PDA

View Full Version : DM Help If you were a player in a campaign starting in the region of Sword Coast ...

Pinjata
2016-02-02, 10:09 AM
... where would you like to start your journey? If you could pick a place?

Lorsa
2016-02-02, 10:43 AM

Trollbark forest!

EDIT: It's possible that my Forgotten Realms map is old and not updated to the latest edition...

CharonsHelper
2016-02-02, 12:57 PM
I would start in Candlekeep where my adopted father would talk to me and tell me that we had to leave...

AMFV
2016-02-02, 01:00 PM

Luskan, at least in the editions I've played. It tends to be not a site that's the focus of many campaigns, more of a short stopover, and exploring that hive of scum and villainy would be pretty fun.

M Placeholder
2016-02-02, 01:41 PM
On the Amnian border, trying to figure out how to disguise the spellcasting of the Wizard in the party.

Khaiel
2016-02-02, 01:47 PM
I would start in Candlekeep where my adopted father would talk to me and tell me that we had to leave...

Without telling me why, or the fact that there's a red dragon that wants him dead, or the fact that he is a Harper, or that some of his colleagues want me dead...

For being a sage, Gorion acted quite stupid...

But I'd say Amn. Fun place to be.

M Placeholder
2016-02-02, 02:04 PM
Does Amn count as in the region of the Sword Coast? It's lumped in with Tethyr and Calimshan as a Land of Intrigue in most of the guides for FR.

Khaiel
2016-02-02, 02:11 PM
Well... It has a coastline to the Sea of Swords, doesn't it?

Nonah_Me
2016-02-02, 02:53 PM
I'm so desperately in love with Neverwinter, almost all of my characters in the Forgotten Realms come from there. I got into DnD from Neverwinter Nights, and it's always home to me.

Pinjata
2016-02-03, 04:50 AM
What about Baldur's Gate? I was sure 90% of posts will be Baldur's Gate. Heh.

Interesting.

Lorsa
2016-02-03, 08:01 AM

Interesting.

Perhaps it's because we'd rather end our journey there? Or at least travel there at some point during the campaign instead of simply starting off at this highly interesting city.

AMFV
2016-02-03, 08:15 PM

Interesting.

It's mostly because Baldur's Gate has been so thoroughly explored in other material. It'd be like starting your adventure in Waterdeep or in Neverwinter. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, however I'd rather start someplace I've not seen people start. Playing as folks in Thay for example, or Luskan.

sktarq
2016-02-03, 08:50 PM
I'd say it depends on the type of game I want to play. Luskan is great test of a DM - plenty to work with but easy to skim over the interesting stuff.

I like Waterdeep for some games and a Waterdeep focused campaign is something I recommend people try at least once.

Neverwinter is classic especially for the "training area" types.