PDA

View Full Version : Useful Alternative?

LordOfCain
2016-02-05, 04:43 PM
My dungeon master has created statistics for stone armor. It is two thirds of the price and decreases your movement speed by an additional 10 feet. Is this a good buy?

Troacctid
2016-02-05, 04:46 PM
Seems just free if you're a dwarf.

LordOfCain
2016-02-05, 04:48 PM
Seems just free if you're a dwarf.

That is why the DM made it (for dwarves) but I am not a dwarf, I am a human.

ComaVision
2016-02-05, 04:52 PM
Was your DM aware that there already is Stone Armor in the A&EG?

LordOfCain
2016-02-05, 04:55 PM
Was your DM aware that there already is Stone Armor in the A&EG?

Mostly DMG, MM, and PHB only so he custom made this.

ComaVision
2016-02-05, 05:00 PM
Mostly DMG, MM, and PHB only so he custom made this.

I will never understand playing Core-only then homebrewing what already exists outside core.

LordOfCain
2016-02-05, 05:01 PM
I will never understand playing Core-only then homebrewing what already exists outside core.
True. He is only comfortable with Core-only so he just made it up on the spot.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-05, 05:37 PM
You don't have to spend ages becoming familiar with every little thing in all ten thousand D&D rulebooks? It's not like official content is any more balanced than random homebrew.

In answer to your question, LordOfCain: Unless it also reduces the price of enchantments, hell no, don't touch it with a ten foot pole. After the first level or two, the price of mundane armor is pretty insignificant. Even under optimal circumstances and interpretations, you're probably much better off with an AC one or two points lower than with a 10ft movement speed.

ComaVision
2016-02-05, 05:42 PM
You don't have to spend ages becoming familiar with every little thing in all ten thousand D&D rulebooks? It's not like official content is any more balanced than random homebrew.

Depends on who is making it. I'm sure didn't start your homebrew until you were familiar with what worked or didn't work in the system already.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-05, 05:48 PM
Depends on who is making it. I'm sure didn't start your homebrew until you were familiar with what worked or didn't work in the system already.
Eh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?216289-How-broken-is-this-class-and-can-it-be-salvaged-3-5&p=11899868#post11899868). I actually learned a lot through getting people's feedback here. I mean, sure there's a lot of crap out there, but c'mon, WotC gave us the Incantrix and the Shining Blade, the Druid and the Monk. The range of official content power is ludicrously high.

nedz
2016-02-05, 05:49 PM

Well ~70 books are expensive, homebrew is cheap.

eggynack
2016-02-05, 06:22 PM
Doesn't seem all that useful to me. You're only really getting value on high end armor, like full plate, and in those cases this is cutting your speed fully in half. You're inevitably selling this armor for real armor later on too, so you cut into your profits at that point, and the savings aren't all that huge.

Necroticplague
2016-02-05, 06:39 PM
Is the two-thirds before or after cost of enchantment? Past level 6 or so, if its post-enchantment, you can turn this into a pure positive by using some of the savings to buy a tooth of savnok. If its before enchantment, heck no. Not enough savings for being that immobile. To put it in perspective, with that much reduction, you sprint (take a run action as a full round action) as fast as other people jog (take a single move action to move).