PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Vaasuvius and Belkar

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-03, 12:44 PM
It is not a big guess, but am I the only one who thinks Vaasuvius is going to save Belkar or do others agree ? I mean, Belkar needs help and Vaasuvius is going the right way. I see a shot of an almost dead Belkar when suddenly the vampire is blasted by V or something.

2.5 cats
2016-02-03, 05:00 PM
Few things will annoy Belkar more than owing his life to V, so yeah it'll probably happen. :smallsmile:

Wildroses
2016-02-03, 07:56 PM
It did cross my mind during the comic that V and Blackwing are probably going to pass Belkar, so I can see it happening. My fingers are crossed that Belkar is going to be massively frustrated that now he is ready to kill Durkula over Roy's objections Roy no longer has any objections, and V could play into that. Belkar thinks he finally has someone else on his side to tell Roy he is wrong, only to have Roy say: "You were right all along." In the past Belkar has not handled it well when people take away his opportunity to be verbally obnoxious.

hagnat
2016-02-04, 09:55 AM
Few things will annoy Belkar more than owing his life to V, so yeah it'll probably happen. :smallsmile:

last time that happened it lead to some interracial action, and several explosive runes being cast

Quartz
2016-02-04, 10:51 AM
It is not a big guess, but am I the only one who thinks Vaasuvius is going to save Belkar or do others agree ?

What if V can't save Belkar because she's already using her Hand spell on Little Whiskers?

littlebum2002
2016-02-04, 11:37 AM
it lead to some interracial action

Just don't google that

Hamste
2016-02-04, 11:56 AM
What if V can't save Belkar because she's already using her Hand spell on Little Whiskers?

V may not like Belkar but I get the feeling they would be ok with putting down a cat to kill a vampire rather than letting Belkar die.

brian 333
2016-02-04, 01:23 PM
Belkar and Vaarsuvius both have 'Personal Growth' story arcs going at the moment. V, being aware of Belkar's previous reaction to hir help, may be a bit less inclined to deal with the issue in hir usual manner. If any help is required, I expect V to do so in a subtle manner which does not detract from Belkar's victory.

By the same token, Belkar's new 'Team Player' persona must accept that others will want to contribute to the victory as well. I will wager 1000 quatloos right now that in the event of V's arrival and aid during battle, Belkar will utter the phrase, "Thank you." Because that's what Team Players do. Right?

dancrilis
2016-02-04, 01:42 PM
I will wager 1000 quatloos right now that in the event of V's arrival and aid during battle, Belkar will utter the phrase, "Thank you." Because that's what Team Players do. Right?

I think it depends on if Belkar needs the help or not - having an enemy destroyed by someone else at the moment of victory might annoy anyone.

Deliverance
2016-02-04, 02:42 PM
I doubt Belkar is feline enough to be a valid target for Bugsby's Cat-retrieving Hand in the first place. :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2016-02-04, 03:14 PM
Oh no! What about Belkster's protobrain?:smalleek:

DaggerPen
2016-02-06, 12:00 AM
last time that happened it lead to some interracial action, and several explosive runes being cast

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/redcloak.gif
Technically it was inter species action. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html)

Quartz
2016-02-06, 09:13 AM
I doubt Belkar is feline enough to be a valid target for Bugsby's Cat-retrieving Hand in the first place. :smalltongue:

Didn't Belkar seduce a cat-woman at one point?

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-08, 05:36 PM
Didn't Belkar seduce a cat-woman at one point? Probably. For cheap laughs, he might refer to her as an animal companion of the X gp sort ... but I don't think Rich chose to make that joke.

Ruck
2016-02-08, 06:50 PM

I don't remember anything like this happening.

Lombard
2016-02-09, 03:21 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/redcloak.gif
Technically it was inter species action. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html)

Don't google that either

Quild
2016-02-09, 03:32 AM
I'm not completely sure that Belkar will have trouble fighting the big vampire he has to fight.

The vampires (likely vampire spawns) made of the Creed of Stone have proven to be quite weak. Some were killed by the arrows shot by the bodyguards. One shouldn't be big trouble for Belkar.

He got a third dagger (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0960.html) not so long ago, so even if he lost two while fighting HPoH (meaning fHPoH while he still was HPoH), he may have a spare.
Of course he can have sold the third one in Tinkertown.

So whatever the Giant will throws in, it will fit.

littlebum2002
2016-02-09, 11:06 AM

I think you're remembering the old "crack pairings" thread, which was banned for having that exact same sort of stuff.

LunarDrop
2016-02-16, 07:36 PM
I am a heavy Belvaar shipper, so I hope to gods this happens.
I need more shipping fodder.

ReleaseTheBees
2016-02-17, 09:41 AM
One thing I want to see resolved is The Oracle's ominous half-sentence in #567 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html).

