PDA

View Full Version : How would you make Vow of Peace usable?

Zaq
2016-02-02, 04:24 PM
There's been endless discussion on how to tweak Vow of Poverty to make it not horribly suck, but today I'd like to talk about the other VoP: Vow of Peace. (When I refer to VoP in here, I'm referring to Peace, not Poverty.)

I recently did a pacifist run through Undertale (though let's not discuss Undertale specifically here; I don't want any risk of spoilers for me or for anyone who happens to read this), which got me thinking about playing other games in a less-violent or non-violent manner. I feel like the 3.5 system is big enough to handle the concept of a character who doesn't want to kill things the way most adventurers do, but the as-written Vow of Peace feat itself does a very poor job of enabling that kind of character. (Sure, you don't need a feat to simply choose to play a nonviolent character, but I feel like there is value in providing an optional mechanical framework to support characters who choose to go down this path.)

Of course, on a surface level, the fact that it requires two annoying prereq feats makes it hard to fit into a normal build that isn't also being hampered by Vow of Poverty, and the draconian "ONE FALSE STEP EVER = NO MORE FEAT" mindset inherent to all the Vows is incredibly restrictive, so those are things that would have to be changed if we want to make it less annoying to use. But really, we all know that those aren't the primary reasons why VoP is hard to use.

Vow of Peace (and its prereq/cousin Vow of Nonviolence, hereafter VoNV) is really tricky because it forces the rest of the party to fundamentally alter their baseline assumptions about the game. It's a damn near universal baseline assumption that adventurers are going to be killing things (and usually taking their stuff, but that's another matter). Combat is a massive, massive part of the game, for better or for worse. A VoP character suddenly places restrictions on the other party members (generally not a good thing), so if the rest of the party isn't prepared for and actively accepting of a VoP character, you're looking at party friction at best and ruinous disharmony at worst. So any attempt to make VoP more usable is going to have to address that. At a bare minimum, we need to get rid of the clause in VoNV that mechanically penalizes your allies for killing things you have subdued; a VoP character should probably want to discourage their allies from being murderhoboes, but a mechanical "DO AS I SAY OR YOU WILL SUFFER" effect is not something that should be placed on your allies (especially without their consent, but it's bad either way).

In addition to the whole "you have to stop your party members from acting like adventurers" thing, there's the fact that VoP means that, well, you can't fight things normally. This isn't entirely a bad thing—the whole point of playing a VoP character is to explore a character who doesn't think of violence as a first resort and who doesn't want to just wantonly murder things, so to get rid of this restriction entirely is to completely ignore the point of VoP, which isn't what I'm aiming to do. What we need to do is look at where we're putting the emphasis: "can't fight things normally" instead of "can't fight things normally." Unless you're specifically aiming for a zero-combat game (which, again, requires the cooperation of the entire party, so we really don't want that to be the baseline we're starting from), D&D is going to involve fighting things one way or another, so a revised VoP should facilitate new ways for you to participate in combat without necessarily murdering everything. (The existing benefits of the feat are a start, but they're really not a finish, and we'll talk about that in a bit.)

Let's start with nonlethal damage. VoP/VoNV allow nonlethal damage, but they don't allow any new ways of actually doing that nonlethal damage, so unless you've already got access to a nonlethal weapon (typically not the case), you're looking at more feats (like Subduing Strike and/or Nonlethal Substitution) if you want to start "nonviolently" hitting things. Our revised VoP should allow you to do nonlethal damage without investing additional feats; anything less is basically an "unfunded mandate," which isn't good design. Now, being completely honest here, a VoP character who acts just like a non-VoP character but who simply swaps out normal damage for nonlethal damage is almost cheating. That said, I think it's important to have this option for two reasons. First, part of what makes RAW VoP so bloody hard to use is that it is very narrow-minded in exactly what kind of play style it does and does not support, and I don't want to end up with a similar situation. Second, nonlethal damage makes a great fallback or last resort option for a VoP character. Ideally, this type of character isn't going to want to attack things at all (lethally or nonlethally), but honestly, that's sometimes going to be unavoidable without completely overhauling the system (which, again, we don't want to do; we want our new VoP to be as party-friendly as possible, so we don't just want to invalidate the combat portions of our friends' builds), so it's good for a VoP character to have a way to contribute to combat in a semi-normal manner if all else fails. (They still have to take them prisoner and/or try to reform them after KOing them, but they can contribute to adding some kind of HP damage to the field until combat ends.) So, at a minimum, new VoP needs to basically include Subduing Strike and Nonlethal Substitution (or some other manner of converting lethal damage to nonlethal damage without additional investment).

But, like I said, nonlethal damage shouldn't be the primary goal of most VoP characters. (Again, I don't want to disallow the concept of someone who fights like a normal character but who always tries to KO people and take them alive, even if that's not the primary goal of VoP.) A VoP character should seek to end fights in ways that don't just involve comparing damage totals to HP totals. And while a feat cannot be expected to provide every method a character may have of contributing to combat, VoP should offer as many tools as possible to let you convince things to stop fighting you. The as-written VoP feat does provide exactly one tool for this issue, namely a constant aura of Calm Emotions. This is suboptimal for two reasons. First, it affects your allies and your enemies alike; not only does this unacceptably limit your companions' actions (seriously, how much fun is it to be told "make a Will save or you're mechanically not allowed to fight" in literally every single combat, with this situation arising solely from the actions of another player?), but it has a chance of actually doing more harm than good (in the case that the enemies save and your allies don't), which doesn't seem like a good idea. Second, straight up mind-controlling enemies into "save or stop fighting" really shouldn't be your primary method of resolving conflicts. I'm not saying that a VoP character should never be able to force a "save or stop fighting" effect, but just having a constant AoE of it that you can't even turn off just turns every possible conflict into an immediate save-or-lose situation. (It also makes things awkward when you walk away and therefore remove enemies from the Calm Emotions aura. Not an impossible situation to resolve, since ideally you should have used Diplomacy or something else to talk to them once they've been Calmed, but still definitely awkward.)

That said, the Calm Emotions aura is (very broadly) the kind of thing I want to see VoP give you, but I don't like the actual implementation of it. But VoP should give you tools for influencing combats in nontraditional ways. Now, I don't have a specific list of things I want VoP to offer you, and I'm more than happy to hear your input on that. I also open the floor to discuss how these tools should be doled out (whether they should be given all at once, unlocked at preselected levels, or chosen by the player at certain levels, and how often they should be usable, though I highly favor at-will or per-encounter abilities over X/day abilities, especially for something so critical to the character concept). But let's brainstorm the kinds of things that a VoP character should be able to do to influence combat once it starts. Just a few brainstorms:

The ability to magically calm an enemy and make them more receptive to talking isn't actually an inappropriate thing to have; it's really the fact that the RAW VoP gives an always-on AoE effect of it that makes it problematic. Perhaps something similar to the Pacifying Touch of the Apostle of Peace would make more sense.
I feel like it's thematically appropriate to give VoP characters the ability to mechanically discourage enemies from taking violent actions. Perhaps some manner of debuff that becomes worse if the target damages someone, or that lasts until they don't damage anyone for one round?
I'm not sure how to balance it, but it might make sense to force an enemy to take (nonlethal) damage when they themselves deal damage (similar to Forced Share Pain, perhaps).
The holy grail would be abilities that make enemies more willing to consider ways to end combat beyond "one side beats the other into submission." The tricky part would be writing these abilities in ways that are broadly applicable (let's not aim for universally applicable, since that's just going to cause problems) without making them completely OP. In an ideal situation, I'd like to format them in a manner other than simply "save or lose." Diplomacy is a start, but part of the problem is that the as-written Diplomacy skill is kind of bonkers OP if you abuse it; I doubt we can come up with a universally applicable fix for Diplomacy here, but perhaps we can assume that a careful GM will make Diplomacy more nuanced than just "you get a 50, so I'm going to stop fighting you and become your BFF now."
The as-written VoP makes you a less interesting target in that it gives you a weird set of bonuses to AC, and it also gives you a chance to just shatter weapons that attack you (destroying the weapon and negating the damage it would have dealt you). As written, I think this is both too strong and too weak; I don't like it the way it's presented here, but I do think it's valuable for the feat to include an effect or set of effects that discourages enemies from attacking you.

As you can see, I don't have a great set of ideas here. But I do think that VoP should give you ways to influence combat without necessarily influencing HP totals (lethally or nonlethally), and I'd like to see your thoughts on ways we can implement that. Ideally, a VoP character would be looking for ways to stop the combat rather than end the combat (in other words, trying to convince enemies to stop fighting before getting KOed instead of just trying to hasten them getting KOed), but there's a limit to how much of that we can mechanically encourage.

Let's talk a little bit more about how VoP/VoNV should and should not affect your allies. I do feel like it's inappropriate for a VoP character to simply knock out or incapacitate foes and then not think twice about letting their allies kill those foes. (There's a feat/build in 4e called Pacifist Healer that basically illustrates this. Clerics who take that feat get huge bonuses to healing, but bad things happen to them if they directly deal damage to enemies below 50% HP. I always felt like it was really weird to roleplay someone who wouldn't directly deal damage but who would gladly enable their friends to slaughter things; that's not a pacifist so much as someone who just leaves the dirty work to someone else.) That said, I also feel like it's inappropriate for your feat choices to impose penalties on your allies (as the RAW VoNV does), and I feel like it's inappropriate for a different character's actions (killing someone) to cause YOU to lose your feat. As I said above, I think it's a given that we'd need to relax the super-unyielding "any breach of the vow is permanent and irrevocable" nature of the vow, but that's the least part of it.

In terms of how to improve things, though? First off, I feel like carrots are more effective than sticks; I think that if VoP has to affect your allies at all, it should reward them for sparing the lives of enemies instead of punishing them for killing enemies. (Naturally, you'd need a GM to prevent bag-of-rats style abuse, but any reasonable attempt at a VoP character is going to require an involved GM.) What form or forms should this system of rewards take? I don't have a concrete answer. A moderate amount of free healing is an obvious cookie to hand out after a battle. Also, if an enemy who promises to surrender or to not interfere breaks their word and needs to be fought again, your allies should definitely get really big bonuses to fight that enemy the second time around. (This kind of takes the edge off of accusations of "YOU'RE the one who said we should leave them alive, so it's YOUR fault we had to fight them twice," though the fact that it ONLY comes up if the enemy proves dishonorable means that it shouldn't be the only carrot we're using.) It'd be dangerous to do too much hard-coding of this, but we might even provide a bonus to XP (for all involved party members) for encounters resolved nonviolently.

We could conceivably even let party members choose how much to "buy in" to the VoP. A party member who sincerely and willingly vows to approach problems nonviolently could get bigger carrots than a party member who chooses to approach things pretty much the same way they always have. Ideally, I'd like to see it set up such that a party member who doesn't want to buy in to the VoP person's mindset shouldn't have to, and their character would end up functioning exactly the way they expected them to before someone else announced their intention to take VoP. I'd even be willing to say that the VoP character shouldn't be penalized for the unwillingness of their friends to share in their vows (yes, I know this kind of contradicts what I was saying earlier about Pacifist Healer). There should be an understanding that a VoP character should make a sincere effort to convince their friends not to kill people (and the VoP character shouldn't just take VoP to make them better able to disable enemies and let them be killed; like I said, I'm assuming that there's at least a moderately involved GM here), but if their friends choose not to follow the path of peace, that shouldn't penalize the VoP character. The friends who choose violence should stop getting the carrots offered by VoP until they start solving problems nonviolently again, but I wouldn't make a VoP character "fall" because of the actions of their friends. (Again, the expectation should be that the character actually does want peaceful resolutions and shouldn't be planning on just letting their friends do the dirty work, but I don't think we make the game better by trying to mechanically force a very narrow mindset on the VoP character or on their allies.)

I've said an awful lot of words here, so I'll back off for a bit and open up the floor. What should our revised VoP look like? We want to remove some of the obnoxious bits (prereqs and draconian fall-clauses), we want to open up options for influencing combats in nontraditional ways (easy access to nonlethal damage as a last resort, and access to other methods of influencing combat without doing HP damage), and we want to have a positive effect on our allies instead of a negative effect. Fundamentally, we want to allow the VoP character to have new tools to solve problems nonviolently and give them the freedom to challenge some assumptions about the system, but we don't want to force the VoP's character's allies to have to change their tactics and their assumptions unless they freely choose to do so. Let's get started. What improvements can we make?

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-02, 04:29 PM
Give me a little time, and I can fish out a build that uses vow of peace and a bunch of feats that do nothing but make your opponents attack your opponents. It doesn't run afoul of your vow of peace, as it is other peoples actions that are causing axes to land in others' heads.

Lassos (PFTF?) tied to trained ambhibious mounts can drown your opponents using only non-lethal damage...

But I'll ruminate on your post a little and get back to substantively addressing your topic.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-02, 04:56 PM
Give bonuses to the saving throws, AC, die rolls, and DCs of all allies within, say, 60' for attack rolls, skill/ability checks, and abilities which are nondamaging for characters who haven't committed a 'violent act' (for whatever definition you choose) within the past, say, 24 hours. A charm person spell cast by the party wizard, for instance, might receive a +6 bonus to his save DC, while the party barbarian might gain a +6 bonus to his Intimidate skill and to-hit (for attacks that do not deal lethal damage only) if he has used nothing but intimidation and nonlethal damage for the same amount of time. Or maybe it's a scaling bonus. For every encounter that the character has refrained from engaging in violence, they gain a +2 bonus up to 2 x ECL, maybe.

