PDA

View Full Version : Aarakocra Subraces

RickAllison
2016-02-01, 04:53 PM
Okay, this came up in our last D&D session: penguins. None in the Monster Manual, but it got me thinking, could there be other subspecies of Aarakocra that were, say, stranded in other elemental planes during the war against the gargoyles? I'm thinking ostriches for Earth, penguins or albatrosses for Water, phoenix or something for Fire, etc. What do you all think, is it worth coming up with sub-race stats for them? I would love some insight from more experienced minds.

eastmabl
2016-02-01, 05:11 PM
I like the idea!

Since phoenixes are already in the MM, I would shy away from using them specifically. Something like a phoenixborn instead.

(Note: apparently, there aren't phoenixes in the PHB. Nevertheless, given the majestic nature of phoenixes, I'd suggest downgrading them to a humanoid bird-creature descended from phoenixes).

Some suggestions for aarokocra cousins:

- Ostriches should have increased base speed.
- Albatrosses should have limited use of Diviner's portent ability ("like an albatross around your neck.").
- Phoenixborn should automatically stabilize at 0 hp once per long rest. As ribbon, you can have the whole flame/rebirth deal.

When not at work, I'll think this more.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-04, 06:57 PM
Obviously, ostriches should have an ability to turn invisible on sandy surface when threatened. Though it would cause damage if they try to use it on stone...

BootStrapTommy
2016-02-04, 08:27 PM
I would totally play a penguin.

cobaltstarfire
2016-02-04, 08:38 PM
I've got a "Kiwi" aarakocra, that I play as not being able to fly very well in the mortal plains. I have her "dash" along the ground using her flight speed, and "jump" really high on occasion, but I've only had her really fly once in the mortal plain, and played her as barely having managed it, having crashed the same turn she initiated "flight" and having not moved her full fly speed.

She can still fly in the elemental plain of air though.

I've wanted to work out some rules to just replace her flight speed and allow her to dash, jump, and sometimes attain limited flight or gliding within reason but it seems too hairy to really hash out concrete rules. The DM in the game I'm playing her in seems pretty happy to just let me police how I use her flight speed myself.