As the Oracle talks about Belkar's fortune and whose deaths he might be responsible for, he counts off Roy, Miko, Miko's Horse, The Oracle himself, and V. All he says about V is:

"And as for the elf--"

Then he gets "cut off".

Remains to be seen...

Kantaki
2016-02-17, 10:54 AM
One thing I want to see resolved is The Oracle's ominous half-sentence in #567 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html).

As the Oracle talks about Belkar's fortune and whose deaths he might be responsible for, he counts off Roy, Miko, Miko's Horse, The Oracle himself, and V. All he says about V is:

"And as for the elf--"

Then he gets "cut off".

Remains to be seen...

Considering how flimsy the whole explanation was and that the Kobold only tried to prolong the time until his next resurrection I doubt it will come up again. It might have been a reference to the Soulsplice.
I mean he even admits that he wasn't buying it himself.

Pyrous
2016-02-17, 10:54 AM

"And as for the elf--"

Then he gets "cut off".

Remains to be seen...

The Ancient Black Dragon attacked V when the elf was isolated from the rest of the Order, which happened because they split the party, which happened because Roy died, which happened because Belkar gave him the ring.

Also, Azure City defenses were compromised because Nale captured Elan, because Belkar failed to protect him. And of course, they couldn't use the azurite nobles' warriors because of Shojo's death, which was, again, caused by Belkar.

And if Belkar hadn't killed the Oracle, Haley could have found a way to contact Durkon before V left the azurite fleet.

Right before talking about V, the Oracle says: "You caused the death of her horse, too. If we choose to define 'death' as our spirit being trapped in the Afterlife, then when you-"

"As for the elf-" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0897.html)

ReleaseTheBees
2016-02-17, 11:58 AM
The Ancient Black Dragon attacked V when the elf was isolated from the rest of the Order, which happened because they split the party, which happened because Roy died, which happened because Belkar gave him the ring.

Also, Azure City defenses were compromised because Nale captured Elan, because Belkar failed to protect him. And of course, they couldn't use the azurite nobles' warriors because of Shojo's death, which was, again, caused by Belkar.

And if Belkar hadn't killed the Oracle, Haley could have found a way to contact Durkon before V left the azurite fleet.

Right before talking about V, the Oracle says: "You caused the death of her horse, too. If we choose to define 'death' as our spirit being trapped in the Afterlife, then when you-"

"As for the elf-" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0897.html)
Solid point about being sent to the afterlife. But it's still a bit too flimsy for me and I have too much faith in the Giant's ability to seed plotlines years in advance. With Belkar's growth arc, how his Chaotic Evil Afterlife is balanced on a knife's edge, his foretold death and the dramatic direction OotS plunges more into every book, I'm still holding a candle to the idea Belkar's turbulent relationship with V is going darker places till.

V is scared she will be going to hell (correct D&D term not known), so I expect her death and subsequent rewards in the afterlife will come about before the end - not impossible it might be at the hands of Belkster, context yet to be explained.

This story does have a happy ending - for Elan at least...

Kantaki
2016-02-17, 12:08 PM
Solid point about being sent to the afterlife. But it's still a bit too flimsy for me and I have too much faith in the Giant's ability to seed plotlines years in advance. With Belkar's growth arc, how his Chaotic Evil Afterlife is balanced on a knife's edge, his foretold death and the dramatic direction OotS plunges more into every book, I'm still holding a candle to the idea Belkar's turbulent relationship with V is going darker places till.

V is scared she will be going to hell (correct D&D term not known), so I expect her death and subsequent rewards in the afterlife will come about before the end - not impossible it might be at the hands of Belkster, context yet to be explained.

This story does have a happy ending - for Elan at least...

That those explanations are rather flimsy is the entire point, I think. They certainly aren't any flimsier than the stuff the Kobold said. I mean considering the Oracle basically admits he made them up to stop delay troll Belkar I don't think what he wanted to say about V has any more substance than Obi-Wan's "Darth Vader killed your father". Philosophical speaking V as she existed to that point ceased to exist (or "died") when he made the pact with the fiends. When Windstriker having to stay home Counts this couts too.

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-17, 04:07 PM
For EnderDwarf: For future reference, the elf is named Vaarsuvius (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html)

The general antipathy between Belkar and Vaarsuvius isn't deep enough to prevent Vaarsuvius from catching Belkar when he falls/jumps overboard from the Mechane at Durkula's bidding.

Near the end of Blood Runs In the Family, Vaarsuvius sits down with Roy and asks how to make amends for the horrific thing that happened due to harnessing the powers of evil and running amok with them for a while.

As Rich's voice Roy has commented now and again, intentions matter. V is trying to work back toward the original Neutral.