PDA

View Full Version : Being covered in oil and taking fire damage (how lude!)

Kevingway
2016-02-04, 02:36 PM
So, another question related to fire: let's say you get splashed with oil and we know that it takes 1 minute for the oil to "dry." If you take any fire damage before that minute, you take an extra 5 fire damage from the oil; so if someone were to, say, hit you multiple times before this minute expiration with a source of fire damage, would you continue to take 5 extra damage for every attack?

One part of me says not likely, the other part of me says, "Well, the oil technically hasn't gone away and could still continue to serve as a catalyst for continuing exposure to fire."

Thoughts?

Douche
2016-02-04, 02:46 PM
Are we talkin' about olive oil?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-04, 03:06 PM
It's spelled 'lewd', darling.

I'd argue that the RAW seems to follow the same logic as for poisons, i.e. you can only get the damage once, but you don't have to hit first time; you can make the attack at any time during that minute. Basically, I'd consider a person whose oil covering has been burned away to be 'dry'.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-04, 03:18 PM
It's spelled 'lewd', darling.

I'd argue that the RAW seems to follow the same logic as for poisons, i.e. you can only get the damage once, but you don't have to hit first time; you can make the attack at any time during that minute. Basically, I'd consider a person whose oil covering has been burned away to be 'dry'.
Fire spell will nit set it on fire because all the fire spells I read say the fire ignit anything flammable unless it is being worn or held

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-04, 04:09 PM
Fire spell will nit set it on fire because all the fire spells I read say the fire ignit anything flammable unless it is being worn or held

Aside from the fact that an oil covering is obviously not being worn or carried, I never actually said a "fire spell" would set it on fire.

Although for the record, I would certainly allow any spell dealing fire damage to light oil, and probably non-damaging spells like Druidcraft as well.

Madbox
2016-02-04, 05:28 PM

If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil
So sayeth the entry for oil in the mighty tome referred to as the Player's Handbook. So yes, spells will ignite it if they cause fire damage. The target is not wearing or holding the oil, they are doused in it, and probably surrounded by a puddle of it too.

mgshamster
2016-02-04, 05:55 PM

I'd argue that if you're covered in oil, you are most certainly wearing it. :)

Kevingway
2016-02-05, 12:58 AM
Silly fire spell argument aside, RAW doesn't really seem to say one way or the other.

If the target takes any fire damage before the oil
dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5
fire damage from the burning oil.

Then we have the ending, which might spell out some things for us.

You can also pour a
flask of oil on the ground to cover a 5-foot-square area,
provided that the surface is level. If lit, the oil burns for
2 rounds and deals 5 fire damage to any creature that
enters the area or ends its turn in the area. A creature
can take this damage only once per turn

While the "once per turn" bit may only apply to what's on the ground, I kind of think that it could generally apply to being covered in oil and taking fire damage, as well.

Figured I'd explain my reasoning in basing the question. Also, I was tired... thanks for luding up my brain. :P