PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for Ideas for Fantasy Game Set During the Roman Empire/Republic

Aeradom
2016-02-04, 07:41 PM
I have an idea for a campaign, but it could use some fleshing out and maybe even focus and that's where I'm hoping you all could help. So let's get to it:

As the title insinuates, the basic nutshell of this idea is that gradually (and/or violently) an event occurs that brings magic and strange new creatures into the world of the Rome. Now, what I'm thinking I may do and would be the most fun for the players, is if it starts gradual and then becomes violent. My idea was that there was basically a plane of reality parallel to the world the story start out, and there were "leaks" that were bringing in various magical creatures. As well, these leaks were also affecting the inhabitants of the world by embuing people with magical power (thus how magic is introduced to the world). At first it be very limited; because the barrier seperating the two worlds is still quite strong.

In this world is where I think I'll have the game start out . It'll give the players time to adjust and learn about the world as well as possibly get attached. And then, after they have a few levels under their belt, it happens. "Something" (haven't determined what yet) causes the barriers to begin to fall and causing all sorts of magical creatures to come in. Perhaps the first time the barrier comes down, there's a Genghis Khan like Orc invasion that occurs and the Republic/Empire has to pull together a response as quickly as possible. Perhaps the party itself is in charge of delaying these orcs for as long possible until a Legion can come up and respond to the threat.

In any case... that's what I got going right now, and at this time, I'm just curious what ideas you all may have.

And if anyone is familiar with any media sources (books, games, movies) that incorporate fantasy elements into the Roman World (or Roman like era) I'd also be appreciative for that as well.

JoeJ
2016-02-05, 12:11 AM
GURPS Fantasy (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/fantasy/) has a magic Roman empire setting in the back, and there's also GURPS Imperial Rome (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/ImperialRome/), which has a more realistic/historic approach (although with some fantasy).

2e AD&D had the Glory of Rome (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16918/HR5-The-Glory-of-Rome-Campaign-Sourcebook-2e?it=1&filters=0_0_44830_0_0) historical campaign sourcebook, and there's the Eternal Rome (http://greenroninstore.com/collections/pdfs/products/eternal-rome-pdf) sourcebook for D&D 3.5.

Aeradom
2016-02-05, 01:54 AM
GURPS Fantasy (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/fantasy/) has a magic Roman empire setting in the back, and there's also GURPS Imperial Rome (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/ImperialRome/), which has a more realistic/historic approach (although with some fantasy).

2e AD&D had the Glory of Rome (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16918/HR5-The-Glory-of-Rome-Campaign-Sourcebook-2e?it=1&filters=0_0_44830_0_0) historical campaign sourcebook, and there's the Eternal Rome (http://greenroninstore.com/collections/pdfs/products/eternal-rome-pdf) sourcebook for D&D 3.5.

Thanks, I'll certainly make sure to check those out. I am curious, are those all assuming the world built around magic and fantasy creatures existing, or does any have them burst onto the scene?

TheYell
2016-02-05, 05:46 AM
Rome was in contact and sometimes alliance with druidic Celts so it might not be out of line for them to appear as auxiliaries.

There'S a nonfiction book called Imperial Roman Army that tells everything you could want to know about Roman military life and organization.

i believe librovox.com has the commentaries of julius caesar as an audiobook for free download.

SirAshley
2016-02-05, 08:53 AM
A good setting to look into for the kind of feel it sounds like you're going for is the Old World of Darkness Werewolf the Apocalypse setting. The setting is based upon the spiritual world and the material world being separated by a barrier, with the Garou [werewolves] being able to move back and forth between the barrier. In certain places, the barrier is thin, in others, nearly impassible. It is set in a modern-ish setting, think the late 80s through the 90s, but just looking through the chapter on how the Umbra works could serve as some inspiration.

Telonius
2016-02-05, 09:21 AM
Harry Turtledove wrote a series called the Videssos Cycle, starting with The Misplaced Legion, that basically dropped a Roman Legion into a fantasy world. You might get some inspiration from that. (Or massive headaches. It is Turtledove, and I never made it past the first half of the first book).

Also - and this is important - which Rome we talking about here? Early Republic, Julius/Augustus, Five Good Emperors, decline?

JoeJ
2016-02-05, 12:15 PM
Thanks, I'll certainly make sure to check those out. I am curious, are those all assuming the world built around magic and fantasy creatures existing, or does any have them burst onto the scene?

The magic in each case is assumed to just exist, inspired by actual Roman magical beliefs and practices. I don't know of any published setting that is about the sudden appearance of magic in a previously nonmagical ancient Rome.

Aeradom
2016-02-05, 02:37 PM
Harry Turtledove wrote a series called the Videssos Cycle, starting with The Misplaced Legion, that basically dropped a Roman Legion into a fantasy world. You might get some inspiration from that. (Or massive headaches. It is Turtledove, and I never made it past the first half of the first book).

Also - and this is important - which Rome we talking about here? Early Republic, Julius/Augustus, Five Good Emperors, decline?

I'm actually a big fan of Turtledove from his WW2 where aliens invade book, so I actually think this be a good place to start. And as to what "Rome" we're referring to, that's a more interesting question then you might assume as I haven't quite pinned down which I want. See I have three options that I'm mulling over; 1) is around 100 BC set in waning years of the Republic in Occupied Greece, 2) Is actually an even more alternate history campaign that sees the fall of the Republic and the rise of Augustus (who will slay Zeus in that campaign to become deified) and 3) Where the Roman Empire has become corrupt and brutal and more towards the later stages where there's an uprising the players will lead/be involved with against the Empire to carve out their own homeland (like the Visigoths did if your familiar with their story). I may actually do all three sequentially, as I planned for the first one to be a low level campaign and the others potentially much higher anyways.

A good setting to look into for the kind of feel it sounds like you're going for is the Old World of Darkness Werewolf the Apocalypse setting. The setting is based upon the spiritual world and the material world being separated by a barrier, with the Garou [werewolves] being able to move back and forth between the barrier. In certain places, the barrier is thin, in others, nearly impassible. It is set in a modern-ish setting, think the late 80s through the 90s, but just looking through the chapter on how the Umbra works could serve as some inspiration.

That sounds exactly like what I was thinking. Because in my idea, there are basically two parallel world and for some reason, the barrier is starting to collapse. Perhaps the magical plane is being destroyed and basically, these are refugees (also kind of like Orcs from WoW if you are familiar with them). I'm curious with the Umbra, why does that barrier get weak in some places? That's the detail that I haven't figured out quite yet.

SirAshley
2016-02-06, 11:53 AM
That sounds exactly like what I was thinking. Because in my idea, there are basically two parallel world and for some reason, the barrier is starting to collapse. Perhaps the magical plane is being destroyed and basically, these are refugees (also kind of like Orcs from WoW if you are familiar with them). I'm curious with the Umbra, why does that barrier get weak in some places? That's the detail that I haven't figured out quite yet.

For the Werewolf setting, the Gauntlet, or barrier, gets thicker or thinner depending on how developed an area is. In large cities, the barrier is nearly impassable, because the connection with the spiritual world is so deadened by the technology and urban development. The further out in the wilderness you go, the easier it becomes to reconnect with the spiritual realm. In Werewolf, there is a spiritual entity called the Weaver, which is responsible for creation and binding the physical forms and structures of things in the physical world. This is represented by the spider webs in the spiritual world that hold these things together. The Gauntlet is made up of the Weaver's webs, separating the two realms.

For your particular setting, this system could be adapted, I would think. Perhaps the reason that the barrier between worlds has been breached is due to a member of the priestly class performing a prayer or ritual trying to summon some form of creature, or request a deity's intercession, and it worked. This priest was the first mortal to succeed in direct divine intervention, because their need was so great, their faith so pure, whatever reason you decide. Since then, there is a gaping hole in the barrier between worlds, and it grows ever wider. This would allow you to slowly introduce more and more fantastical elements to the game at a pace that you feel you and your players will be comfortable with.

sktarq
2016-02-06, 01:42 PM
Well-two ideas pop to mind

What if magic exists in the world as is but is rare and legendary. Rare oracles, monsters etc-then something breaks it wide open and the trickle builds into a stream and this causes serious social disruption etc. Then the opening can be from some long sealed portal-awakening an elder god of magic-slaying a monster whose blood contained the essence of magic (perhaps a bull for Magna Mater/Mithratic/or even a bit of Norse Flavor)

Another part could be the rise in magic from within the society as without. Family Lare cults and new religions (like say the black stone of one of the Boy Emperors-E something) could hide new magics and cloak the rise of doppelganger and charm person casting sorcerers.

Tiktakkat
2016-02-06, 03:23 PM
To a large extent, playing in Rome is just like a standard campaign, only with no plate armor. That's about it.
Technically there are also no horse collars or stirrups, but the former is generally irrelevant to PCs, and the latter is relatively rare, and mostly dealt with by banning lances and related feats.
In terms of creatures and magic, a large portion of "standard" medieval beliefs are just hopped up Greco-Roman beliefs. Indeed a considerably larger portion of the default bestiary is more directly available in a Greco-Roman setting compared to a medieval European setting.

What has more of an effect is the period.
Republican Rome has a lot more opportunities for the "standard" "gentleman adventurer" or "wandering merc/hero" concept. There are a ton of states to wander between, doing various deeds. Once the Principate sets in (Julius to Nero), the number of employers starts dropping off instantly, until by the early Empire your choices are Rome, Parthia/Persia, or Rebellion.
So if you go Imperial Rome, it is probably best to account for the PCs having a government employer, and making sure said employer remains in the Imperial favor. That or expect the PCs to be forced to become usurpers or surrender for execution. The Videssos series by Turtledove that has been mentioned has this as a key element of the storyline, along with what can happen if you wind up working for "Persia" even casually.

Berenger
2016-02-08, 07:26 PM
That's basically Urban Arcana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Arcana