Also, the bonuses go away for a fairly long time for a character who commits evil acts. Perhaps add some miss chances and such for characters who commit over the long term.

Also also, similar penalties for enemies within 60' that want to harm anyone not actively attacking them (Will save for half, maybe).

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-02, 05:27 PM
Never get hit again

Class

Feat

BAB

AC

Martial rogue

sacred vow (1), vow of poverty (b), combat expertise(b), nymphs kiss (b)

10+ 3 dex+ 4 exalted

cobra strike monk

vow of nonviolence (b), dodge

10+ 3 wis+ 3 dex + 4 exalted

cobra strike monk

advantageous avoidance (3), mobility (b)

10+ 3 wis+ 3 dex + 5 exalted

martial rogue

defender of the homeland (CoV) (b), combat reflexes (b)

martial rogue

fighter

deceptive dodge, trickery devotion, vow of peace

10+ 3 wis+ 3 dex + 8 exalted +3 deflection +2 nat

fighter

gnome tunnel acrobatics

10+ 3 wis+ 4 dex + 8 exalted +3 deflection +2 nat

marshal rogue

elusive target, servant of the heavens (b)

10+ 3 wis+ 5 dex + 8 exalted +3 deflection +3 nat

Fortunes friend

good karma

10+ 3 wis+ 5 dex + 9 exalted +3 deflection +3 nat

Fortunes friend

exalted feat, make your own luck

10+ 3 wis+ 5 dex + 9 exalted +3 deflection +3 nat

Fortunes friend

10+ 4 wis+ 6 dex + 9 exalted +3 deflection +3 nat

Fortunes friend

spring attack, unbelievable luck, exalted feat

10+ 4 wis+ 6 dex + 10 exalted +4 deflection +3 nat

Fortunes friend

fighter

fighter

weapon focus, alertness

10+ 5 wis+ 7 dex + 11 exalted +4 deflection +3 nat

devoted defender

10+ 5 wis+ 8 dex + 11 exalted +4 deflection +5 nat

Jaunter

10+ 5 wis+ 8 dex + 11 exalted +4 deflection +5 nat

Jaunter

combat panache

10+ 5 wis+ 8 dex + 11 exalted +5 deflection +5 nat

Jaunter

10+ 6 wis+ 9 dex + 11 exalted +5 deflection +5 nat

Jaunter

Just keep tumbling into and out of your opponents spaces, tripping some as you move out, your trickery devotion double doing the same. Deceptive dodge when you can. Always "fight defensively" and swap yourself for your allies whenever you can. Force opponents to reroll attacks with advantageous avoidance, and make them be unable to hit allies with the good karma feat. You can divert attacks as you move, when they would hit your friends. The violence around you is not caused by your attacking, only your defending. Max out sleight of hand and use your "attack" action to steal things so the opponent keeps attacking you and instead hitting their allies.

As to how to make vow of peace effective, consider something like a marshal's aura that grants negatives to everyone who makes hostile actions within 30' of you. Just replace all of the "+"s with "-"s and the word bonus with penalty. You consider everyone your ally. At 4th level, you can deny a move action to a person acting violently.

Flickerdart
2016-02-02, 05:31 PM
It might not be universally applicable, but many peaceful-style characters would want an "attack me, not them" sort of ability. If someone is getting hurt, it should be them and not some innocents.

And that's when the enemy's weapons suddenly explode and they're left with no recourse but to negotiate.

Interestingly, fear is a great way to make enemies retreat without harming them physically. Fear need not be an evil thing!

ExLibrisMortis
2016-02-02, 06:06 PM
I like Flickerdart's idea of having a 'tanking' mechanic combined with nonlethal retaliation. You could have a permanent aura of what is effectively Defensive Rebuke on steroids. Enemies take -1 on attack and damage rolls (or -1/2 on CL for spells/SLAs, rounded up) for every attack they attempt against anyone within 100' of the VoP character (besides that character), stacking, until the end of combat.

