PDA

View Full Version : Sun Soul Monk/ Light Domain Cleric

StiXFletcher
2016-02-05, 05:15 PM
Having recently multiclassed to take a level in Cleric (Light Domain) my DM has let me change my feat (from being a variant human) from what I had before (Magic Initiate: Cleric). I'm thinking either Spell Sniper (for 60ft Sun Bolts and so I don't have to worry about hitting people who have cover in combat) or War Caster (so that Shield of Faith, and other concentration spells, are more reliable). Any opinions in this or even other feats that would work well?

JumboWheat01
2016-02-05, 08:29 PM
I would say War Caster. Even as a Sun Soul Monk, you're still a Monk and rely a lot on fighting in melee, so having an advantage on keeping your concentration is never a bad thing. True, you never want to be hit, and you should have pretty decent AC with your Dex and Wis mods, but it never hurts to be prepared. Plus as fast as a monk can move, you can easily go around whatever someone is taking cover behind and blast them that way, or you can easily get close enough to them to. If I'm remembering correctly, you can break up your move, so you can move into range, blast, then move back.

Unless, of course, you're pretty much planning on dropping your Monk part and forever being a Cleric from that point.

coredump
2016-02-05, 08:43 PM
Away from books..... I don't think spell sniper works with sun bolts.

How do you envision the character in another 3-5 level.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-06, 04:09 AM
You're right that War Caster would help keep my Shield of Faith up but I tend to not get hit all that much. My party has a Paladin and a Fighter that are both sword and board so they tend to work together to keep the big things at bay. Then we have a Rouge and a Sorcerer so I tend to be the second line. How my DM tends to do combat is that people have cover in combat (basically saying you're trying not to hit your friends) so I think that the ability to ignore that will Spell Sniper and benefit from the shield wall in front could be good. Having said that whenever we fight a large number of NPCs then War Caster would definitely be the better choice.

My plan is to mainly use ranged spells but be close enough to combat so that i can jump in and Stunning Strike a few NPCs then jump out again or get to any fallen allies. Basically, similar to Maya from the Borderlands series (she managed to make me like being a healer!).

Spell Sniper's abilities apply to any ranged spell attack which is exactly what Sun Bolt is so why wouldn't it? (Not saying your wrong, I am very new to d&D, just looking for your reasoning?)

Sir cryosin
2016-02-06, 08:40 AM
For your sun bolts I think the books says you make a Ranger weapon attack it's not a spell but a spell like attack so if you want to ignore cover with your sunbelt you want sharpshooter feat not spell sniper because Thay are not spells.

JumboWheat01
2016-02-06, 08:44 AM
I believe that Spell Sniper says any Spell that makes a Ranged Spell Attack. Sun Bolt isn't really a spell, it's not in the spell list, it's an ability that happens to act like a spell and use a Ranged Spell Attack.

If you ask me, it probably could be used with Spell Sniper, but by official ruling, pure RAW, it wouldn't since it's a spell-like ability, not a proper spell.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-06, 10:55 AM
In SCAG it says under Radiant Sun Bolt, 'You gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the attack action.'.

In the PHB under Spell Sniper it says, 'When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled', and, 'Your ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.'

Tbh I'd rather have the Sharpshooter feat but since it's a ranged spell attack not a ranged weapon attack I can't.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-06, 10:58 AM
To explain I don't think the range would apply as it's not 'cast' but the cover aspect should as it is still a ranged spell attack.

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-06, 11:09 AM
Per JC Spell Sniper won't fully work: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/18/how-does-the-monks-radiant-sun-bolt-interact-with-spell-sniper/

Sir cryosin
2016-02-06, 11:13 AM
We can sit here and get all philosophical about it. But at the end of the day its your DM that says yay or nay. So just ask him or her if you can use spell sniper. The SCAG was made from a different company so they probably didn't take a lot of thing in a count for but then again 5e has a lot of weird worded in there books.

Dimolyth
2016-02-06, 11:23 AM
In SCAG it says under Radiant Sun Bolt, 'You gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the attack action.'.

In the PHB under Spell Sniper it says, 'When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled', and, 'Your ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.'

Tbh I'd rather have the Sharpshooter feat but since it's a ranged spell attack not a ranged weapon attack I can't.

Spell Sniper works when you take action "Cast a Spell" (which results a ranged spell attack). Sun Bolt feature works when you take action "Attack Action" (and results a ranged spell attack). By RAW - they don`t stack.

To avoid cover you can just be at the othe edge of the frontline. You go ahead behind back of your enemies - and shoot them at their backs without cover. If they try to retreat and attack you - the`ll provoke attacks of opportunity from Fighter and Paladin. Then, you will get extra attack+flurry for stunning them on your next round.

You probably possess enough mobility already for perform that trick. Step of the Wind is great to outmanneuvre your opponents. If you have no room - there is also Tumble option from DMG. And remember, you are still dangerous in mellee. Then, you do have Flare as reaction - for emergency survivability.

So, my vote is on Warcaster, unless you have not maxed your Dex&Wis. If not, I`ll be concidering maxing the scores before - for all purpose utility. Warcaster just improves spell selection, while Dex & Wis serves for your survivability and efficiency in combat (and also utility out of combat).

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-06, 12:05 PM
We can sit here and get all philosophical about it. But at the end of the day its your DM that says yay or nay. So just ask him or her if you can use spell sniper. The SCAG was made from a different company so they probably didn't take a lot of thing in a count for but then again 5e has a lot of weird worded in there books.

SCAG is a Wizards of the Coast product and is directly from the internal D&D team.

coredump
2016-02-06, 01:07 PM
To explain I don't think the range would apply as it's not 'cast' but the cover aspect should as it is still a ranged spell attack.

Now that I can check my books.... we agree. The range effect is not doubled, but the 'ignore cover' aspect still works.