PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New race for my campaign

Wasp1
2016-02-03, 06:03 AM
I would actually like a bit of help. I have recently started delving into psionics, and I am having a bit of an issue understanding it. The reason that I want to learn more about psionics and how to use it is because I have a nasty surprise for my PC's, and there is one guy that is always checking out everything that I throw at them to see how best to defeat it, or correct how I run it, so I pretty much want him to learn a bit of a lesson, that lesson being that the DM always wins. So, every (in-game) day I have one PC roll a percentile, if that PC rolls a 1%, they will be abducted by aliens. I had decided to use psions as a base for which to create these aliens. I want to make my own because I don't much care for the extra-planar beings that already exist in D&D. When I DM, I create everything myself, dungeons, cities, world, everything. However, I have never created my own race before, so I'm having a bit of trouble with it. After all, I haven't DMed in many years.
I figure that the Telepath discipline is closest to what I'm looking for in a race, but I want just as much telekinesis. I want these aliens to not only captivate the PCs' minds, but literally fling them through the air and pin them against a wall if need arises. But, I have no earthly idea how to play psionics.
I am a mean DM, but my PC's like the way that I go about it.See, I'm not afraid to let a PC die. In fact, there have been several new characters drawn up, and the highest level character is only level four. I let them shoot themselves in the foot, and they seem to do it a lot. But I digress, I need some help with an epic level totally unbeatable alien race, just to scare the [expletive] out of these guys.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

thoroughlyS
2016-02-05, 01:01 PM
I have recently started delving into psionics, and I am having a bit of an issue understanding it. The reason that I want to learn more about psionics and how to use it is because I have a nasty surprise for my PC's, and there is one guy that is always checking out everything that I throw at them to see how best to defeat it, or correct how I run it, so I pretty much want him to learn a bit of a lesson, that lesson being that the DM always wins.

But, I have no earthly idea how to play psionics.
Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0)'s a pretty good guide to understanding Psionics.

I had decided to use psions as a base for which to create these aliens. I want to make my own because I don't much care for the extra-planar beings that already exist in D&D.

I figure that the Telepath discipline is closest to what I'm looking for in a race, but I want just as much telekinesis. I want these aliens to not only captivate the PCs' minds, but literally fling them through the air and pin them against a wall if need arises.

...the highest level character is only level four.

I need some help with an epic level totally unbeatable alien race, just to scare the [expletive] out of these guys.
How do you feel about Mind Flayers/Illithids from the Monster Manual (p.186) and Expanded Psionics Handbook (p.204)? I understand you don't like the extra-planar entities, but these guys are actually the D&D equivalent of aliens, lore and all. They are also psionic, and regularly abduct people (there are a few templates that describe what happens to abducties, namely Half-Illithid (Fiend Folio p.91) and Voidmind (Moster Manual III p.187)). Just the MM one has at-will mind blast (AoE stun, DC 17), charm monster (DC 17), detect thoughts (DC 15), levitate, plane shift, and suggestion (DC 16). The XPH one improves this by saying it manifests powers as a 9th level Psion, so you can totally give it telekinesis. These things should be overpowering at 4th level, and tacking on levels of Psion can push them into unbeatable easily.