You could also do something like Stormguard Warrior, that is: for every (damaging) AoO you don't take, and for every non-damaging touch attack you make, you get a bonus to something. In the case of SGW, that's to hit and damage, but in the case of VoP, maybe saves, AC, and calming ability DCs should be increased, or the power of your Defensive Rebuke, or you get temporary hp instead of dealing damage.

Then, only those people who attack you - encouraged by your Defensive Rebuke - are hit by your Calming Aura. You don't die from the attacks, because your saves and AC are through the roof, and you're sitting on 100 temp hp you just full-attacked onto yourself.

(this might be the matter of a feat chain more than a single feat)

2016-02-02, 07:49 PM
Beguiler 7/Apostle of Peace 1/Mystic Theurge 10. If you can, use early entry and flaws to sneak Shadowcraft Mage in there.

Either way, you should be a master of non-lethal spell takedowns, and you should have a lot of options for distracting, misleading, or fooling enemies.

Zaq
2016-02-03, 01:25 PM
Give bonuses to the saving throws, AC, die rolls, and DCs of all allies within, say, 60' for attack rolls, skill/ability checks, and abilities which are nondamaging for characters who haven't committed a 'violent act' (for whatever definition you choose) within the past, say, 24 hours. A charm person spell cast by the party wizard, for instance, might receive a +6 bonus to his save DC, while the party barbarian might gain a +6 bonus to his Intimidate skill and to-hit (for attacks that do not deal lethal damage only) if he has used nothing but intimidation and nonlethal damage for the same amount of time. Or maybe it's a scaling bonus. For every encounter that the character has refrained from engaging in violence, they gain a +2 bonus up to 2 x ECL, maybe.

Also, the bonuses go away for a fairly long time for a character who commits evil acts. Perhaps add some miss chances and such for characters who commit over the long term.

Also also, similar penalties for enemies within 60' that want to harm anyone not actively attacking them (Will save for half, maybe).

I like some of this, but I don't like all of it. I'm fine with the bonuses disappearing for party members who choose not to follow the path of peace, but we definitely don't want to impose miss chances or any other direct penalties on characters who don't play along. Remember, I'm of the firm belief that a feat that I take shouldn't have a detrimental effect on your character.

I'd be interested in getting some opinions about what kind of actions it should take to give out these bonuses. On the one hand, spending your entire turn granting bonuses should definitely result in some really meaningful bonuses, or else you're not going to have much fun. (How often do even low-level Clerics actually spend a turn in combat on Bless, after all?) On the other hand, if everything is passive, we've got the problem inherent to the Marshal and/or the Dragon Shaman in that the VoP character doesn't actually have anything to DO on their turn, and that's not good. They might make a nonlethal attack or two, but the goal was to make them want to use their other tools first and only rely on nonlethal attacks if all else fails.

As to how to make vow of peace effective, consider something like a marshal's aura that grants negatives to everyone who makes hostile actions within 30' of you. Just replace all of the "+"s with "-"s and the word bonus with penalty. You consider everyone your ally. At 4th level, you can deny a move action to a person acting violently.

Cute build, but not really relevant to the thread (since I'm looking to tweak it rather than just kludge around what already exists.)

As I said above, making it all passive means that the VoP character doesn't have anything to do on their turn other than make a nonlethal attack, and I want to encourage them to actively use their other abilities over just making nonlethal attacks. (I don't want a situation where a VoP character's playstyle is basically "like everyone else, only I do nonlethal damage and automatically inflict penalties in an aura.")

It might not be universally applicable, but many peaceful-style characters would want an "attack me, not them" sort of ability. If someone is getting hurt, it should be them and not some innocents.

And that's when the enemy's weapons suddenly explode and they're left with no recourse but to negotiate.

Interestingly, fear is a great way to make enemies retreat without harming them physically. Fear need not be an evil thing!

You make a good point. Perhaps I should give more thought to the as-written "weapons shatter on me" ability—an enemy who sees that violence just isn't going to work on this character might have a chance of being talked to instead of battered into submission. Do you think it's actually balanced as written? If not, what would you change?

Fear is certainly an option. The problem is that as-written fear-stacking can turn into "save or lose" or "no save, just lose if you're not immune" pretty quickly. I'm not sure how to write in enough fear to be viable without putting in so much fear as to be OP (until the GM retaliates and everything is suddenly immune to fear and/or to mind-affecting).

I like Flickerdart's idea of having a 'tanking' mechanic combined with nonlethal retaliation. You could have a permanent aura of what is effectively Defensive Rebuke on steroids. Enemies take -1 on attack and damage rolls (or -1/2 on CL for spells/SLAs, rounded up) for every attack they attempt against anyone within 100' of the VoP character (besides that character), stacking, until the end of combat.

You could also do something like Stormguard Warrior, that is: for every (damaging) AoO you don't take, and for every non-damaging touch attack you make, you get a bonus to something. In the case of SGW, that's to hit and damage, but in the case of VoP, maybe saves, AC, and calming ability DCs should be increased, or the power of your Defensive Rebuke, or you get temporary hp instead of dealing damage.

Then, only those people who attack you - encouraged by your Defensive Rebuke - are hit by your Calming Aura. You don't die from the attacks, because your saves and AC are through the roof, and you're sitting on 100 temp hp you just full-attacked onto yourself.

(this might be the matter of a feat chain more than a single feat)

Definitely some good possibilities there. Using SGW as inspiration can give the VoP character something to do with their actions, if nothing else. I like the way you think.

Beguiler 7/Apostle of Peace 1/Mystic Theurge 10. If you can, use early entry and flaws to sneak Shadowcraft Mage in there.

Either way, you should be a master of non-lethal spell takedowns, and you should have a lot of options for distracting, misleading, or fooling enemies.

That's a decent build, but that's more for working with existing VoP than fixing it and making it friendlier to use. (Your character might have lots of nonlethal takedowns, but it still forces the rest of your party to play by your rules or suffer the consequences, etc. etc.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-03, 01:40 PM
I like some of this, but I don't like all of it. I'm fine with the bonuses disappearing for party members who choose not to follow the path of peace, but we definitely don't want to impose miss chances or any other direct penalties on characters who don't play along. Remember, I'm of the firm belief that a feat that I take shouldn't have a detrimental effect on your character.I think either you misread or I didn't explain well. Party members that commit to peaceful solutions when possible gain miss chances; they aren't penalized by them. You could also add DR, hardness, energy resistances, and immunities, as well.

I'd be interested in getting some opinions about what kind of actions it should take to give out these bonuses. On the one hand, spending your entire turn granting bonuses should definitely result in some really meaningful bonuses, or else you're not going to have much fun. (How often do even low-level Clerics actually spend a turn in combat on Bless, after all?) On the other hand, if everything is passive, we've got the problem inherent to the Marshal and/or the Dragon Shaman in that the VoP character doesn't actually have anything to DO on their turn, and that's not good. They might make a nonlethal attack or two, but the goal was to make them want to use their other tools first and only rely on nonlethal attacks if all else fails.Having a passive aura is fine; just make sure the character has other abilities as well. Perhaps a number of benefits that the character can bestow upon others within the peaceful aura, as well as the ability to move (willing) others around like chess pieces. The VoP character moves where he wants them to be, then swaps places, perhaps. This can be used for all sorts of nice strategic and tactical purposes, and the higher level you are, the more things you can do -- moving yourself, then swapping with another, then swapping two others, then shuffling three or more around. The larger the party, the better the benefit.

How about giving the VoP character a spell list and spell slots each level that uses his HD as his CL, with a number of healing, utility, mobility, battlefield control, summons, buff, and debuff spells, as well as a few spells that deal damage, with the rider that they deal nonlethal damage unless the target is irredeemable, whereupon they deal extra holy damage? If the character is already a spellcaster, not only does the character get these extra spell slots, but the spells are added to his regular spell list, as well.

Xuldarinar
2016-02-03, 01:42 PM
I remember contemplating a build that involves

Shadowcaster/Apostle of Peace/Mystic Theurge. Utilize non-lethal mysteries, be they that way in damage or they exist as utility.

But thats my 10 cents.

Psyren
2016-02-03, 01:42 PM
Add Incarnum feats to the list of what it can grant and you solve the majority of problems easily.

Zaq
2016-02-03, 02:21 PM
I think either you misread or I didn't explain well. Party members that commit to peaceful solutions when possible gain miss chances; they aren't penalized by them. You could also add DR, hardness, energy resistances, and immunities, as well.

Having a passive aura is fine; just make sure the character has other abilities as well. Perhaps a number of benefits that the character can bestow upon others within the peaceful aura, as well as the ability to move (willing) others around like chess pieces. The VoP character moves where he wants them to be, then swaps places, perhaps. This can be used for all sorts of nice strategic and tactical purposes, and the higher level you are, the more things you can do -- moving yourself, then swapping with another, then swapping two others, then shuffling three or more around. The larger the party, the better the benefit.

