PDA

View Full Version : Melee build for tempest cleric.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-05, 02:17 PM
I like to help out my party but I also like to be in the thick of it slashing and dashing things and reading the tempest cleric I like a lot of there stuff but I would like a Extra attack to make it feel more martial. Does anyone have a mc Guild build for this?

Sir cryosin
2016-02-05, 02:23 PM
I would also like to use booming blade and green flame blade to that's why I thought of going EK 7 rest tempest

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-05, 03:44 PM
I would also like to use booming blade and green flame blade to that's why I thought of going EK 7 rest tempest

Not bad. You could go 5 paladin. Fits better. Gives more. BB and GFB don't work with extra attack anyway.

EvadableMoxie
2016-02-05, 04:14 PM
Seems solid, once you hit 7 EK you get War magic and can use your SCAG cantrip and then attack again, which is nice.

It might take awhile to get your second attack though, depending on how many levels you want to go. Also, this will spread your ability points kind of thin, as you'll want wisdom for your cleric spells, int for your EK spells, CON for HP in melee, and then STR to for melee damage.

Another option for support and melee might be Valor bard. You'l get a second attack and still keep full casting levels, and bard gets plenty of support.

MrStabby
2016-02-05, 05:06 PM
I am planning blue dragon sorcerer/tempest cleric for a one off in a couple of weeks.

Sorcerer gives you quicken for your cantrips, which feels like a second attack with booming blade, or twin (which can net you three attacks). Spiritual weapon is also like a second attack if you use spell slots rather than sorcery points.

My problem is that I don't know when/where to switch. I am thinking sorc 4 Tempest x. One thing I like is that this can give me Con saves.

I also like the paladin suggestion if you have not dumped CHA. If you are going the cantrip route (spell sniper lets you use booming blade ok with polearms and for a feat gives you this spell) then 2 levels may be enough - it gives you a caster level, some spells known, smite ability, and fighting style. Taking enough levels for extra attack may be a waste.

Moctzal
2016-02-05, 07:47 PM
I think you can just go straight Tempest Cleric and take the Magic Initiate Feat for Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade.

Then take Elemental Adept and pick Thunder damage.

Then blow things up with Thunder damage that no one resists, and only two monsters are immune to (Cloud Giant and Djinni).

bid
2016-02-06, 12:34 AM
I like to help out my party but I also like to be in the thick of it slashing and dashing things and reading the tempest cleric I like a lot of there stuff but I would like a Extra attack to make it feel more martial. Does anyone have a mc Guild build for this?
Unless you rolled stats high enough to MC out of Wis, you are limited to fighter or ranger to get extra attack. You could also grab BB from EK3 or magic initiate but it does not play nice with divine strike.

- fighter 11 / cleric 8 (level 19) = 3 attacks + divine strike (no BB)
- EK 7 / cleric 8 (level 15) = 2 attacks + divine strike (one BB)
- fighter 5 / cleric 14 (level 19) = 2 attacks + higher divine strike (BB optional)
- hunter 5 / cleric 14 (level 19) = 2 attacks + higher divine strike + colossus slayer (no BB)
- cleric 20 + magic initiate = 1 attack + higher divine strike (one BB)

You should choose between EK 7 (5 ASI) and cleric 20 (4 ASI left), but hunter could be fun too if you have Dex13.

Limited Gish
2016-02-06, 03:34 AM
Storm Sorcerer 6/Tempest Cleric X

Now I know what you're thinking. There's no Extra Attack in this build! While that is true, you can Quicken a spell 6 times a day, which lets you double-down on the extra damage from the move if you can get away. (I suggest Mobile feat or Swashbuckler 3.) The build is very versatile and fairly adept at dropping damage and controlling the battlefield. And very fun if you're able to juggle the build.

Kevingway
2016-02-06, 04:00 AM
Why does nobody mention high elf? Just be a high elf tempest cleric and ignore the feats you'd need to take in order to get Booming Blade as a non-elf. Focus on the good feats and spam the hell out of your booming blade as a non-multiclassed god.

MrStabby
2016-02-06, 08:53 AM
Why does nobody mention high elf? Just be a high elf tempest cleric and ignore the feats you'd need to take in order to get Booming Blade as a non-elf. Focus on the good feats and spam the hell out of your booming blade as a non-multiclassed god.

High elf is good but it has a lot of drawbacks.

Int is a dump stat. Dex, whilst not quite a dump stat is less important as you will be able to use heavy armour so Str is probably a better focus. Being a high elf you lose an ASI worth of stats at the start, and you are basically swapping Magic initiate/spellsniper feat for an ASI. I think, if allowed, I would prefer variant human with the feat and +1 Str and +1 Wisdom.

MeeposFire
2016-02-06, 04:02 PM
High elf is good but it has a lot of drawbacks.

Int is a dump stat. Dex, whilst not quite a dump stat is less important as you will be able to use heavy armour so Str is probably a better focus. Being a high elf you lose an ASI worth of stats at the start, and you are basically swapping Magic initiate/spellsniper feat for an ASI. I think, if allowed, I would prefer variant human with the feat and +1 Str and +1 Wisdom.

You could be a half elf and trade your extra skills for that cantrip. While the +2 cha is not really helpful you can get a +1 to wisdom and to another stat of your choice which is an option.

bid
2016-02-06, 04:19 PM
You could be a half elf and trade your extra skills for that cantrip. While the +2 cha is not really helpful you can get a +1 to wisdom and to another stat of your choice which is an option.
In fact, half-elf 16 10 14 8 16 10 is the only way to get Wis16 and use heavy armor.

Hill dwarf is close enough, but without Str16 or Dex16 it's hard to hit your target.

Arkhios
2016-02-08, 04:20 AM
A few options come to my mind, though having been mentioned already, I mention them for completeness:

High Elf, while suboptimal with both high dex and above average int can, indeed, get one cantrip for free. With Booming Blade you don't need to have a high intelligence, ever, as it relies only on your weapon attack prowess..
27 pt buy: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 8, Full Tempest, or FighterX/TempestY, if you really want that one Extra Attack, which neccessity Booming Blade easily replaces.

Half-elf, with the variant feature for cantrip, same as above, except as follows:
27 pt buy: Str 16, Dex 8, Con 15 or 16, Int 8, Wis 15 or 16, Cha 10 (+1 Str, +1 Con or Wis, +2 Cha); Again Full Tempest or FighterX/TempestY, as above.

Variant Human, with Magic Initiate (Wizard) could take both Booming Blade and one other cantrip (even with a DC 10, lightning lure could be hilarious: First you pull a target close to you, deal lightning damage and then push it back 10 feet! Or Thunderclap, sticking with Booming theme) + 1 spell (maybe Magic Missile for 1/day automatic damage, or Shield for emergency +5 to AC)
27 pt buy: Str 16, Dex 8, Con 15 or 16, Int 8, Wis 15 or 16, Cha 8 (+1 Str, +1 Con or Wis; feat). Again, as above.

Or, you could take Magic Initiate (Druid), forget Booming Blade, and pick Thunderclap and Shillelagh for Cantrips, be cool with your "Thunderstaff" striking ground for "You shall not pass!" quotes, and Absorb Elements (1/day @1st-level)! :P