PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying [3.5] Character Advice - (was Looking for Deity, now need fluff help)

Thurbane
2016-02-01, 09:18 PM
Need some help for character gen tonight.

Starting as a 1st level party.

Only two players, so we'll be running 2 PCs each. Stipulation is that one PC must be core only*, while the other is pretty much "anything official 3.X goes".

Party so far is looking like:
- Dwarf Barbarian 1 (core-only*)
- Goblin Scout 1 (I know, I know...why Goblin? Don't ask).
- Binder 1 (Human, Hellbred or Kiloren, TBC) (me)
- Human Cleric 1 (core-only*) (me)

...need advice on the Cleric. I specifically want to play a Cleric who has the Magic domain, but I'm having trouble finding a deity that offers a decent 2nd domain. I can chose non PHB deities, but I'm restricted to PHB domains.

The Deity needs to be either non-setting specific, or Greyhawk specific. Looking through the Living Greyhawk list, there are a couple of options, but most involve being non-human, and I really had my heart set on a human. There is one that offers Magic & Travel, but as a core-only character, couldn't do anything like Travel Domain feat etc. I want the Cleric to fill a pseudo-arcanist/blaster role, as well as normal Cleric stuff.

Any suggestions for A Deity:
- suitable for a Human
- Greyhawk specific, or non-campaign specific
- Magic domain a must
- only PHB domains allowed (this does not extend to to expanded SRD domains that aren't in the PHB)

*Core-only in this case means PHB races and classes only. No expanded material from SRD/UA included.

Cheers - T

Aleolus
2016-02-01, 09:42 PM
What alignments are you considering? Because the first one to come to mind would be Boccob.

You said non-core deities are allowed, so you could go with Odin, since he has Magic as a domain, and you could tack on War for your second one to indicate the blasting side of things

Darrin
2016-02-01, 10:46 PM
Worship the Asgardian Pantheon as a whole (Deities & Demigods p. 167). Then pick two domains. Either War or Travel would be good.

Tem-Et Nu (Sandstorm) might work. Magic, War, Travel, and Knowledge. If sacred combat with hippos is not your cup of tea, the Egyptian Pantheon is sorta generic-ish: Thoth has Knowledge and Magic, Isis has Magic and Water. Her Babylonian incarnation, Ishtar, has Magic, Strength, and War.

Dragon deities can also be considered generic to any campaign world. Io has a very good selection of domains: Magic, Knowledge, Strength, and Travel. Not picky about alignment, either.

Thurbane
2016-02-01, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys.

Io is looking like a decent option.

I'm a bit meh on the Knowledge domain, which is why I wasn't that keen on Boccob.

Probably sticking to a Good or Neutral alignment - there's no specific restrictions, but not that keen on a Evil character at the moment.

Thurbane
2016-02-02, 09:39 PM
I ended up going with Lirr, and taking the Magic and Travel domains.

Now just need to get some other fluff and backstory sorted.

We've decided my cleric and the Hellbred are brothers (loosely inspired by Sam and Dean from Supernatural) - but the fluff for Hellbred suggests they only remember small bits from their former life.

I need a way to incorporate how my Cleric who worships a god primarily concerned with Art, found his returned brother. The DM suggested some divine intervention from Lirr, but I'm not having a hard time reconciling or justifying this...

I used to be quite good at backstory and fluff in my 1E/2E days, but I think (sadly) 3.X has made me more focused on crunch, and my ability to come up with fluff has atrophied. :smallannoyed:

nedz
2016-02-02, 11:24 PM
Binders draw cartouches, which are a form of art. Maybe the Binder kept drawing this image, which wasn't for a pact, but had some connection to his youth. (No, He's not Dorian Gray). He approached the temple of Lirr about this image to see if they knew anything about it and, eventually, his brother came across the inquiry.

Thurbane
2016-02-03, 09:49 PM
Thanks nedz, I might just use that!