PDA

View Full Version : Conceptual help and balancing

QuickLyRaiNbow
2016-02-04, 01:52 PM
So I'm working on a new character class for a game I've got people in at the moment. The intent is a sort of Warmage/lock using some different systems, loosely based on the Everquest Wizard. I know blasting casters aren't strictly optimal, but this is an archetype my group has a lot of interest in.

I'm looking at fusing the Eldritch Blast feature of Warlocks with an Arcane Swordsage-esque maneuver progression, using spells drawn from primarily the Druid and Sorc/Wiz spell lists. Those spells generally come in two flavors; first, lower-damage AE spells featuring some sort of utility, second, teleportation- or force-focused utility spells. A cross-section might include slide, dimension door, dispel magic*, blast of force, earth reaver, resilient sphere and shatter. The Eldritch Blast feature will deal electric, fire or cold damage at the user's discretion, with different shapes and styles available. The ability will have features triggered by critical hits.

*Available to every caster in this campaign

My questions to you, the community, are the following.

First, what shapes would be useful? By default, it's a bolt; no save, ranged touch attack required. There will definitely be a column or pillar, with a Reflex save and no RTA and thus no crit chance. There will also be a burst centered on the caster. I'd generally like to steer clear of cones, chain effects or Fireball-style bursts, and would prefer to keep the RTA.

Second, since I'm going up to 9th level spells (though the campaign will almost certainly not get that far) what sort of refresh mechanic might be appropriate? This is a group that generally plays D and D the quote-unquote correct way envisioned by the designers, and I'm balancing the class around the players. One of the signature abilities of the EQ Wizard that I'd like to use is the spell/Alternate Ability Harvest, which restores a large amount of mana and stuns the caster for a long time.

Any suggestions you all have would be welcomed, including comments that don't directly relate to the questions.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2016-02-04, 01:56 PM
I realize that perhaps a post addressing the Everquest Wizard, which is generally what the class is based on, is appropriate. EQ Wizards are blasters. They have a few self-only buffs, a few utility spells of moderate use, and a lot of damage. Most of it is single target, though there are also AE column effects and point-blank AE spells. Wizards also get the largest number of self and group teleportation spells, though these are less strategically and tactically useful than the 3.5 equivalents and are mostly useful logistically.