PDA

View Full Version : Soul Collecting

Adalid
2016-02-03, 07:23 PM
Hello Gianttip, I'm currently in need of a device that can hold multiple souls, I know of thinuan and a dagger that sends anyone it kills to some god but I cant use it. As far as thinuan, I need something that would let me hold multiple at the same time. It can be from any universe or fictional tale. Basically I owe death 1000 souls (there's a story and it involves a crit when i prayed for it the most). My dm ruled that if I use thinuan I have to drop them off one by one which as you can tell would take some time with 1000. Anything will help.

Werephilosopher
2016-02-03, 07:39 PM
What level are you, and what spells are available to you? Lesser planar binding can bind ghosteaters (Ghostwalk), planar binding can bind solamiths (MMV), and greater planar binding can bind kalaraqs (SoS). All of these creatures can devour souls and store them.

Flickerdart
2016-02-03, 07:44 PM
A captive demilich (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm) can collect up to eight souls and store them for a day.

Adalid
2016-02-03, 07:44 PM
Sorry should have made that clear, I'm level 15 gish type. Have access to wizard 7ths.

Adalid
2016-02-03, 07:48 PM
I like the captive demilich idea, not sure how id get it but I'm sure there's a way

Adalid
2016-02-03, 07:50 PM
What level are you, and what spells are available to you? Lesser planar binding can bind ghosteaters (Ghostwalk), planar binding can bind solamiths (MMV), and greater planar binding can bind kalaraqs (SoS). All of these creatures can devour souls and store them.

Thank you the reply as well, gonna look into them all.

Werephilosopher
2016-02-04, 04:04 PM
...wait, you owe souls to "Death"? Why do you need to store them? Just kill 1000 dudes, their souls should go to him anyway.

Alex12
2016-02-04, 10:06 PM
Fictional soul-storing devices?
Elder Scrolls has Soul Gems, where you cast a certain spell on an enemy, and then if you kill them before that spell wears off, and you have a soul gem of sufficient capacity to hold the soul, it captures the soul (stronger creatures require bigger, more expensive gems). It is entirely possible in that game to put the spell on a weapon that applies it automatically on anyone you hit.

Alternately, thinuan traps the soul of anyone who dies while touching the stuff. Figure out how small you can make it and still have souls captured, then make a bunch of small chunks of the stuff coated with something sticky so you can throw it at people, then kill them. Basically, don't have 1 thinuan weapon, get like 20 chunks of the stuff.

Alternately alternately, Pathfinder has Cacodaemons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/daemons/cacodaemon) that can, once per day, eat the soul of something that died in the past minute and turn it into a crystallized soul. If you can work out a way to get a bunch of them, that might work. Or if you can find a Devourer and make a deal with the thing.

Triple alternately, you might be able to fudge BoVD's sacrifice rules, or otherwise just come up with a specific ritual or something to send the souls to Death or wherever. Say that if you perform X ritual over the course of say 10 minutes and then kill a willing or helpless sentient, the soul is credited to you.

How long do you have before Death comes to collect? And how long does it take to drop off those souls? Any restrictions on type of souls (if no, find a chicken-infested commoner and you're set)? Also, are you really sure it's Death and not, say, any of the various fiends and suchlike that would love to trick a mortal into giving them a bunch of souls for minimal effort on their part?