PDA

View Full Version : Negating Crits without magic?

heavyfuel
2016-02-01, 01:00 PM
Can it be done? No Su, Sp, Spells or Magic Items.

Also, no innate resistances, such as from being Undead.

Necroticplague
2016-02-01, 01:03 PM
Yes, it can.

Vaz
2016-02-01, 01:09 PM
The Necropolitan Template isn't 'magical' in the rules terms. At the cost of a Level you become Undead, basically.

Psyren
Have high AC and they won't confirm

heavyfuel
Yes, it can.

But... How?

Also, see my edit, because I forgot about it.

Deadline
2016-02-01, 01:10 PM

The one that immediately springs to mind is to be of a type that negates crits. So Undead, Construct, Plant, and ... Ooze?

Psyren
2016-02-01, 01:11 PM
The one that immediately springs to mind is to be of a type that negates crits. So Undead, Construct, Plant, and ... Ooze?

Also Elemental

Deadline
2016-02-01, 01:15 PM
Also Elemental

Right, knew I was forgetting one. :smallbiggrin:

The methods I know for acquiring those while still meeting the OP's restrictions would be:

Undead: Template or Necropolitan
Construct: Prestige Class capstone
Plant: Template or Prestige Class capstone
Elemental: Prestige Class capstone (possibly template?)
Ooze: No idea. Does the Sentry Ooze template have an LA?

Edit - Just saw the OP's edit. Hmm, are there any mundane pieces of gear in either Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, or Arms & Equipment Guide that do this? Any feats?

I can think of ways to mundanely negate sneak attacks, but not crits.

Necroticplague
2016-02-01, 01:20 PM
But... How?
1. Define "innate resistance". Warforged may or may not count (they don't have the construct immunity, but the have fortification).
2.Undead Skin graft.
3.Elemental Flesh graft.

Red Fel
2016-02-01, 01:24 PM

So, no spells, no magic items, no abilities other than (Ex), and nothing from having a type/subtype/racial ability.

Kind of narrows us to class abilities, doesn't it?

Well, there's the Warforged Juggernaut PrC, which at second level makes you no longer subject to nonlethal damage or crits. There's the Green Star Adept, which (before it reaches capstone and becomes a Construct, violating your second clause) gains increasing levels of Fortification, up to 75% at GSA 9. There's the Dread Necromancer class, which gets Fortification of 25% and later 50%, although again capstone changes type.

Basically, almost everything that gives Fortification as a class ability is built into a class that's designed to turn a character into an Undead, Construct, or Undead-like or Construct-like character, thus violating your second clause.

One notable exception: A Warshaper, at level 1, is immune to stunning and crits, bam.

But other than that, it seems you've designed a prompt intended to exclude just about everything.

Vaz
2016-02-01, 01:27 PM
Also, why?

Necroticplague
2016-02-01, 01:34 PM
One notable exception: A Warshaper, at level 1, is immune to stunning and crits, bam.

But other than that, it seems you've designed a prompt intended to exclude just about everything.

Warshaper requires you to be in a form other than your own. I don't think there's and non-SU/SLA/Spell-based way to do that.

Zaq
2016-02-01, 01:46 PM

It's against the spirit of the question, but Ectoplasmic Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicForm.htm) isn't any of the banned categories you mentioned. Most people would call it magic, sure, but it's not "Su, Sp, Spells, or Magic Items."

The Adamant Pauldrons soulmeld gives resistance to crits (25% shaped, 50% bound), and again, it's not technically in a category you banned.

Zombimode
2016-02-01, 01:50 PM
Sapphire Hierarch (MoI) gains fortification (up to 50%) as (Ex) class feature. The PRC does not turn you into undead or construct (just a law-abiding citizen).

heavyfuel
2016-02-01, 02:50 PM
Sapphire Hierarch (MoI) gains fortification (up to 50%) as (Ex) class feature. The PRC does not turn you into undead or construct (just a law-abiding citizen).

Only problem with these classes is that they require non-mundane abilities to qualify for them, so getting into them without such abilities would be problematic to say the least.

Mehangel
2016-02-01, 03:05 PM
If pathfinder is allowed, there are feats such as Fortified Armor Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fortified-armor-training-combat) that allow you to negate critical hits.

