PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best FS for versatile weapon?

ZenBear
2016-02-03, 04:26 PM
I'm running a dwarf EK in my next game and want to use a battle axe 2-handed but have a hand free for spell components and the occasional grapple. What FS should I take for that?

Corran
2016-02-03, 04:31 PM
Defense. The one that gives you +1 AC.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-05, 07:46 AM
If you don't mind not being able to use it in grapple, you can also use greataxe...you can hold it in one hand, you just need both hands to attack. It also explicitly works with spellcasting.

With Dueling FS, it's better to use the axe one-handed (1d8+2 is better then 1d10), otherwise, I second Defense, it will help you all the time instead of only when you hold the weapon in a specific way.

DanyBallon
2016-02-05, 07:59 AM
Instead of taking Defensive, if you believe that you'll have to use range weapon from time to time, by taking archery you can offset a lower Dex modifier.

randomodo
2016-02-05, 08:56 AM
I'd agree with those recommending Defense over Archery. You're a fighter; you're going to have things attacking you quite a lot. Yes, the Archery style will help offset a low dex (if you've got a low dex) on those occasions when you're using a bow. But in the majority of campaigns, you'll have things trying to poke holes in you far more frequently than you're likely to want to use a bow, and that +1 to AC helps a great deal (especially if you're shieldless).

If you were going Battlemaster instead of EK, I think archery is a more viable option.

DanyBallon
2016-02-05, 09:59 AM
I'd agree with those recommending Defense over Archery. You're a fighter; you're going to have things attacking you quite a lot. Yes, the Archery style will help offset a low dex (if you've got a low dex) on those occasions when you're using a box. But in the majority of campaigns, you'll have things trying to poke holes in you far more frequently than you're likely to want to use a bow, and that +1 to AC helps a great deal (especially if you're shieldless).

If you were going Battlemaster instead of EK, I think archery is a more viable option.

A versatile weapon user doing front line duty, won't need much of its Dex as he will be wearing a set of the heaviest armor available. Sure he will be more than often in melee, but he wil easily have an AC of 16 or better, which is pretty decent, versatile weapons let you use a shield when needed. Also, wearing an heavy armor if you use the emcumbrances rules will definitaly means that you'll be much slower, and will take more time to reach melee, or won't be able to pursue an escaping foe. Archery come in play in those occasion. Also it add versatility to the character.

A champion can afford to get both.
A EK is best served with it's cantrip so Defense is the better choice.
A BM will benefit from archery

RickAllison
2016-02-05, 11:29 PM
If you would really like to be able to make it feel like a Versatile weapon build, talk with your DM about having a custom shield forged; specifically one that has the same stats, but that can be removed with a bonus action or as a free maneuver. (S)he might very well find that reasonable (you still have to take a full action to don it anyway), but it would let you drop your shield whenever you decided to go two-handed.

Also, custom-forged equipment doesn't come up as often as it should :smallwink:

JackPhoenix
2016-02-07, 07:53 AM
If you would really like to be able to make it feel like a Versatile weapon build, talk with your DM about having a custom shield forged; specifically one that has the same stats, but that can be removed with a bonus action or as a free maneuver. (S)he might very well find that reasonable (you still have to take a full action to don it anyway), but it would let you drop your shield whenever you decided to go two-handed.

I actually did something like that, I gave the paladin in my game a round centergrip shield instead of the usual strapped one. You can equip it as a weapon, instead of an action, but it can be disarmed, unlike the default version. It was a reward from a collector the characters have saved from a cult, it was mentioned it's unusual design, because it's from a different continent...also, it's covered with dragon scales.

Petrocorus
2016-02-07, 09:39 AM

Or you can ask your DM to reintroduce the buckler. Only +1 to AC but without actually taking the hand.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-07, 09:06 PM
Or you can ask your DM to reintroduce the buckler. Only +1 to AC but without actually taking the hand.

Which is funny, given that you actually hold buckler in your hand instead of strapping it to your arm. But it's not like D&D was that great with terminology... (bastard swords, longswords and two-handed falchions, I'm looking at you)

Foxhound438
2016-02-07, 10:02 PM
Dueling FS, do more damage with one hand than you would with 2 hands and the 2 hander fs.

(being 4.5+2+str ~ 11.5 dueling vs 6.3+str ~ 11.3 gwfs)