PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian power help

Kyberwulf
2016-02-03, 10:44 AM
Hello. I am wondering if there is a Rage Power or simular ability that allows armor to be dropped down in encumbrance. Similar to Mithril's Special Armor abilities.

If there isn't how powerful would the Rage Power be if I mad it.
Unencumbrared. While raging, the encumbrance of any armor is considered to be light.

Red Fel
2016-02-03, 10:57 AM
Hello. I am wondering if there is a Rage Power or simular ability that allows armor to be dropped down in encumbrance. Similar to Mithril's Special Armor abilities.

If there isn't how powerful would the Rage Power be if I mad it.
Unencumbrared. While raging, the encumbrance of any armor is considered to be light.

First off, keep in mind that, whether Barbarian or Bloodrager, you are free to use medium, as well as light, armor. So other than armor checks, I'm not sure why you would need to reduce below medium, as opposed to light. Moreover, your proposal only reduces the encumbrance, not the other aspects of armor weight (e.g. check penalties), so it's really not that valuable, particularly when you consider that, when raging, your Strength (and by extension, your maximum encumbrance) increases. Lastly, mithral armor isn't automatically treated as light, it's treated as one category lighter; if you wanted this rage power to do the same thing (which would be a waste, since you can simply by mithral armor), you should have it say that; as-written, this power is only useful for someone who uses medium armor.

So, is there a Rage Power that does this? Not that I see. If you really wanted to make this a Rage Power, I'd write it as follows:

Like a Second Skin: While raging, treat any armor worn as one category lighter. For example, heavy armor is treated as medium, medium as light. Reduce all armor check penalties, arcane spell failure, etc., accordingly. If you are not proficient in the armor normally, this does not grant you proficiency.
Is it powerful? Not hardly. As a rule, anything you can get for money (in this case, buying mithral) is usually worth spending money on, as opposed to dedicating a class ability or feat to. You can get more money; you only have so many Rage Powers.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-03, 12:03 PM
Red Fel is right.

Save up for a Mithral Breastplate (+4000 gp). It's light armor all the time (not just when raging), Max dex is now +5, and ACP only -1.

Save the adjustments to class abilities or feats for things you can't buy.