PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Paladin Spell for pulling aggro PEACH

Ghost Dragon
2016-02-04, 12:54 AM
Hey ya'll.

I was hoping to offer a player of mine a Paladin spell that is roughly equal to the Battle Masters Goading Attack Maneuver to help with protecting his friends. Command and Compelled Duel are ok, but are not quite the feel of what I want, hence basing it of the above Maneuver.

Please PEACH :) (Will keep all revisions as change log)

Zealous Strikes
1st level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: 1 round

This spell causes enemies to attack you instead of your allies. When you make a melee attack against a creature, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you until the start of your next turn.

Zealous Smite
1st level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 30 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
The next time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your attack deals an extra 1d4 psychic damage to the target, and up to two additional targets within 30 feet of you. Additionally, if the targets are creatures, they must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the targets have disadvantage on all attack rolls against creatures other than you until the spell ends. At the end of each of its turns, a target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of you.

sajro
2016-02-04, 08:36 AM
I feel like it is maybe a bit too weak. Gloading Attack does the same as you said, but it also adds additional damage to the roll.

I would consider changing it to function more like Searing Smite.
Casting time: 1 Bonus action

The next attack you make with a melee weapon during the spells duration deal an extra 1d6 damage of your weapons type. And causes the target to be taunted by you. At the beginning of each of the targets turns until the spell ends, the target makes a Wisdom Saving Throw. On a failed save it have disadvantage on attack rolls against characters other than you, until the beginning of its next turn. On a succes the spell ends.
At higher levels:
By expending a 2nd level or higher slot the initial damage increases by 1d6 per spell level above 1st.

Ghost Dragon
2016-02-04, 07:03 PM
I feel like it is maybe a bit too weak. Gloading Attack does the same as you said, but it also adds additional damage to the roll.

I would consider changing it to function more like Searing Smite.
Casting time: 1 Bonus action

The next attack you make with a melee weapon during the spells duration deal an extra 1d6 damage of your weapons type. And causes the target to be taunted by you. At the beginning of each of the targets turns until the spell ends, the target makes a Wisdom Saving Throw. On a failed save it have disadvantage on attack rolls against characters other than you, until the beginning of its next turn. On a succes the spell ends.
At higher levels:
By expending a 2nd level or higher slot the initial damage increases by 1d6 per spell level above 1st.

Thanks for the feedback,

I hear what you are saying, and at 2nd-4th levels it probably is a bit weak, but I wrote it so that all attacks made for one round impose the spells effects, so at 5th and beyond two swings means two bad guys effected (that's why wording states "When you make a melee attack", not "hit with a melee attack" ensuring whether you hit or miss the target is affected). This also allows for any opportunity attack during the next round to also effect another bad guy.
This is more like goading attack in that goading attack can be imposed as many times during your turn as you wish (albeit expending dice to do it) and the above version only allows for one target (something that Compelled Duel covers already)....

What do you think?

sajro
2016-02-04, 07:33 PM
Hmmm, you do have an excelent point. I do however still think that it is rather weak. I think it is okay for a fighter paladin multiclass to get the extra attacks from fighter. But on a full paladin I don't think it is worth it. So I think a point would be to make it viable on a paladin. And a spellslot to affect 2 creatures just doesn't feel like is enough.

One option might be to change it so that the duration scales with spellslot used? 1 round for 1st, 2 rounds for 2nd and so on?
I actualy think that changing it to have a duration of 1 minute wouldn't be that bad as in every attack made for one minute imposes the "taunt" effect, ofcourse with the save. This does make it able to surpass Compelled duel yet to do that it requires that the targets fail 10 times as many saves.
But maybe this makes it too strong if you multiclass?

Ghost Dragon
2016-02-04, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, you do have an excelent point. I do however still think that it is rather weak. I think it is okay for a fighter paladin multiclass to get the extra attacks from fighter. But on a full paladin I don't think it is worth it. So I think a point would be to make it viable on a paladin. And a spellslot to affect 2 creatures just doesn't feel like is enough.

One option might be to change it so that the duration scales with spellslot used? 1 round for 1st, 2 rounds for 2nd and so on?
I actualy think that changing it to have a duration of 1 minute wouldn't be that bad as in every attack made for one minute imposes the "taunt" effect, ofcourse with the save. This does make it able to surpass Compelled duel yet to do that it requires that the targets fail 10 times as many saves.
But maybe this makes it too strong if you multiclass?

You make good points all, so I followed your first advice and made it a smite style spell that has reduced extra damage that effects more than one target which then has save or disadvantage. Modelled off Wrathful Smite, with the higher levels bit and save mechanic from hold person.

I think it is still different from Compelled Duel as CD has a movement restriction and the save every turn in that spell affects only the movement part, the disadvantage part just remains on as long as you just fight that creature, where as my new spell they have a chance of ending the disadvantage at the end of each turn if they pass a save.

Thoughts?

sajro
2016-02-05, 07:47 AM
The new spell seems much more useful. And I like how higher level slots works.

Ghost Dragon
2016-02-05, 08:30 PM
The new spell seems much more useful. And I like how higher level slots works.

Awesome, thanks for the help Sajro, I assume that also means you think it is now balanced yes? Any other comments anyone else has are most welcome too.