PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Critique my build (and a little bit of help needed)

Shnigda
2016-02-05, 02:35 AM
Hey guys, I've been making a character that goes into Warshaper as I was pointed to the class the other day and it seemed interesting.
My aim is to do power attacks, charges and bull rushes to damage enemies (maybe combining with improved trip + shock trooper), while using a natural bite attack or tail attack from Warshaper (though I'm not 100% clear on how that works... Do I do that attack at full BAB as well as a weapon (sword) attack at full BAB? Or can I only attack with both on a full attack?)

My build so far:
NB. Feats are gained at odd levels (1,3,5,7...), Dodge is +1 vs all enemies, 5 levels must be committed to Barbarian before getting Lion Totem.

Race: Hengeyokai (Raccoon Dog)
Class: Rogue2/Fighter2/Warblade/Warshaper4 (Rogue ACF to swap sneak attack for bonus feats as DM doesn't want me sneak attacking with my next Character)
STR: 26 DEX: 14 CON: 18 INT: 14 WIS: 6 CHA: 6 (32 point buy)
Feats: Lvl1: Steadfast Determination Lvl1 Bonus: Power attack Lvl2 Bonus: Improved Bull Rush Lvl3: Combat Expertise Lvl3 Bonus: Improved Trip Lvl4 Bonus: Dungeon Crasher
Lvl5: Leap Attack Lvl7: ???? Lvl9: Shock Trooper (I can take 2 flaws on top of this if needed)
Manoeuvres: Moment of Perfect Mind, Mountain Hammer, Sudden Leap
Stance: Pearl of Black Doubt
Gold: 36000
Key skills: Balance: 5 ranks Concentration: 12 ranks Jump: 12 ranks Tumble: 6 ranks

What items would you suggest? What feats would be good/better? What should my next levels be (PrCs or base classes)? What weapon should I use (Two-handed is a must I think)?

Thanks for any suggestions! :smallsmile:

Xerlith
2016-02-05, 05:34 AM
You may want to drop Cleave, get Dungeoncrasher instead. That 4d6+twice your strength mod? Depending on how the DM rules Charging Minotaur, this can get ugly (by which I mean beatiful) fast.

As for what to do further up - More Warblade is always a good choice. :smallbiggrin:

Shnigda
2016-02-05, 08:19 AM
Thanks, didn't know about that ACF, added it into the build, can see it being quite useful!
Any ideas on other good feats for two-handed fighters would be great!
Items as well! Not sure what the best two-handed weapons are...

Troacctid
2016-02-05, 03:09 PM
The best two-handed martial weapons are greatswords (for the highest damage) and polearms (for reach). If you're not using Combat Reflexes, you probably just want the greatsword.

When you combine a natural weapon attack with a manufactured weapon attack, the manufactured weapon is considered primary and all natural weapons are considered secondary. So you attack at your normal bonus with the sword, and at -5 with the bite or tail.

SirNMN
2016-02-05, 10:53 PM
My build so far:
NB. Feats are gained at odd levels (1,3,5,7...), Dodge is +1 vs all enemies, 5 levels must be committed to Barbarian before getting Lion Totem.
:smallsmile:

Is your game pathfinder if not then Feats are 1,3,6,9...

Shnigda
2016-02-05, 11:01 PM
Is your game pathfinder if not then Feats are 1,3,6,9...

We aren't playing Pathfinder, but the DM allows us to take feats as if we were. (Something about upping the power levels, even though he then complains about my TWF rogue dealing 40 damage per round while staying hidden)

Shnigda
2016-02-06, 06:38 PM
On top of the original stuff in the post, I just had a thought.
If I charge at an enemy, can I finish the charge 10ft away from the enemy (as I have reach from Warshaper), or do I need to finish in the square next to them (5ft away)?

Troacctid
2016-02-06, 06:49 PM
You end your charge in the closest space from which you can attack them. If you have reach, that's 10 feet away.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-07, 12:00 AM
My aim is to do power attacks, charges and bull rushes to damage enemies (maybe combining with improved trip + shock trooper), while using a natural bite attack or tail attack from Warshaper (though I'm not 100% clear on how that works... Do I do that attack at full BAB as well as a weapon (sword) attack at full BAB? Or can I only attack with both on a full attack?)

You use your weapon to do iterative attacks (BAB, BAB-5, BAB-10, etc). Then all natural weapons are secondary attacks (at BAB-5). If you hold your weapon in a claw then you don't get to use that class, though. (So Unarmed strikes as primary weapon can be very good here to free up natural weapons.)

If you only have a warshaper's natural weapons, then your primary natural weapon attacks at full BAB, and all other natural weapons attack as secondary attacks (-5 BAB).

One option for many effective attacks/round is to take Improved Unarmed strike as one of your bonus feats, so you charge in with an Unarmed strike (like a flying side kick or a headbutt), and UAS for all your iterative attacks, then use claws and bites and tail slap as secondary attacks at -5.

You would need to get pounce to do that on a charge. Otherwise you could only do that on a full attack.