PDA

View Full Version : [Artifact] The Mouth of Nerull (peach)

DraPrime
2007-06-15, 04:22 PM
This is my first artifact so I don't expect it to be very good. It's going into the current library competition. So seriously tell me how to improve it.

The Mouth of Nerull
This book was written by the god of death himself. It is a necromancer's dream. Many have spent their lives searching for this book. It takes a full 2 weeks to read this book and if the reader is interrupted he/she must start again to gain the benefits. Good people, or those who don't pray to Nerull are simply unable to read the book. Once the reader is done he/she has gained knowledge of the darkest and most vile secrets about death. The reader can now cast 5 more necromancy spells per day of the highest level they can cast. For example, a sixth level sorcerer can cast 3 third level spells per day AND 5 necromancy spells (why a sixth level sorcerer would have this artifact is a mystery to me). The reader also learns 3 new necromancy spells. These spells must be ones that the reader could normally cast. Finally a reader gets an ability

Call of the Reaper(su)

Once per week you can make a touch attack against an enemy. If this touch attack succeeds you can unleash the power of Nerull into your enemy. If your enemy fails a DC 20 fort save it's instantly killed. Those killed by this attack can never come back to life with any method. Nerull has clamed their soul forever. This attack does not work against undead creatures. Instead it gives them 50 temporary hitpoints.

So what do you think? Overpowered? Underpowered? Stupid? Useless? Confusing?

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-15, 04:25 PM
When I saw this, I thought it was going to be some sort of trap to kill off idiotic PCs, like the Head of Vecna thing. As far as artifacts go...it's a bit underpowered, but only a bit. Maybe up the DC on that ability.

Matthew
2007-06-19, 09:28 PM
Yeah, seems okay to me.

SoulCatcher78
2007-06-19, 10:11 PM
A side effect for using the big power would make it a bit more balanced...will save DC15 to avoid a form of madness for instance. Keeps people from going for the kill to quickly or at least adds some RP opportunities.