How about giving the VoP character a spell list and spell slots each level that uses his HD as his CL, with a number of healing, utility, mobility, battlefield control, summons, buff, and debuff spells, as well as a few spells that deal damage, with the rider that they deal nonlethal damage unless the target is irredeemable, whereupon they deal extra holy damage? If the character is already a spellcaster, not only does the character get these extra spell slots, but the spells are added to his regular spell list, as well.

Hmm. That would definitely be a good rewrite for Apostle of Peace, but I don't know if it's appropriate for a single feat to grant spellcasting. I could see a GM allowing that on a case-by-case basis to support a player who genuinely wants to find nonviolent solutions to most problems, since that would be contingent upon the character actually being highly dedicated to the cause of peace. I dunno if it's a catch-all solution, though, even if we put limits on what those spells could and couldn't qualify you for.

Add Incarnum feats to the list of what it can grant and you solve the majority of problems easily.

Vow of Peace doesn't grant any feats. You're thinking of Vow of Poverty, which has an entirely different set of problems than Vow of Peace.

Psyren
2016-02-03, 02:33 PM
Vow of Peace doesn't grant any feats. You're thinking of Vow of Poverty, which has an entirely different set of problems than Vow of Peace.

Whoops, you're absolutely right :smallredface:

I would scrap Vow of Peace entirely - Vow of Nonviolence works fine on its own.

The Viscount
2016-02-09, 08:19 PM
Something to potentially replace the aura of calm emotions (I agree a touch is a better option) is an aura of peacebond. It prevents weapons from being drawn but allows another save if attacked, so has some protection for your party (or they could simply begin weapons unsheathed).

Something to consider along the lines of discouraging violence is a page or sheaf from Insidious Corruptor's book. It offers bonuses for following its enchantment type suggestions.

For the nonlethal route, perhaps just make any weapon the VoP user holds gain the merciful enchantment as long as they hold it?

Ger. Bessa
2016-02-10, 01:38 AM
Give me a little time, and I can fish out a build that uses vow of peace and a bunch of feats that do nothing but make your opponents attack your opponents. It doesn't run afoul of your vow of peace, as it is other peoples actions that are causing axes to land in others' heads.

Lassos (PFTF?) tied to trained ambhibious mounts can drown your opponents using only non-lethal damage...

But I'll ruminate on your post a little and get back to substantively addressing your topic.

I can perfectly imagine the poor lad clawing at his throat, drowning, while the "apostle of peace" drags him in the depths and telling him to "stop struggling".

The dialogue is absolutely in character, the rest, a bit less.

sengmeng
2016-02-10, 12:13 PM
Nonlethal damage is fine. Be a Monk 1, Rogue X with Ascetic Rogue feat, and take Vow of Poverty as well. Punch everyone to unconsciousness. Monks can choose to deal nonlethal damage. And that's just your last resort; you can still avoid or negotiate with enemies using your rogue skills. Constructs and Undead will just have to be punched to death. Pick up the Use Rope skill so you can tie everybody up.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-10, 12:21 PM
Monk 1, Rogue X

take vow of povertyWhy would you do that to him?!

Ger. Bessa
2016-02-10, 12:49 PM
Nonlethal damage is fine. Be a Monk 1, Rogue X with Ascetic Rogue feat, and take Vow of Poverty as well. Punch everyone to unconsciousness. Monks can choose to deal nonlethal damage. And that's just your last resort; you can still avoid or negotiate with enemies using your rogue skills. Constructs and Undead will just have to be punched to death. Pick up the Use Rope skill so you can tie everybody up.

If skirmish can also be made nonlethal, make it halfling monk 5/rogue X with swift ambusher and ascetic stalker. You get nearly full skirmish, big sneak attack and high damage unarmed strike.

Also, drop vow of poverty and invest in UMD ranks, since you're, you know, a rogue...

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-10, 01:25 PM
If skirmish can also be made nonlethal, make it halfling monk 5/rogue X with swift ambusher and ascetic stalker. You get nearly full skirmish, big sneak attack and high damage unarmed strike.

Also, drop vow of poverty and invest in UMD ranks, since you're, you know, a rogue...If skirmish is like sneak attack, the only way to make damage nonlethal is by using a nonlethal weapon, such as an unarmed strike, a sap, or a weapon with the merciful property. It's impossible to make sneak attack nonlethal otherwise.

And if you're making a monk with more than two levels, make it six levels and take as many ACFs as you can, including martial monk to get any fighter feats you want (RAW, ignoring prereqs).

