PDA

View Full Version : Project Magi-Tech World Help

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-02-04, 12:27 PM
I'm looking to make my own magic-tech world for a Final Fantasy/D&D type homebrew system I'm putting together.

Main setting will have humans (medium size), goblins (small size), hobgoblins (large size), an array of beasts, and Elementals (all sorts of them).

Elementals may not have sexes, but they do have genders.

Outsiders will be an option, outsiders are from other worlds. Outsiders include Fey (Elves/Gnomes/fey beasts), Titans (Giants/Gargantuan Beasts), and Fiend/Celestials (Devils and Gods).

Elementals will be native to the base world and the force that keeps the other BIG 3 in check. However that isn't to say they are all friendly or even tolerant of the inhabitants of their world.

Many other creatures will all be in the system, just not in the main setting.

The three sentient races of the world (Humans, Goblins, and Hobgoblins) have small cities all over but can't (or won't) have bigger cities as the elementals keep them in check.

Sometimes cities get in the way when two elements fight each other... Some big cities do exist but they typically aren't easy to find and it is said each Elder elemental has their own city that they protect (this has yet to be proven to the world).

Elder Elementals are not to be messed with, they just win.

Nameless the Elder Earth Elemental.

Catherine the Elder Fire Elemental

Isabella the Elder Water Elemental

Julius the Elder Air Elemental

The magic-tech was originally made as a prison for Elementals that attacked humanoids and goblinoids. Using a magical ritual they were able to junction an elemental to an item. However it was found out that the more the item or machine was use, the stronger the elemental became. The ritual was changed to stop this and now both versions are used.

Elementals may willingly junction themselves to an item or machine. Typically for a set amount of time before they get their freedom (this is written in the item). However, Elementals that break laws or are generally a pain in the ads are forcefully junctioned in an item or machine that doesn't allow them to grow in power.

I will be using this world with the system in making but I would also like to use this with 3e4e5e D&D and any other system I pick up in the future.

Any help or direction would be appreciated :)

avr
2016-02-06, 05:53 AM
OK; so what can/do people do with elemental-powered items? Are we talking magic swords here, or magic artillery, trains, airships, infrastructure, or even walking cities? Magitech covers a lot potentially.

Xuc Xac
2016-02-07, 12:44 PM
I would suggest making the item binding of the "grow in power" type by default. The limiter that locks them down and doesn't allow growth should be an add-on that is built into the item (and which can be intentionally or accidentally disabled as a plot device).

Flashy
2016-02-07, 11:42 PM
I've found that one of the most important questions to ask yourself when designing a magitech world is why you need the tech part of the magitech. Is it just the application of magic to the big problems of developed society (using magic to solve problems of communication, transportation, defense, etc) or is there something inherent to the magic that needs the technology to function? Once you start to get a feel for this you can approach other questions from a much more secure place.

Psilulz
2016-02-09, 04:56 AM
Something to consider would be the scale of magitech in your world, both how common such items are and the size of such projects. Are they limited to large airships, or the reactor that powers a town? Or are they found in everyday appliances, such as a fire elemental stove, or a wind elemental fan? What sort of military/ combat use do such devices see?
Do any of the outsiders have access to magitech as well?