Beelzebub1111
2016-02-15, 08:53 AM
Would converting the concept of a Magical Girl to tabletop count? (See the Sig)

I've also attempted to convert The Legacy of Kain series into 3.5 to varrying degrees of success.

Eldan
2016-02-15, 10:14 AM
A lot of monsters from various stories (A lot of Miéville, I love his monsters). Hm. (Inspired by) Darkest Dungeon as an E6 campaign with rotating players on a forum (didn't work out). Fallen London in FATE. Probably more, if I think about it more.

Zaydos
2016-02-15, 02:09 PM
Oh yeah I also made D&D stats for a variety of Pokemon and Slivers. That probably counts.

Bohandas
2016-02-15, 09:44 PM
A lot of monsters from various stories (A lot of Miéville, I love his monsters). Hm. (Inspired by) Darkest Dungeon as an E6 campaign with rotating players on a forum (didn't work out). Fallen London in FATE. Probably more, if I think about it more.

I think there's even official stats for some of his monsters