PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some help designing a class feature

Trum4n1208
2016-02-04, 03:52 PM
Howdy all,

A friend and I are going to be running a 5E game soon, mostly played straight to the rules but with some minor changes. Right now, I'm working on changing some features on the Ranger. I've already decided on turning Hunter's Mark into a leveling cantrip; either way, the effects only work if applied to an animal or a monster, not a humanoid, but we wanted to cement their status as the party monster fighter. To that end, I had the idea of them starting with a kind of 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find and Kill Them,' something that would contain knowledge on monsters, how to track them, their habits, and ultimately how to take them out. This would give the ranger bonuses to tracking and slight damage bonuses against whatever is in the book. I figure they get it at 3rd level, make the effects applicable only if they have it on hand, and make it extremely expensive to replace if lost. The idea is to make the Ranger a better fighter against non-humanoids, something more like a Witcher or something.

My issue now, of course, is to take this from the realm of planning and theory into practice. How would this work? how would it level?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Kane0
2016-02-04, 04:05 PM
Would the ranger in my sig help as a yardstick?

Talamare
2016-02-04, 04:42 PM
Don't touch Hunter's Mark, it will have ripple effects onto Paladin and Bard.

If all you really want is for Rangers to be amazing at killing Beasts, or whatever their Favored Enemy is I suggest...

New Hunter's Prey Option
Foe Hunter, When you hit your Favored Enemy with a Weapon Attack, the creature takes an extra 1d12 damage. You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.

CantigThimble
2016-02-04, 04:46 PM
I don't really understand why they need the manual as a feature when they already have Favored Enemy helping them track monsters and telling them their weaknesses.

Trum4n1208
2016-02-04, 04:49 PM
Don't touch Hunter's Mark, it will have ripple effects onto Paladin and Bard.

If all you really want is for Rangers to be amazing at killing Beasts, or whatever their Favored Enemy is I suggest...

New Hunter's Prey Option
Foe Hunter, When you hit your Favored Enemy with a Weapon Attack, the creature takes an extra 1d12 damage. You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.

Very well, Hunter's Mark issue noted. As for the Favored Enemy issue, I'd prefer to avoid the classic Favored Enemy issue of making the players have to fight the same creatures again and again in order to allow the ranger to shine.

Kane0, I like a lot of those deals. Mind if I poach a little bit?

Kane0
2016-02-04, 05:02 PM
By all means, poach and use whatever you like. It was made to be used, and feedback is encouraged :smallsmile: