PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Variants

Everyman
2007-06-15, 03:59 PM
My fiance is looking to build an acrobatic rogue, but will not be a rogue for long. Also, she has no interest in "Trapfinding" or "Trap Sense" (not her playing style). What I need from you guys is this: Are there any listed variants for rogue or rogue-ish classes that substitute "Trapfinding" and/or "Trap Sense" for some other feature?

If possible, this alternate feature would compliment an acrobatic rogue (who is likely to enter the theif-acrobat PrC).

IMPORTANT NOTES
Rogue (undecided race)
Ability Scores: High Dexterity and Intelligence followed by Constitution, Strength, Wisdom, then Charisma (hasn't rolled yet, but that's the order of importance

EDIT: Please don't give me suggestions on how to build a rogue. That's not what I'm looking for, folks. I just need variants.

Sources that I've already reviewed (just to save you guys time): PHBII, Unearthed Arcana

Thanks for your help!

Fax Celestis
2007-06-15, 04:02 PM
CCham has a Trap Sense replacement, as does CMage. CMage's would probably work better for an acrobat, while CCham's is more for an undead-killer.

EDIT: Also, I think there's something in Dungeonscape, but I'm not sure.

cubecrazymonkey
2007-06-15, 04:08 PM
I don't have a different build to replace those, but here are a few suggestions for an acrobatic Rogue:

From Complete Scoundrel
~Acrobatic Backstab Skill Trick- You can use a successful tumble check as a move action to do a sneak attack within one turn.
~Group Fake-out Skill Trick- You can use one bluff check to feint a whole group of enemies, at a -2 for each successive baddy
~Mosquito Bite Skill Trick- You can attack an enemy without the enemy realizing they've been hit for another round afterwards.
~Master of Masks PrC- You can use the Assassin mask for some bonuses to hide, move silently, and sneak attacks, the Jester Mask for a boost to jump and tumble and perform, and the Angel mask for the ability to fly.
~I believe there's another skill trick (though I'm blanking the name) that allows you to perch up a wall in a corner, freeing your hands for attacking.
~A couple other skill tricks aid your climbing and jumping abilities in interesting ways
~In fact, since there might be a very heavy reliance on skill tricks, a PrC like Uncanny Trickster or Battle Trickster might work well.

magicwalker
2007-06-15, 04:10 PM
Complete Scoundrel is pretty nifty for high-skill pointed rogues who don't want to use them in skills. The skill-ability things...

Draz74
2007-06-15, 04:12 PM
Psychic Rogue?

Everyman
2007-06-15, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the input, Fax. I forgot about the class alternates in the new Complete books. I'll check'em out.

As for the rest of you guys, I just need variants. I don't need suggestions for how to build the rogue (not my job). I am just trying to find variants that give up "Trapfinding" and "Trap Sense" for something a bit more acrobatic.

Thanks for the input, though.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-15, 04:27 PM
For what it sounds like you want, I'll recommend Antiquarian from CCham and Spell Sense from CMag, potentially Penetrating Strike from Dungeonscape.

kpenguin
2007-06-15, 04:38 PM
Not really acrobatic, but the changeling race from Eberron has racial substitutions (Races of Eberron) that replace trap sense and trapfinding with social intuition and minor lore respectively.

Social intuition lowers the time spent on gathering information and sensing motive as well as allowing you to take 10 on bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, sense motive, and gather information checks. Charisma is your dump stat, but stlll...

Minor lore allows you to gain a +1 bonus to knowledge checks per 3 levels and you can add this bonus when you assist on knowledge checks.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why does your fiance want to replace trap sense? It gives a bonus on reflex saves, which is sort of acrobatic.

Fixer
2007-06-15, 04:48 PM
I have a houseruled variant an old DM let me play.

He lost his sneak attack damage in return for getting a bonus feat when he normally would have gotten an extra die of damage. These feats could ONLY be social feats, no combat feats or item creation or anything else. We called it the Nuncio variant.

Mike_G
2007-06-15, 04:54 PM
The 3.0 Rogue/Bard supplement, Song and Silence had a Thief Acrobat class.

Don't know how much has changed.

Everyman
2007-06-15, 06:18 PM
Fax, I'll see if my fiance likes those options. Thanks!

kpenguin, changelings aren't an available player race. However, those are nice examples. Perhaps a homebrew variant could come from it...

Oh, and the whole reason she is possibly interested in losing trap sense is because she is not sure whether or not she'll care if she can disable traps or find traps. She'd rather be quick and acrobatic than be twitchy, I guess.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-06-15, 08:39 PM
The Changeling variant Rogue gets 10 skill points a level and some neat feats for losing some trap sense. I see no reason why a +1 LA Oriental Adventures Hengeyokai shapechanger couldn't get the same benefit particularly with LA buy down. She would be a shapechanger and could change shape once a day + 1/HD to a cat, monkey, rat, sparrow or weasal or a few other animals which could be interesting for a rogue.

At level 1 the rogue gets Social Intuition

At level 3 the rogue gets Minor Lore

The Psi Rogue could also be interesting. The psi rogue basically loses 2 skill points a level for the psionic ability and is available as a web article at Wizards.

If you utlizied a psioinc changeling rogue you could basically let her play one with 8 skill points a level.

The Spell Thief might be another interesting option.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-15, 10:10 PM
@ Castlemike:

kpenguin, changelings aren't an available player race. However, those are nice examples. Perhaps a homebrew variant could come from it...
(emphasis mine)

Everyman
2007-06-15, 10:24 PM
Thank you, CoP.