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-10, 01:29 PM
Merciful harpoons with 100 ft tail ropes and a high strength score can drag people into your aura of peace? & Calm them down. And then Heal check the harpoon out when they've chilled a bit to remove it without doing damage. Add quick draw and multiple harpoons to your huge quiver so that you bog down their action economy, especially once you get iteratives (or two weapon fighting...) You'll need a few decent ropes, because they can just cut it or try to burst it with a strength check. Cable from Savage species might help. Once they are in range, or even before, baleful polymorph them into humanoids so that the peace aura works.

It's ridiculous.

You want to be as large as possible, have access to polymorph, and a few fighter bonus feats. Bring a real cleric with you to handle undead. Leaving the only creature type you really struggle with are those with immunity to polymorph...stupid oozes. But perhaps just...command oozes to get into giant glass containers that you use fabricate to make? That leaves plants, which you can handle with the blightbringer or plant domains.

Martial rogue 2 (exotic weapon pro +quick draw)/sorcerer X + planar touchstone:catalogues of enlightenment: ooze or slime domain. Domain access acf: plant domain.

If you still dislike your relationship with undead, consider taking undead empathy from some eberron splat and rendering them moot, or convincing them with diplomacy to hang out in your gelatinous cube aquarium... It's not nice to underfeed your oozes...

Be a kiloren while your at it, seeing as how their smite ability doesn't specify melee, and you can mericifully smite them with your harpoon, getting + charisma bonus to your attack roll!

Consider getting marshal 3 in that build somewhere to beef your opposed strength rolls and you charisma...

Beef strength and charisma (weird, I know). On the plus side, on your off time, you can make money with profession: model.

sengmeng
2016-02-10, 01:38 PM
Why would you do that to him?!

Also, drop vow of poverty and invest in UMD ranks, since you're, you know, a rogue...

I just thinks it's funny to have a character sneaking around pummeling people with his bare fists like a Bizarro Batman that has no money. Whatevs. If there were better choices for all the bonus Exalted feats, this would get a lot more viable.

Edit:

If skirmish is like sneak attack, the only way to make damage nonlethal is by using a nonlethal weapon, such as an unarmed strike, a sap, or a weapon with the mercy property. It's impossible to make sneak attack nonlethal otherwise.

And if you're making a monk with more than two levels, make it six levels and take as many ACFs as you can, including martial monk to get any fighter feats you want (RAW, ignoring prereqs).

Monks deal nonlethal damage at their option, it's the only reason to discuss them in this thread at all.

Xuldarinar
2016-02-10, 02:55 PM
Although I already posted something earlier, I think i've more to contribute;

Assuming one retains their class features after no longer qualifying for a prestige class (Lets say by change of alignment), then.. I think i've had an idea that doesn't involve peacefully beating people unconscious;

A redeemed Insidious Corruptor taking on this line of feats, utilizing their prestige class's class features to better enable them to coerce their foes. Vow of Nonviolence actually can lend its bonus to Claws of Influence. Close to within 20 feet if in combat, or 30 feet if out of it, utilize claws of influence to gain a sizable bonus to social abilities.

Such an individual might lie and manipulate still, but always to either directly or indirectly good ends.

If one opens up pathfinder options, or even the character is used under pathfinder; Utilize the Xenoglossy feat.

edit: And, I just noticed this PrC was mentioned earlier. Huh.

Flickerdart
2016-02-10, 03:19 PM
You make a good point. Perhaps I should give more thought to the as-written "weapons shatter on me" ability—an enemy who sees that violence just isn't going to work on this character might have a chance of being talked to instead of battered into submission. Do you think it's actually balanced as written? If not, what would you change?

It's probably not balanced, mostly because it hoses the martials and nobody else. Everything (spells, arrows, pets) should be dampened by the aura.

Fear is certainly an option. The problem is that as-written fear-stacking can turn into "save or lose" or "no save, just lose if you're not immune" pretty quickly. I'm not sure how to write in enough fear to be viable without putting in so much fear as to be OP (until the GM retaliates and everything is suddenly immune to fear and/or to mind-affecting).
Area denial? Enemies within X range of the pacifist are overcome with awe and terror and must immediately retreat outside the area. Perhaps some variation of the "keep vampires at bay" mechanics or antilife shell could work.

MilleniaAntares
2016-02-11, 04:41 PM
Let Vow of Peace allow combat maneuvers to be viable, for both yourself and your allies. If the enemy has nothing to stab you with, combat will end. Also tying them up.

Allow Calm Emotions to be used, and increase the DC for each round an enemy hasn't been damaged.