PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kami Summoner [Summoner Archetype]

Milo v3
2016-02-02, 01:35 AM
Warded Summoner - Summoner Archetype
Instead of calling an extraplanar eidolon to your presence, warded summoners are individuals who can strangely meld with a kami and act as that kami's ward.
Eidolon: A warded summoner need not make a ritual to summon his eidolon, instead the eidolon can enter or leave the body of it's summoner. This functions the same as Merge with Ward (see kami subtype), except that while merged the eidolon does not heal naturally. The only exception to this is if the eidolon was slain, in which case it reforms within the summoner the following day with half its normal hit points. This ability otherwise functions as normal.
Summon Nature's Ally I (Sp): Starting at 1st level, a warded summoner can cast summon nature's ally I as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. Drawing upon this ability requires an intimate connection with nature. As a result, he can only use this ability when his eidolon is merged with him. He can cast this spell as a standard action and the creatures remain for 1 minute per level (instead of 1 round per level). At 3rd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, the power of this ability increases by one spell level, allowing him to summon more powerful creatures (to a maximum of summon nature's ally IX at 17th level). At 19th level, this ability can be used as gate or summon nature's ally IX. If used as gate, the warded summoner must pay any required material components. A warded summoner cannot have more than one summon nature's ally or gate spell active in this way at one time. If this ability is used again, any existing summon nature's ally or gate immediately ends. These summon spells are considered to be part of his spell list for the purposes of spell trigger and spell completion items. In addition, he can expend uses of this ability to fulfil the construction requirements of any magic item he creates, so long as he can use this ability to cast the required spell. This replaces Summon Monster I.

Unchained Eidolon Subtypes (Not necessary for APG Summoners)
Kami
Alignment: Any.
Base Form: Biped (limbs [arms], limbs [legs], slam).
Special: To select this eidolon subtype, the summoner must have the warded summoner archetype.

Base Evolutions:

At 1st level, kami eidolons gain the resistance (electricity) and resistance (fire) evolutions. They also gain a +4 bonus on saving throws against polymorph effects.
At 4th level, kami eidolons gains the resistance (acid) evolution. They also gain immunity to bleeding effects.
At 8th level, kami eidolons gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects and add 1 point to their evolution pools.
At 12th level, kami eidolons gain immunity to petrification and polymorph effects. They also telepathy to 100 ft.
At 16th level, kami eidolons gains a +8 bonus on saving through against mind-affecting effects and add 1 point to their evolution pools.
At 20th level, kami eidolons gains fast healing 5.

TheYell
2016-02-02, 05:09 AM
Interesting. Any other druidic magic benefits?

Does merging with the kami give the summoner those resistances? i dont think that was spelled out.

i would like a kami to have spell resistance too please!

keep on it we can use more eastern flavor

Milo v3
2016-02-02, 05:18 AM
Interesting. Any other druidic magic benefits?
None come to mind.

Does merging with the kami give the summoner those resistances? i dont think that was spelled out.
Nah, it functions like Merge with Ward, so the ward doesn't gain anything beyond being able to give its senses to the kami.

i would like a kami to have spell resistance too please!
Is that an integral part of kami? It wasn't part of the subtype.

keep on it we can use more eastern flavor
Oni stuff is next on my list, and maybe an occultist archetype that uses tsukogami.

TheYell
2016-02-02, 12:44 PM
You caught me out on my knowledge of Bestiary 3.

Ethereal Gears
2016-02-03, 06:31 AM
This looks cool and the kami subtype looks balanced while also hewing close to the unique traits of kami. I love stuff to do with kami and oni, especially the former. One thing to add to the kami-flavor would be to create a feat exclusive to this archetype that adds all size categories of animated objects/plants (as per animate objects and animate plants) to your list of options when using your SNA SLA. The thing that's always fascinated me about kami is that they're sometimes sort of tied to civilization and artificial objects as well as to nature, and so I feel like that could be reflected via such a feat. Another idea could be simply an evo that lets the kami eidolon enter an object and animate it, essentially functioning like a polymorph effect or as greater possession.

Cheers,
- Gears

Milo v3
2016-02-03, 06:36 AM
This looks cool and the kami subtype looks balanced while also hewing close to the unique traits of kami. I love stuff to do with kami and oni, especially the former. One thing to add to the kami-flavor would be to create a feat exclusive to this archetype that adds all size categories of animated objects/plants (as per animate objects and animate plants) to your list of options when using your SNA SLA. The thing that's always fascinated me about kami is that they're sometimes sort of tied to civilization and artificial objects as well as to nature, and so I feel like that could be reflected via such a feat.

Cheers,
- Gears
I could do that, though would probably make it Tsukogami, which is how pathfinder handles kami-animated objects. Also, I found an issue with oni summoners.... it is so hard to think of evolutions for them. I mean god, they just have regeneration and low-light vision as a shared thing...

Ethereal Gears
2016-02-03, 12:21 PM
Oh right! I had forgotten about those guys. Yes, tsukumogami would definitely be the way to go, although the template is somewhat powerful. Still, SNA is generally less powerful than SM, and if you would add it as an option via a feat, I daresay it's balanced. A Colossal Tsukumogami would be CR 13, incidentally which is smack dab in the ballpark of SNA IX, so that might actually work out perfectly. In that case it should be completely possible to space out the other size categories across SNA I-VIII.

On the oni issue, I know. I've never found oni anywhere near as compelling or imaginative as kami. Frankly, I think there are way too many kinds of fiends and they're all sorta...samey. But oni are especially sparse when it comes the subtype's traits, which is obviously an issue when making a UC eidolon subtype. :/