PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next How strong/weak are these magic items? [PEACH]

Groggen
2016-02-02, 03:42 AM
Hi. My players are about to start a 4-5 level trek, starting at level 9, through a jungle of sorts. I want to give them some nice items, since we usually do campaigns that end before these levels. I am, however, uncertain of whether the following items are too much or not enough. I realize that the views on power level will vary from DM to DM and setting/campaign to setting/campaign. We usually play "normal" or slightly higher magic level if that's any help :)

Tl, dr: How would you rate these items?

Armor of the Fallen Leaves
A riot of red, yellow, and orange leaves has been sewn together into a rigid suit of armor.

Once per long rest you can cause the leaves of this +1 armor (I'm leaving out which type of armor for now, so I'll be able to adapt it to the PC that either finds it or has gotten less than the others) to turn brown and scatter on the breeze. During this process, you merge with the fallen leaves and disappear. Though the leaves appear to flutter near the ground, they are actually under your disembodied control. While in this state, you can move and interact with your environment as if you were under the effect of a gaseous form spell. This effect lasts for up to 30 minutes or until you use a standard action to end it.
I'm also considering adding an ability to this, maybe something like the Sword (Leaf) Burst cantrip x times per day.

Big Game Hunter's Trophy
A serrated dagger made from teeth and bone from a strange beast.
Finesse, light, 1d6 damage.

Savage
Against a target that is wearing no armor, the dagger deals an extra die of damage.

Hampering strike
Once per round, when you hit a target, you can target a tendon or vulnerable muscle to reduce target's speed to half until the end of it's next turn

Nature's Guidance
A small, black pouch that contains smooth pieces of bone engraved with runes.
Once per long rest, you can cast each of the following spells: pass without trace, plant growth, or tree stride as an action.
If this ability is activated while unattuned, the spell is decided randomly.

Quicksilver Boots
Quicksilver boots give you the ability to flash across the battlefield with a moment’s impulse.
When you activate these boots as a bonus action, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move until the end of your next turn. You provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for movement, though the rapidity of your travel makes your form blurry, providing disadvantage against such attacks.
This ability functions two times per long rest. (We do not have a monk in the party by the way, so there'll be no hard feelings for stepping on anyone's toes with this.)

Any and all musings/feedback/critique/advice will be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

Grynning
2016-02-08, 11:35 AM
Armor of the Fallen Leaves
A riot of red, yellow, and orange leaves has been sewn together into a rigid suit of armor.

Once per long rest you can cause the leaves of this +1 armor (I'm leaving out which type of armor for now, so I'll be able to adapt it to the PC that either finds it or has gotten less than the others) to turn brown and scatter on the breeze. During this process, you merge with the fallen leaves and disappear. Though the leaves appear to flutter near the ground, they are actually under your disembodied control. While in this state, you can move and interact with your environment as if you were under the effect of a gaseous form spell. This effect lasts for up to 30 minutes or until you use a standard action to end it.
I'm also considering adding an ability to this, maybe something like the Sword (Leaf) Burst cantrip x times per day.

I like this one. I don't think you need to add anything else to it, gaseous form once per day is pretty cool, and the flavor is nice. Make sure that you add the clarifying "once you use this ability, you can't use it again until the next dawn."

Big Game Hunter's Trophy
A serrated dagger made from teeth and bone from a strange beast.
Finesse, light, 1d6 damage.
Savage
Against a target that is wearing no armor, the dagger deals an extra die of damage.
Hampering strike
Once per round, when you hit a target, you can target a tendon or vulnerable muscle to reduce target's speed to half until the end of it's next turn

I think hampering strike is a bit too strong. I would make it comparable to the ray of frost cantrip and have it reduce the target's speed by 10 feet for one round.

Nature's Guidance
A small, black pouch that contains smooth pieces of bone engraved with runes.
Once per long rest, you can cast each of the following spells: pass without trace, plant growth, or tree stride as an action.
If this ability is activated while unattuned, the spell is decided randomly.

Not bad. Magic items don't typically refresh on rest, but at dawn, but that's up to you as DM, it doesn't make a huge difference.

Quicksilver Boots
Quicksilver boots give you the ability to flash across the battlefield with a moment’s impulse.
When you activate these boots as a bonus action, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move until the end of your next turn. You provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for movement, though the rapidity of your travel makes your form blurry, providing disadvantage against such attacks.
This ability functions two times per long rest. (We do not have a monk in the party by the way, so there'll be no hard feelings for stepping on anyone's toes with this.)

These are neat, you could also have them add like +5 to your movement as a passive all the time I think.

Groggen
2016-02-09, 01:19 PM
First of all, thanks for the input :smallsmile:

Yeah, +5 feet movement on the boots fits nicely. That I will do.

Hampering Strike I've now changed it to "Until the end of your next turn, the target may not use any special ability that includes, modifies or requires movement, like dash, pounce or charge." Affects fewer creatures, but has a bigger effect when it does.

In regards to the "refreshes at long rest" instead of dawn, it's because I will stretch out a "typical" encounter day (6-8 encounters and all that) over several days, so a refresh at dawn would increase the power too much I think.

cooldes
2016-02-10, 07:43 AM
First of all, thanks for the input :smallsmile:

Yeah, +5 feet movement on the boots fits nicely. That I will do.

Hampering Strike I've now changed it to "Until the end of your next turn, the target may not use any special ability that includes, modifies or requires movement, like dash, pounce or charge." Affects fewer creatures, but has a bigger effect when it does.

In regards to the "refreshes at long rest" instead of dawn, it's because I will stretch out a "typical" encounter day (6-8 encounters and all that) over several days, so a refresh at dawn would increase the power too much I think.

yeah that hampering strike effect is still pretty broken imo.

The armor is well balanced currently i think. no extra effects needed. though i do advise studded leather (personal opinion) as it being the best light armor fits well as i see this being very rouguish or rangeresque

The extra spells thin is pretty powerful. i would set the restriction of being able to cast at least one spell as a prerequisite.

The boots are very powerful tbh because the actually have a large effect on combat. being able to give disadvantage against all Opportunity attacks while also gaining a climb speed equal to movement, and being able to walk on water basically makes any situation easily escapable. i suggest being wary of this one. making "run away" such an easy and present option could have very negative effects.
But with that, i'd personally say to not add the +5 passive speed bonus, as the boots are already pretty "must have" without it.