Red Fel
2016-02-01, 03:32 PM
Only problem with these classes is that they require non-mundane abilities to qualify for them, so getting into them without such abilities would be problematic to say the least.

Hence my point.

It verges on saying, "Okay, I want you to tell me how to make this character, without using races, classes, spells, abilities, or feats." The OP rules almost everything out.

Necroticplague
2016-02-01, 03:35 PM
Are grafts out too, for similar reasons? They aren't magical items, but they require casting to be able to craft.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-01, 03:36 PM
Find a way to be a plant. Or an ooze.

All the slime/ooze themed classes seem to help out with crits.

heavyfuel
2016-02-01, 05:51 PM
If pathfinder is allowed, there are feats such as Fortified Armor Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fortified-armor-training-combat) that allow you to negate critical hits.

That's a neat feat! If the DM allows me to backport it to 3.5 it'll be great! Thanks

Hence my point.

It verges on saying, "Okay, I want you to tell me how to make this character, without using races, classes, spells, abilities, or feats." The OP rules almost everything out.

Yup :smallfrown: Basically just feats and class special abilities that don't rely on magic. I though there was no way to do it, but decided to ask first.

ATHATH
2016-02-01, 09:48 PM
That's a neat feat! If the DM allows me to backport it to 3.5 it'll be great! Thanks

Yup :smallfrown: Basically just feats and class special abilities that don't rely on magic. I though there was no way to do it, but decided to ask first.
Are you in a no-magic campaign, by any chance?

Jack_Simth
2016-02-01, 10:12 PM
Well, it's not immunity to crits, but Cloak Dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#cloakDance) gives you portable concealment, which negates sneak attack.

I suppose one way to negate a hit would be to negate the attack. Tome of Battle might come in handy - Counter Charge, Wall of Blades, Baffling Defence, Manticore Parry, Scorpion Parry, Shield Counter, Fool's Strike, , and probably others can negate attacks. There's others that prevent a target from making the attack in the first place, such as Disrupting Blow, Dazing Strike, Stalker in the Night, Feral Death Blow, Warmaster's Charge, and probably others.

Oh, there we go: The Strength of Stone stance, Stone Dragon 8: Straight-up grants critical hit immunity. You do have to stay in place, though.

But yes, it can be done. It's just not overly common (A Stone Dragon 8 stance pretty much means 15 levels in a ToB class).

Telonius
2016-02-01, 11:52 PM
Tomb-Born Fortitude from Libris Mortis (requires Tomb-Tainted Soul and a non-good alignment) gives you a 25% chance to negate critical hits, without actually giving you the Undead type.

manyslayer
2016-02-02, 01:05 PM
5th level Goliath barbarians can get 25% fortification instead of improved uncanny dodge.

Don't need to be a goliath if take 3 levels of Stoneblessed (assuming the DM interprets that it fulfills the racial requirement of prestige classes to also count for alternate class features).

Both of these from Races of Stone.

illyahr
2016-02-02, 02:51 PM
There are other ways of negating criticals. Let's not forget that one of the Luck feats lets you negate criticals that hit you by expending a Luck reroll and gives you +1 luck reroll.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-02, 03:08 PM
If we're talking about luck as a work around for crits, you can always take leadership and get a cohort with broken one's sacrifice feat and good karma feat.

You will never be critted again!

Foote01
2016-02-03, 09:20 AM
There is a feat from a Dragon magazine called Avoid Critical Hit where you make an opposed Tumble roll to cancel a critical. It is in Dragon #292 on page 114. It is 3.5/d20 based but from another RPG game called Evil Islands or something.

Âmesang
2016-02-03, 09:53 AM
My first thought was to sunder your enemies weapons… and it makes me wonder if you can sunder natural weapons. :smalltongue: Ouch.

Psyren
2016-02-03, 09:59 AM
My first thought was to sunder your enemies weapons… and it makes me wonder if you can sunder natural weapons. :smalltongue: Ouch.

No in Pathfinder as Sunder specifies items. Not sure about 3.5.

Telonius
2016-02-03, 12:23 PM
Sunder
You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding.

So the target has to be holding the weapon, presumably in their hands. ("Wielding" was not specified, just holding). So it looks like "dis-arming" the Monk is not an option.