PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform Smash 4: The Dragon and the Witch have arrived.

Zevox
2016-02-03, 10:57 PM
Well, the final DLC for Super Smash Brothers 4 has at least been released: Fire Emblem Fates protagonist Corrin and the Umbra Witch Bayonetta are now available!

I've tinkered with both in training mode, and played some matches online with Bayonetta. My impression: oh my god Witch Time is amazing! Well, I should clarify first that it doesn't activate on just any dodge she does - it's a special move, her down special, and she doesn't dodge very far when she does it. I'd bet that frame-data wise it's not as good for evading attacks as normal dodges, but if so, it's not actually that noticeable at first glance, as so far at least I haven't noticed any unexpected periods of vulnerability or surprising recovery time. But if you land it, oh god. Free combo of your choice or charged smash attack, and boy does that hurt. Especially since Bayonetta's side and up smashes are both pretty potent kill moves - I haven't tested them precisely, but they seem to KO average weight characters solidly at just over 100%. Which means if your opponent's damage is at all into usual kill ranges and you land Witch Time, just half-charge or so an up smash and they're dead (barring a stage with a particularly high ceiling). It's the ultimate punish to predictable, or even just overly-aggressive, opponents.

I do notice her having some recovery problems, though not as bad as Cloud (I think). Her up special just doesn't cover great vertical distance like most. She does get a touch more height off her side special (and she can do both in the same jump - she actually has no move that puts her into free fall!), but not a lot. Depending on the stage though she can wall jump to help, though I'm quite bad at that at this point personally.

Corrin I haven't actually used in a fight yet, but my impressions from training mode and playing against him are that he's pretty good. His normals seem good all around, and his neutral special is a combination charge shot/stun gun/melee attack (the melee attack happens right after the shot is fired), and seems pretty darn good. I think he has some trouble killing, but could be wrong. His side special is an interesting one - on the ground he hops up, but in the air it's an attack where his arm turns into a spike angled down and forward. The interesting part being that if it hits the ground, it gets stuck there, and from that state he can go into this special flying kick attack that seems quite strong. The weirdest thing I noticed is that his back air actually moves him forward when he does it - it's a thrust behind him with his wings.

The most disappointing thing about him? His down special is a counter :smallsigh: . So, that makes every Fire Emblem character except Robin who has that. Still, he's otherwise pretty cool and unique, and I look forward to playing him... just as soon as I start wanting some variety again after playing the hell out of Bayonetta. :smallbiggrin: