PDA

View Full Version : Stacking the good stuff.

Shadowbane13
2016-02-05, 12:41 PM
Hey quick question. Say you got three people in a party that all can cast cats grace (or any ability boosting spell) if they were to put one each on a guy would it stack so it'd be a +12 to dex or would only one be on there?

Also does this apply to the modifier or score? My friend says score but I thought it was modifier. Thanks guys.

torrasque666
2016-02-05, 12:47 PM
its score, but bonuses of the samee type don't stack as a general rule.so it'd be only +4 to dex.

Malimar
2016-02-05, 12:50 PM
The spell grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity

Things don't generally stack with themselves. Moreover, modifiers don't generally stack with modifiers of the same type, so you can't stack an enhancement bonus on top of another enhancement bonus. If three people cast cat's grace on one target, the target gains a total of +4 to dexterity.

It says "bonus to Dexterity", not "bonus to Dexterity modifier" nor "bonus to Dexterity checks" or anything in that vein, so it applies to the score, not the modifier.

ThisIsZen
2016-02-05, 01:04 PM
One fun note, of course, is that redundant effects overlap, they just don't stack. So while your target would only get +4 to Dex, they'd still have 3 concurrent Cat's Grace effects on them, each of which would have to be dispelled separately. There's probably not a lot of use for this, but the comedic impact of trying to dispel a glamer from an NPC only to discover that he's got like thirty identical effects on him might be worth something.

Necroticplague
2016-02-05, 02:15 PM
Hey quick question. Say you got three people in a party that all can cast cats grace (or any ability boosting spell) if they were to put one each on a guy would it stack so it'd be a +12 to dex or would only one be on there?
Neither. All three spells would be on there, but the value of the score would not increase. This is due to all instances of Cate's Grace being enhancement bonuses, and bonuses of the same type not stacking. This is written in the basic magic rules.

Also does this apply to the modifier or score? My friend says score but I thought it was modifier. Thanks guys.

It applies to whatever the spell says it applies to. For Cat's Grace and similar, it applies to DEX itself, often referred to as the DEX score. This +4 score change produces a +2 modifier change.