PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Need an advice building a character inspired by RWBY

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-05, 05:23 PM
I've been lurking here for quite a while, and I generally consider GitP one of the best D&D resources ever, so, I decided to finally register.

So, I'm making a new character for our campaign and I want her to resemble Weiss Schnee from RWBY. To me that means

Human
Fights with a rapier and an empty hand
Relies on dexterity
Uses magic and close combat

I'm not an experienced player so, I decided to just go Duskblade. I've read the handbook of course, and, well, I've got a build already, but I think I could use some advice on improving it. She starts at level 6, and here's what I've got:

Daewyn "Winter" Amarail (She's not quite Weiss Schnee, she's got a bit of a different background partially inspired by Toph Beifong from TLA and the events of the Sokka's Master episode, too. Oh, she has a twin sister too!)

Level 6 Human Duskblade.

Stats:

STR: 12
DEX: 15
CON: 13
INT: 16 (rolled 15)
WIS: 12
CHA: 10

Feats:

Weapon Finesse
Combat Expertise
Deadly Defense
Knowledge Devotion
Combat Casting (Duskblade Bonus)

I'll comment a bit on feat selection. Because of initial requirements, Weapon Finesse is a must and Combat Expertise is a way to boost AC because she's not going to use any shield (Also, why Duskblades do not have the Shield spell in their list?). Deadly Defense is a way to improve damage output a little bit and all the requirements for it are going to be met simply because of the fighting style I chose. I thought about taking Versatile Spellcaster instead, but I think I need something to improve my melee combat in case she's out of spells or something. Knowledge devotion of course is great for Duskblades and it actually fits the character.

Skills:

Concentration: 10 = 1(CON) + 9(ranks)
Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeon, Nature, Religion): 10 = 3(INT) + 7(ranks)
Knowledge (Nobility): 5 = 3(INT) + 2 (ranks)
Knowledge, other: 4 = 3(INT) + 1 (ranks)
Spellcraft: 6 = 3(INT) + 1 (ranks) + 2 (synergy)

Skill Trick: Collector of Stories.
So, that's easy. Basically maxing Concentration and boosting enemy-indentifying Knowledges. The rest of knowledges are trained, because, well, that's just useful to have. Also, Collector of Stories skill trick to help with identifying enemies. Actually, DM ruled that it doesn't help Knowledge Devotion, because KD roll is not a "check to identify a creature or to learn its special powers or vulnerabilities", that would be a regular Knowledge roll, but I think for 2 skill points it still worth it.

Spells:

Level 0: All of them
Level 1: Shocking Grasp, Burning Hands, Ray of Enfeeblement, True Strike, Resist Energy
Level 2: Dimension Hop, Swift Invisibility

So, spells. I'm not quite sure about Burning Hands, but what else?

Equipment:
I'm not going to list every piece of it, but the important parts are:

Mithralmist Shirt (MIC) - a light mithral +1 chain shirt with a useful ability, so I think that would fit nicely.
+1 Rapier with a wand chamber - Unfortunately DM won't let me to get a rapier with six wand chambers in a revolver cylinder, so well, that's what I have to use for now :)
Amulet of Natural Armor +1 - Self-explanatory
Healing Belt (MIC) - Also self-explanatory
Masterwork silver dagger - A light weapon, just in case. Works with every her feat and ability.
Masterwork light crossbow - A ranged option.
Wand of Cat's Grace (15 charges) - To use from the chamber. Cat's Grace is a nice buff for AC and attack bonus for her, but I'm not sure if I want to spend a spell slot on it, since it would become obsolete after she gets some Gloves of Something that give +4 bonus. So, it would be just a wand for now.

So, that's about it. Anything I could improve?

P.S. I think GitP is responsible for me getting obsessed with RWBY. I think I found a link to the episode in one of those "why fighters can't have nice things" threads, but I'm not sure. So, I thought why not ask here about building the character, too :)

PraxisVetli
2016-02-05, 05:26 PM
Just throwin this out there

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-05, 05:31 PM
Just throwin this out there

~snip~

Yea, I know about that PrC and it represents the character quite nicely, but ugh, it's a pain to figure out how to build it, and like I said, I'm not a very experienced. Entry seems to be quite hard.

PraxisVetli
2016-02-05, 09:30 PM
Yea, I know about that PrC and it represents the character quite nicely, but ugh, it's a pain to figure out how to build it, and like I said, I'm not a very experienced. Entry seems to be quite hard.

Don't duskblades get haste? Because then you can just enter casually.
I can be more helpful once I'm out of work.
But I think duskblade should be fine for entry, assuming you've the two feats. If not, dip fighter for 2 lvls, grabbing dodge and mobility. If you're worried about caster level loss, the feat 'practiced Spellcaster' will do the trick.

SirNMN
2016-02-05, 11:41 PM
First don't have an empty hand you can two and and marital weapon for the heightened multiplier. Second you could be wizard 5/ Swiftblade 1 at start of game. Third if you don't want to hold the shield you could get an animated on for defense. Forth and finally if you don't mind the chess you could absent-minded trait - 1 to spot and listen + 1 on knowledge checks

nintendoh
2016-02-06, 01:29 AM
I have yet to see an effective scythe fighter. This keeps me up at night. Oh ruby, where art thou.

LudicSavant
2016-02-06, 02:13 AM
I have yet to see an effective scythe fighter. This keeps me up at night. Oh ruby, where art thou.

