PDA

View Full Version : Warlock: The Terrasque as an Otherworldly Patron?

Chalkarts
2016-02-02, 11:43 PM
I'll be making a Warlock for the next game I get into.
I want to make him a babbling insane homeless that just follows the party around creeping them out while being terribly useful at the same time.

I was thinking about an otherworldy patron fit for the D&D world. They mentioned Cthulhu in the warlick description but that just seemed like too much of a cross gaming foul for my brain to handle. I began thinking, the Terrasque, its a massive beast who lies sleeping and dormant awaiting the time when it can return and consume the world with its hunger. That sounds like a great old one to me so I figured why not?

What do you guys think?

Slipperychicken
2016-02-03, 12:09 AM
I dunno, he's kinda dumb for it. But then again, some other Old Ones like azathoth aren't very bright either, so it could work.

If I wanted to use the tarrasque itself as a serious thing, I'd give him wings and a breath-weapon, then give him a cool epithet like "The Dragon of the End" or "Devourer of Worlds". Or I'd just slightly rip off Nidgoggr (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr) and make him a mindless beast that gnaws on the wicked in hell (thereby absorbing all their malice and hatred into its own black heart) and is prophesied to devour all of creation during the battle of the apocalypse.

ZenBear
2016-02-03, 12:43 AM
Sounds legit to me. Yeah the Tarrasque is dumb, but as stated that doesn't really matter.

The only change I would make to the Tarrasque is give it a legit ranged attack. Throwing big chunks of rock should suffice, but some people like to be rules lawyers and argue that by RAW that's an improvised attack which means no proficiency to hit and 1d4 damage, despite the fact that the improvised weapon is a house. So either houserule size categories on improvised weapons or give it the Godzilla breathe weapon, since that's what it is.

pwykersotz
2016-02-03, 01:01 AM
One of your powers should be to once per long rest mimic the Tarrasque's carapace and reflect back a spell that hits you.

DracoKnight
2016-02-03, 01:29 AM
I think that I shall now start homebrewing this.

Occasional Sage
2016-02-03, 01:51 AM
I think that I shall now start homebrewing this.

Link when it's posted, please, so we can PEACH.

DracoKnight
2016-02-03, 04:41 AM
Link when it's posted, please, so we can PEACH.

Most definitely :smallbiggrin:

McNinja
2016-02-03, 04:50 AM
I dunno, he's kinda dumb for it. But then again, some other Old Ones like azathoth aren't very bright either, so it could work.

If I wanted to use the tarrasque itself as a serious thing, I'd give him wings and a breath-weapon, then give him a cool epithet like "The Dragon of the End" or "Devourer of Worlds". Or I'd just slightly rip off Nidgoggr (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr) and make him a mindless beast that gnaws on the wicked in hell (thereby absorbing all their malice and hatred into its own black heart) and is prophesied to devour all of creation during the battle of the apocalypse.
I think the tarrasque is a bit underpowered for a CR30 creature, starting with the fact that his attacks aren't magical, and by the time PCs would be fighting him they would have either resistance or immunity to nonmagical attacks (which is also a problem the ancient dragons have).

DracoKnight
2016-02-03, 05:27 AM
Here's the link to the promised Tarrasque Patron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477262-Otherworldly-Patron-The-Tarrasque). :smallbiggrin:

pwykersotz
2016-02-03, 01:33 PM
Here's the link to the promised Tarrasque Patron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477262-Otherworldly-Patron-The-Tarrasque). :smallbiggrin:

Haha, that's neat. Well done.

ZenBear
2016-02-03, 02:40 PM
I think the tarrasque is a bit underpowered for a CR30 creature, starting with the fact that his attacks aren't magical, and by the time PCs would be fighting him they would have either resistance or immunity to nonmagical attacks (which is also a problem the ancient dragons have).

Barbarians and War Clerics w/ capstone get resist bludgeon, slash, pierce, but who else? Without magic items, who could have immunity?

pwykersotz
2016-02-03, 02:47 PM
Barbarians and War Clerics w/ capstone get resist bludgeon, slash, pierce, but who else? Without magic items, who could have immunity?

Stoneskin is a useful spell in this regard.

gfishfunk
2016-02-03, 03:24 PM
How about his patron being an other-worldly lunatic that (incorrectly) believes that he is a Terrasque?

