PDA

View Full Version : How long (in game time) should it take to draw symbols of varying sizes?

MonkeySage
2016-02-03, 10:01 PM
Scenario: A character uses symbols(and only symbols)to cast spells. Bigger symbols create bigger effects, and higher spell levels involve more complex symbols.

Assuming they don't have the symbols prepared in advance, how long in game time should it take them to draw symbols of varying sizes and complexities?

kraftcheese
2016-02-03, 10:44 PM
Scenario: A character uses symbols(and only symbols)to cast spells. Bigger symbols create bigger effects, and higher spell levels involve more complex symbols.

Assuming they don't have the symbols prepared in advance, how long in game time should it take them to draw symbols of varying sizes and complexities?

I guess its going to depend on just how complex a "complex" symbol is, how practised they are at "writing" them, and also whether they're literally inscribing them on a surface or just signing them in the air.

Is this something that's going to give them an advantage over other spellcasters in-game to make up for the time tradeoff? Also, what system you running the game in?

OldTrees1
2016-02-03, 11:28 PM
Versimiriltude answer
Depends on:
Complexity
Size(different sizes require different joints or even moving around so this is non linear)
Required Precision(tool assisted?)
Medium being drawn through(tracing a symbol with your finger is easier than dragging a magical node through the aether in a symbol path or plowing a field)
Distraction

Balance answer
The spontaneity of the casting would be a good starting point (assuming the system you are playing in has spontaneous casting). Then count the advantages they retain over the spontaneous casters. You might be implying they can know more spells and might even get more spells per day. That would be what you would be trying to balance.

Unfortunately there are many spells where casting time is not a cost. Thus increased casting time also would not be a cost unless the increase were drastic.

My suggestion is to severely restrict the number of spells they can know so that you can tailor the casting times based upon the spells in question.

MonkeySage
2016-02-03, 11:31 PM
It's sort of related to homebrew in a pathfinder setting, but since I was talking about time, I was mostly just looking for suggestions in that regard; however, in that setting, symbols are the root of magic- literally the source code of the universe. All other components are extraneous cultural things, superstitious beliefs of primitive civilizations. If other casting classes exist, they all rely on these symbols even if they use other components. The same symbols are used regardless of where you go in the universe.

JNAProductions
2016-02-03, 11:33 PM
Then just refluff existing mechanics. Wizards pull out pages of pre-drawn symbols, sorcerers draw symbols in the air in glowing runes, warlocks emit symbols granted to them by patrons, etc. etc.

MonkeySage
2016-02-04, 12:20 AM
Well it can be done a number of different ways; Casters can either tattoo them on their bodies, carry around a card deck of them or a book, use a computer program, a laser projection, anything. This was specifically asking how much game time they may take if they draw them by hand in combat, or some other time sensitive situation.

OldTrees1
2016-02-04, 12:43 AM
Well it can be done a number of different ways; Casters can either tattoo them on their bodies, carry around a card deck of them or a book, use a computer program, a laser projection, anything. This was specifically asking how much game time they may take if they draw them by hand in combat, or some other time sensitive situation.

Well it would depend on the symbol.

____
|_|
|_|_|

Takes me roughly 4 seconds to draw in the air with my finger at 1ft wide with low precision even after some practice. If I had to draw straight then I would take 6 seconds. If I had to draw precise lengths then it would take about 8 seconds. More complex symbols would take longer.

TheYell
2016-02-04, 02:33 AM
are you suggesting they could draw more than one symbol -- cause more than one effect-- per round?

if you invent a scale where you assign timing to spell symbols the only wrong answer is making powerful symbols too easy, though you're likely to hear you make the good ones too hard.

Elxir_Breauer
2016-02-06, 08:18 AM
Having more information on exactly what magic system we're dealing with would be extremely useful. Are you basing this on Spheres of Power or Vancian (as in, standard 3.5/Pathfinder) or another system entirely? Knowing this would give us far better clues as to how to help out.

MonkeySage
2016-02-06, 03:07 PM
Casters have a Memory Pool, MP, which they use to activate symbols after they've drawn them; that part is basically instantaneous or continuous. The drawing part takes up different amounts of time, presumably based on the power, complexity, and size of the symbol itself. It could be as simple as drawing Theta onto a card, or as big and complex as John Dee's Sigilum dei Aemeth. Purpose might be part of size determination, for example if the caster wants to create a protective barrier around a star ship it might involve a very big symbol.