PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How would you build an arcane trickster in core only?

gooddragon1
2016-02-02, 06:49 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Troacctid
2016-02-02, 07:15 PM
In core-only, you basically have two choices for entry: Rogue 3/Wizard 5, or Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Assassin 1. The former loses an extra caster level; the latter has problems with cross-class skill requirements.

MisterKaws
2016-02-02, 07:22 PM
Rogue 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster 10/Archmage 4

You can sneak attack with any spell that allows a ranged attack, so there's no need to put more rogue levels, instead, throw in Archmage for the high arcanas and maybe just keep using Magic Missiles and element-swapped Scorching Rays.

gooddragon1
2016-02-02, 07:58 PM

You can sneak attack with any spell that allows a ranged attack, so there's no need to put more rogue levels, instead, throw in Archmage for the high arcanas and maybe just keep using Magic Missiles and element-swapped Scorching Rays.

I think you need to be wizard 5 at least though because of the 3rd level slot requirement.

In core-only, you basically have two choices for entry: Rogue 3/Wizard 5, or Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Assassin 1. The former loses an extra caster level; the latter has problems with cross-class skill requirements.

Well, I don't want to play an evil character (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) so I guess it's the first one.

hmm

Rogue 3/Wizard 7/Arcane Trickster 10 or Rogue 5/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster 10... 9th level spells sound good... but is it really worth losing +1d6 sneak attack?

The reason for this character is because although I like cleric, I want to try out rogue. However, magic makes everything better, so I figure I can still backstab really nicely when I want to and be useful when I can't. 9th level spell slots should make me useful probably. Core only is annoying, but a game is a game.

MisterKaws
2016-02-02, 08:07 PM
I think you need to be wizard 5 at least though because of the 3rd level slot requirement.

Well, I don't want to play an evil character (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) so I guess it's the first one.

hmm

Rogue 3/Wizard 7/Arcane Trickster 10 or Rogue 5/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster 10... 9th level spells sound good... but is it really worth losing +1d6 sneak attack?

The reason for this character is because although I like cleric, I want to try out rogue. However, magic makes everything better, so I figure I can still backstab really nicely when I want to and be useful when I can't. 9th level spell slots should make me useful probably. Core only is annoying, but a game is a game.

Set archmage to 2 and wizard to 5, change nothing else. 9th level spells are worth more than virtually anything.

gooddragon1
2016-02-02, 08:12 PM
Set archmage to 2 and wizard to 5, change nothing else. 9th level spells are worth more than virtually anything.

Kinda limited to core only, cheese is a bad idea, and I have a feeling it's "you must have seen it to polymorph into it". Still, shapechange is usually good even with a limited selection.

LTwerewolf
2016-02-02, 08:12 PM
In no way is 1d6 sneak attack worth not getting 9th level spells. It wouldn't even be worth not getting 4th level spells. I'd argue it's not worth not getting 2nd.

Rezialn
2016-02-02, 08:46 PM
Could you add a companion to core?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/accomplished-sneak-attacker

Rogue 1, Wizard 9, Trickster 10.

LordOfCain
2016-02-02, 08:50 PM
Could you add a companion to core?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/accomplished-sneak-attacker

Rogue 1, Wizard 9, Trickster 10.

This is DnD 3.5 as you can tell from the skills. Hide, Move Silently, Search, Disable Device and maybe others

nedz
2016-02-02, 09:42 PM
It depends upon what you mean by Core. If UA is available, a la SRD, then you could go.
Rogue 1 / Fighter 1 (sneak) / Wizard 5 / Arcane Trickster 10

Magic Missile is no good - no to hit roll = no sneak attack

MisterKaws
2016-02-02, 09:49 PM
It depends upon what you mean by Core. If UA is available, a la SRD, then you could go.

Crap, forgot that. There's a variant that requires attack rolls, don't remember where though.

gooddragon1
2016-02-02, 10:05 PM

Just the 3 base books. SRD is nope if it isn't from those. So no UA either.

Psyren
2016-02-03, 10:27 AM
3.5 version: Rogue 3/Wiz 5/AT 10/Loremaster 2

PF version: Rogue 3/Wiz 3/AT 10/Loremaster 4

Both get 9th level spells and plenty of skills