I like the idea of an insane patron.

Mordrigar
2016-02-03, 03:50 PM
Just a suggestion:

I know he's a god actually but Tharizdun could be great example of Otherwordly Patron. Worshipping Tharizdun is strictly forbidden and all gods united against him and locked him away. God without follower is not a god but still powerful Extraterrestrial, outsider being. If you ask me Chained God is a good Otherwordly patron. He is Cthulhu of DND pantheon.

Corran
2016-02-03, 04:02 PM
Just a suggestion:

I know he's a god actually but Tharizdun could be great example of Otherwordly Patron. Worshipping Tharizdun is strictly forbidden and all gods united against him and locked him away. God without follower is not a god but still powerful Extraterrestrial, outsider being. If you ask me Chained God is a good Otherwordly patron. He is Cthulhu of DND pantheon.
Tharizdun was and is my default assumption for GOO warlocks. It fits the fluff so much!

Addaran
2016-02-03, 04:39 PM
Haha, yeah i was also thinking of the Primordials (wich Tharizdun is one of) for Otherworldly patron.

I'm about to start a game friday in Forgotten Realms and i'm playing a GOOlock. His power come from a connection he has to Kezef. He doesn't really know what it is or even have a clear view of it, but more strange feelings and nightmare for now. So he search answers for that. Since Kezef eats the Faithful, i'll always be uncomfortable with priests and holy sites. Eventually (probably lvl 3 when i get the tome) i'll know what Kezef is and why i'm so afraid. From there, i'll stay as far as I can from becoming a Faithful and try to find a way to destroy him. Of course, that means i'll end up in the Wall or tortured for eternity if i don't succeed, but it's still better then stopping existing alltogether.
Should be a fun character. =)

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kezef

edit: For the Terrasque, it makes a great patron too. Not in the "made a deal with the devil" way, but a) becoming insane because you found intimate knowledge about him or b) you found some way to siphon his power when he's asleep.

rhouck
2016-02-03, 05:14 PM

Stoneskin is a useful spell in this regard.

Druids in elemental form have resistance as well.

Oathbreaker Paladins get resistance at 15th level iirc.

Anyone casting shapechange and/or true polymorph can turn into a creature with resistance or immunity (e.g., Androsphinx).

Only a handful of creatures have Magic Weapons in their statblock, so it's not that surprising that the Tarrasque does not. And I personally don't see a problem with players with resistance taking half damage (as the Tarrasque is still formidable in a slugging match). But it's pretty clear the designers goofed by failing to realize that PCs could become immune to non-magical attacks (via spells or magical items). Luckily that's fairly easy for a DM to fix (i.e., don't give PCs those items and don't let them polymorph/shapechange into immune creatures).

JoeJ
2016-02-04, 12:56 AM
Sounds legit to me. Yeah the Tarrasque is dumb, but as stated that doesn't really matter.

The only change I would make to the Tarrasque is give it a legit ranged attack. Throwing big chunks of rock should suffice, but some people like to be rules lawyers and argue that by RAW that's an improvised attack which means no proficiency to hit and 1d4 damage, despite the fact that the improvised weapon is a house. So either houserule size categories on improvised weapons or give it the Godzilla breathe weapon, since that's what it is.

I'd remind said rules lawyers that, since there's no ranged attack listed for the Tarrasque in the MM, adding one at all has already invoked Rule 0. Damage is therefore whatever the DM wants it to be.

McNinja
2016-02-04, 01:06 AM
Barbarians and War Clerics w/ capstone get resist bludgeon, slash, pierce, but who else? Without magic items, who could have immunity? I was thinking that any player who would have the ability to take on a CR 30 creature would have enough magic gear to fill a bag of holding.

On the subject of the tarrasque, I was reading somewhere that there was a version that could throw tail spikes like a manticore. That would be pretty cool.

Or a ancient dragon breath weapon. Whichever.

ZenBear
2016-02-04, 06:35 AM
I was thinking that any player who would have the ability to take on a CR 30 creature would have enough magic gear to fill a bag of holding.

The game is balanced without the inclusion of magic items, so expecting anything to survive against a player with unlimited numbers of them is folly. Outside of a caster that can cast Wish to just instantly win, that is, because of course casters have to be OP. This is D&D after all.