PDA

View Full Version : Going Archtype Scout as Rogue.

Greenfeuer
2016-02-04, 06:23 PM
Hey there people! I just wanted to know if it would be bad or unbalanced to go fighter archtype Scout as Rogue. Due to the idear that Assassin and Thief don't fit my character or using magic. The archtype Scout is from Unearthed Arcane btw.

Its a way for me to go higher then two levels in rogue and still feel I actually stick to my character.

I have looked at all alternatives. All I wanna know is if its fair going that route instead of Assassin.

I will be going Spell-less Ranger for four levels aswell due to favored enemy and more :)

Links: http://www.adnd3egame.com/documents/ranger%20variant.pdf

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf

Greenfeuer
2016-02-04, 06:27 PM
It would fit a nature focused rogue too.

CantigThimble
2016-02-04, 06:32 PM
I think it would be overpowered. Rogues don't get much combat benefit from their archetype, they mostly rely on primary class abilities. Fighters get a lot of combat power from their archetype. As a result fighter archetypes are just stronger than rogue archetypes. You'd be better off taking the thief archetype and asking your DM to swap fast hands and use magic device for some ranger utility abilities like natural explorer and land stride or something.

Edit: I think thief works really well because the climbing, jumping, and supreme sneak work great for a scout type character. Just fast hands and use magic device are a little out of place.

Greenfeuer
2016-02-04, 06:40 PM
The assassin one is very powerfull too. And its a way to make a more nature focused rogue. Favored enemy and such I can get from Ranger.

Greenfeuer
2016-02-04, 06:41 PM
I don't plan to go more then 4-8 levels rogue. Probably only 4, rest is spell-less ranger.

Flashy
2016-02-04, 06:46 PM
Three skills, combat superiority, and natural explorer are waaaaay too much as a Rogue 3 feature. Have you considered either the Mastermind or Swashbuckler archetypes from SCAG? Either of those could be easily refluffed to fit your needs.

CantigThimble
2016-02-04, 06:51 PM
Assassin doesn't add much combat power at all. Getting total surprise on enemies is really hard, most of the time you won't get that more than once per session in my experience. Scout gives you reliable damage and defense constantly.

Greenfeuer
2016-02-05, 02:08 AM
Hrmm. Will it really be that unbalanced with only four levels in scout/rogue? And ia there way to make it more balanced?

Swashbuckler is melee focused and mastermind don't my characters personality that much at all :/ - Thanks for the headsup tho :)

Dralnu
2016-02-05, 02:39 AM
I think it's fine, actually. I believe the base Fighter and Rogue are balanced with each other, or at least that's the intent.

I disagree with the above opinion that the Fighter subclasses are meant to be more powerful than Rogue. Compare Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster: are they not roughly the same power level? I would say they definitely are similar and work off the same template.

If I was DM'ing I'd allow it, absolutely.

Flashy
2016-02-05, 04:17 AM
I disagree with the above opinion that the Fighter subclasses are meant to be more powerful than Rogue. Compare Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster: are they not roughly the same power level? I would say they definitely are similar and work off the same template.

I'm mostly iffy about it because scout stacks an unusually large number of features for either fighter 3 or rogue 3 in order to try to replicate some of the feel of both rogue and ranger. It's already favorable compared to say Battlemaster, and attaching all those skills and combat options to a rogue seems like potentially questionable balance. If it was just the combat superiority I think it'd probably be fine, but since it's combat superiority and three skills and natural explorer I'm pretty dubious about how it stacks up compared to other 3rd level options.

ZenBear
2016-02-05, 07:00 AM
I Homebrewed a Ranger subclass on the Rogue chassis for a player of mine. I used Assassin base and replaced the disguise features with two Ranger features (Land Stride and Ambush iirc, afb) and it works quite well. If you're only going 4 levels of Rogue, Assassin will get ample mileage and it fits a Ranger for the purpose of hunting to ensure a kill with the first shot. You could also go Rogue/Assassin 4, Fighter/Scout 4, Spell-less Ranger 12, but I think the Scout archetype abilities overlap with Spell-less Ranger anyway so why bother? You could do Rogue 2-4 for Cunning Action and SA/Assassinate, then Scout the rest of the way.