PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Uses for Alter Image

Jay R
2016-02-03, 09:35 AM
I'm still fairly new to 3.5e. Clearly Alter Image Self would be a great utility spell if I knew enough race stats to take advantage of it. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask what people have already figured out.

I'm playing a gnome illusionist. That means he can alter himself to be any humanoid from Tiny to Medium. Besides the obvious use of the spell for disguise, I'm trying to figure out how best to use it for physical abilities.

Here are the best options I've found for:
Flying? None. [Really? Aren't there any flying humanoids?]
Running? 30" (several).
Burrowing? None.
Swimming? 60" (locathah).
Natural armor? +6 (troglodyte)

+15 Hide (skulk).
+8 swim (locathah, merfolk)
+4 Move silently (several).
+4 Balance & Jump (lizardfolk)

So what am I missing? And is there any way to get flight or burrowing?

Chronos
2016-02-03, 12:44 PM
Are you talking about Alter Self?

And what books do you have available? There are a few flying humanoids, but none of them are in core.

Jay R
2016-02-03, 12:55 PM
Yes, Alter Self.

The DM said, "Any Wizards of the Coast books are fine, as long as I okay whatever class, prestige class, race, etc. you select." Presumably, he'd have to OK any race my character alters himself into.

ComaVision
2016-02-03, 12:57 PM
Tren has +8 natural armour.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0

Flickerdart
2016-02-03, 01:07 PM
For burrow speed, Asabi from Monsters of Faerun have a 20ft one. They're a pretty good form - 50ft base speed, bite attack, bonus Lighting Reflexes feat, better jumping, and +2 natural AC.

Avarials, from Races of Faerun, have a 50ft fly speed and a bunch of skill bonuses.

For combat forms, you could do worse than Phaerlock (Underdark) or Varag (Monster Manual 4) for their claw/claw/bite routines. The Varag is twice as fast and has Spring Attack, but the Phaerlock has more AC.

You can also find it worthwhile to become a kobold, if your DM uses the web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) for them. On top of the claw/claw/bite, they get Slight Build, allowing them to count as Tiny for squeezing and opposed checks like Hide.

If you ever want to get buff, Shinomen Naga from Oriental Adventures are Large, 5HD humanoids.

Necroticplague
2016-02-03, 03:29 PM
If you ever want to get buff, Shinomen Naga from Oriental Adventures are Large, 5HD humanoids.

I thought they were updated in dragon to be monstrous humanoids?

Flickerdart
2016-02-03, 05:05 PM
I thought they were updated in dragon to be monstrous humanoids?
Then it becomes one of those "are we using Dragon?" questions.

ATHATH
2016-02-03, 05:18 PM
Isn't there a handbook somewhere for Alter Self forms?

Jay R
2016-02-03, 06:22 PM
This is great, guys. I knew the question was already answered somewhere; I just didn't know where.