PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Captain America in Four Levels?

Palanan
2016-02-02, 08:08 PM
Is it possible to do a basic shield-throwing, justice-dealing Captain America with just four levels?

I know his stats won't be stellar at fourth level, and he won't be Golarion's best fighter, but can he at least hold his own in a fight using only a shield? Available sources include the CRB, APG, the Ultimates and the Player Companions; no 3P, psionics or Unchained material.

Given this, can it be done?

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-02-02, 08:26 PM
Shield Champion brawler. You hit things with a shield, and you punch things. Possibly mix Mutagenic Mauler for the super-soldier aspect, but with a shield champion, I might want the extra feats. Make the shield out of Adamantine if you can.

Xuldarinar
2016-02-02, 08:46 PM
If you can get Occult Origins, consider the Mind Sword paladin. Maybe that for a shield oriented build?

Palanan
2016-02-02, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph
Shield Champion brawler. You hit things with a shield, and you punch things.

Sounds very promising. What feats are needed to pull it off?

Originally Posted by Xuldarinar
If you can get Occult Origins....

Probably not--I should've mentioned that Occult material is off the table for now.

Xuldarinar
2016-02-02, 08:55 PM
-snip-
Probably not--I should've mentioned that Occult material is off the table for now.

Thats a shame. Well, I'm certain it is more than doable without. I'd invoke VMC Wizard for similar reasons, but again.. thats crossed off as thats in unchained.

Hopefully others, and it does look that way, will provide more satisfactory answers.

Captain Morgan
2016-02-03, 01:23 AM
Sounds very promising. What feats are needed to pull it off?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LbNMQHarmSH9lkNjsHCmgz-PFswCw6UeRp4qkFih5Mc/mobilebasic

If you keep Martial Versatility, focus on feats which open up prerequisite trees.

Power Attack
Point Blank Shot
Dirty Fighting
Shield Slam

And I'd probably use some combination of Tripping, Dirty Tricks, and Bull rush on this guy.

grarrrg
2016-02-03, 03:20 AM
Agreed that Brawler is probably the top choice.

If you had a few more levels to work with, then 6 levels of Ranger might be handy for that sweet, sweet Shield Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-master-combat---final) feat (bonus at level 6).
Of course, 2 levels of Ranger can always get you some Bull Rush goodness by way of Shield Slam (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-slam-combat---final).

Swaoeaeieu
2016-02-03, 04:31 AM
if pathfinder, get your hands on path of war. iron tortoise gives shield throwing manouvers! cap amarica was never this easy!

Cwymbran-San
2016-02-03, 06:16 AM
Was my first idea as well, but he said no 3p, so thats off the table as well.

Starbuck_II
2016-02-03, 01:20 PM
if pathfinder, get your hands on path of war. iron tortoise gives shield throwing manouvers! cap amarica was never this easy!
You can get free action throwing shields for +50 gp. They let you un-don and throw them as a free action.

With quick draw, you can don Quickdraw shields as a free action.

Together, you can throw multiple shields at foes.

Palanan
2016-02-03, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by grarrrg
Of course, 2 levels of Ranger can always get you some Bull Rush goodness by way of Shield Slam.

Shield Slam requires a +6 BAB, which won't work here. Is there a ranger archetype that gets this earlier?

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
If you keep Martial Versatility….

I'm not familiar with Martial Versatility, and I'm not sure how it would work here, since I'd like his shield to be his only weapon.

grarrrg
2016-02-03, 09:58 PM
Of course, 2 levels of Ranger can always get you some Bull Rush goodness by way of Shield Slam (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-slam-combat---final).
Shield Slam requires a +6 BAB, which won't work here. Is there a ranger archetype that gets this earlier?

Yes.
2 levels of Ranger.
"He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites."
Weapon and Shield Style offers Shield Slam at level 2 (like I stated before).
And Shield Master at level 6 (also stated before).

Palanan
2016-02-03, 10:24 PM
Weapon and Shield Style offers Shield Slam at level 2....

Thanks for clarifying. I'm still fairly new to Pathfinder and didn't realize you were referring to the APG.

And Shield Master at level 6 (also stated before).

Which regrettably won't help me, since I only have four levels to work with, as per thread title.

Captain Morgan
2016-02-04, 02:39 AM

I'm not familiar with Martial Versatility, and I'm not sure how it would work here, since I'd like his shield to be his only weapon.

I meant Martial Flexibility. My bad.

Sacrieur
2016-02-04, 12:17 PM
Path of War's Vanguard Commando archetype for Warlord.

You get the leadership stuff and the shield stuff, all in one super fun package.

Was my first idea as well, but he said no 3p, so thats off the table as well.

):

Well, then. Everything else just feels like a dull replacement to me.

Psyren
2016-02-04, 12:36 PM
Since I don't think anyone's linked it yet: Shield Champion Brawler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/brawler/archetypes/paizo---brawler-archetypes/shield-champion)

There you go, Cap in 1st-party.