PDA

View Full Version : Good Foreshadowing

David Demola
2007-06-15, 01:17 PM
I was looking over the old comics when I found this (last panel):

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html

Ohhh Miko, you don't know how right you were.

Alysar
2007-06-15, 01:44 PM
Umm... which panel?

Zherog
2007-06-15, 01:46 PM
Can you remove the code block, so that it:

a) creates an actual link
b) doesn't create a horizontal scroll bar

?

Ganurath
2007-06-15, 01:48 PM
The final panel:

:miko: Truly, this journey shall be the greatest challenge to my alignment yet.

factotum
2007-06-15, 05:11 PM
The final panel:

:miko: Truly, this journey shall be the greatest challenge to my alignment yet.

What's foreshadowing about that? The greatest challenge to Miko's alignment came from an entirely different journey--the one where she took Durkon's message to the dwarven lands and encountered Xykon on the way back.

InfernusTribble
2007-06-15, 05:15 PM
Yeah,
but she almost went psycho when trying to kill Belkar in the throneroom and would have fallen bigtime, probably a lot more than she did end up doing if V hadn't stopped her from murdering him (Murdering Belkar as a crime? Hmmm, well it would have been)

factotum
2007-06-16, 02:49 AM
Yeah,
but she almost went psycho when trying to kill Belkar in the throneroom and would have fallen bigtime, probably a lot more than she did end up doing if V hadn't stopped her from murdering him (Murdering Belkar as a crime? Hmmm, well it would have been)

Well, I'd argue that those events still weren't part of "this journey" because they were already back at Azure City. If that had happened at the inn (before it blew up, obviously :smallsmile: ) then I'd concede the point.

Kreistor
2007-06-16, 09:01 AM
Belkar's opinion aside, it's not clear that Miko would have fallen for killing him at that time and place. Belkar was evil and she had hunted him down. Paladin's don't fall from killing in anger, especially righteous fury.

That said, the journey was a challenge to her alignment and views, but it did not change them in the slightest. The revelation of Shojo's fraud was not a part of that journey: it came well after. So, no, I don't think this was a case of foreshadowing.

EyethatBinds
2007-06-16, 07:36 PM
I too disagree that killing Belkar is an evil act. He murdered a guard and used his blood to draw a sign telling Miko where he would be, I would say her anger would have been more than justified in that case. Killing evil creatures is not an evil act particularly when they show no signs of remorse and will kill again if given the chance.
So basically Belkar was close to getting killed by his own foolishness again and naturally it must be Miko's fault for getting upset. but I guess death will resolve the matter to everyone's satisfaction then. Enjoy your next birthday cake Belkar.

Gundato
2007-06-16, 08:56 PM
Agreed, killing Belkar is, if anything, a good act. But her motives would potentially make it a chaotic one. One, it is ignoring due process (shame). Two, she wasn't upholding the law, she was (understandably) venting her agression against Belkar. He made it personal, and was effectively helpless. Paladins may get a stick up their butt and a license to kill anything that fails the "Detect Evil" test, but she had a helpless criminal (who had not been sentenced) in a location where a crapload of other Paladins can be quickly summoned to restrain him.

Remember, you don't have to be evil to get un-paladinized.

EdgarVerona
2007-06-17, 04:09 AM
Well, perhaps not "this journey" as in their particular trip... but that trip *did* lead to a series of events that ended up with her loss of Paladinhood, death of her master, loss of the city/gate and her own death. So in a way, the journey did bring about that challenge. If she had never gone on it, none of those events would have happened. (well, at least not the alignment change/death of her leige part... I suppose Xykon and Redcloak would've invaded the city regardless so the rest of it would've happened).