PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Hero points idea

Pinjata
2016-02-02, 10:14 AM
So, my players like to compeltelly skip fluff and see the D&D world as statblocks. This actually often hurts them, because they try to parley with clerics of Grumsh (inb4 high enough Cha rolls) and alike, so I came up with an idea.

Campaign will be extremelly low magic(D&D 5e low standard), but during the start of each session, each player will have a cahnce to present a small chunk of lore (Faerun setting) he deems interesting (a few sentences) and will get a Hero point for it.

DM will also be able to do that and get one point each session for it.

How do you like it?

Azedenkae
2016-02-05, 06:33 PM
Not entirely sure. What do they get from those hero points?

Imo one thing about skipping fluff and rolling checks, is that it could harm the check. Many DM incorporate a 'what do you actually do' into a check and that modifies the roll.

For example, a player tries to intimidate an enemy. They shouldn't just be able to go 'I wanna intimidate this guy'. Or well they can, but my DMs so deduct a fewpoints off for that. Sure they may be tempted to go 'I bare my teeth and scrunch my face at it' every time, but at least that's participation. Plus that's for intimidation. Other stuff like deception requires more than that.

For me, if the players are not at least somewhat interested in fluff, then what's the point? Might as well play whatever preset roleplay game on the PC or whatever.

But that's imo.

[EDIT]

Just to be clear, I understand what Hero Points are, but I question what Hero Points do to the players. Really, a bit of fluff at the start imo doesn't really add to anything. It needs to be consistent throughout the game if it is important.