Some hints:

Take a look at the Ruby Knight Vindicator prestige class.

Use Footsteps of the Divine in order to get massive bursts of speed (hundreds of feet per round) in a pinch. Flight/Superjumps is also an option.

Use Surge of Fortune + Sense Weakness combo to automatically hit and crit with your scythe, dealing hundreds of damage without rolling any dice. You heard me.

When faced with many enemies, you can use the Desert Tempest maneuver in order to hit every enemy you move past in a round. Combined with a good Footsteps of the Divine burst, this is sufficient to, say, behead an entire field full of werewolves in a round. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs#t=25)

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-06, 02:35 AM
Don't duskblades get haste? Because then you can just enter casually.
I can be more helpful once I'm out of work.
But I think duskblade should be fine for entry, assuming you've the two feats. If not, dip fighter for 2 lvls, grabbing dodge and mobility. If you're worried about caster level loss, the feat 'practiced Spellcaster' will do the trick.

Well, they don't. I could do some Arcane Disciple thing, but duskblades don't get 3rd level spells until level 9 and given the pacing of our campaign, that would take like another couple of months or even more... Arcane Disciple also would require 13 WIS to be able to cast Haste. Feats is also a problem - I clearly need Weapon Finesse, Dodge and Mobility, then Arcane Disciple - so no Knowledge Devotion, Arcane Strike and Combat Expertise for me. And Fighter dip would delay entry until level 12, and that's like... very far away.

First don't have an empty hand you can two and and marital weapon for the heightened multiplier. Second you could be wizard 5/ Swiftblade 1 at start of game. Third if you don't want to hold the shield you could get an animated on for defense. Forth and finally if you don't mind the chess you could absent-minded trait - 1 to spot and listen + 1 on knowledge checks
Unfortunately empty hand is a requirement for this character because well, that's how she fights. And yes, I can't even grab the Einhander feat, that's why her twin sister(another campaign) took a swashbuckler dip - for free Weapon Finesse and Tumble. Animated shield also won't work. It's not about not using the shield, it's about fighting with a rapier and an empty hand. She would use wands or stuff when needed of course, but not TWF or shields or two-handed weapons.

Oh, and Wizard 5 does not qualify for Swiftblade, because PrC requires BAB of +3, so, yea, I would have to start as a derpy wizard who casts haste on everybody :)

Tohsaka Rin
2016-02-06, 07:03 AM
Yes, Weiss fights with an empty hand.

No, nothing is stopping you from mechanically two-handing a weapon, and calling it one-handed for flavor.

No, it doesn't ruin the character.

No, it doesn't go against the rules, if your faux-empty hand isn't doing anything.

Yes, you can be a Battle Sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana, and get 3/4BaB with a couple less spells per day/known.

No, Weiss doesn't actually seem to have a lot of different spells.

Yes, she seems more like a psionic character, due to apparently only possessing energy ball/cone/line/burst/stun/push.

Yes, I realise this list is a bit pedantic.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-06, 07:45 AM
Yes, Weiss fights with an empty hand.

No, nothing is stopping you from mechanically two-handing a weapon, and calling it one-handed for flavor.

No, it doesn't ruin the character.

No, it doesn't go against the rules, if your faux-empty hand isn't doing anything.

Yes, you can be a Battle Sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana, and get 3/4BaB with a couple less spells per day/known.

No, Weiss doesn't actually seem to have a lot of different spells.

Yes, she seems more like a psionic character, due to apparently only possessing energy ball/cone/line/burst/stun/push.

Yes, I realise this list is a bit pedantic.

Actually, there's somatic and material components of some spells, so it kinda helps to have a free hand for stuff like that. Also, she can use a wand or a metamagic rod, or grab a dagger without dropping the rapier, so whatever. Also, holding a rapier with two hands doesn't do anything anyways, so why bother? Of course I could use a greatsword and call it "Myrtenaster" and also use power attack and high strength, but that's like an entirely different fighting style. Ruby, for example. Maybe I'll make a scythe-wielding warblade at some point... Wait, warblades cannot into ranged. Oh well.

Also, psionics is not present in that campaign.

OldTrees1
2016-02-06, 08:19 AM
Well, they don't. I could do some Arcane Disciple thing, but duskblades don't get 3rd level spells until level 9 and given the pacing of our campaign, that would take like another couple of months or even more... Arcane Disciple also would require 13 WIS to be able to cast Haste. Feats is also a problem - I clearly need Weapon Finesse, Dodge and Mobility, then Arcane Disciple - so no Knowledge Devotion, Arcane Strike and Combat Expertise for me. And Fighter dip would delay entry until level 12, and that's like... very far away.

Martial Rogue 1 / Trapsmith 1 / Swiftblade X solves the Haste issue but not the feats issue
Entry Cost:
2 levels (Martial Rogue and Trapsmith)
1 feat (Martial Rogue grants the other)
8/8/5/8 ranks in 4 rogue skills

Duskblade 6 / Martial Rogue 2 / Trapsmith 1 / Swiftblade would enter on their 10th level and only cost 2 cross class skill points.

Duskblade 3 / Martial Rogue 2 /Trapsmith 1 / Swiftblade would enter on their 7th level, but cost 2 cross class skill points and delay your Duskblade 4-6 class features(which means delaying your 2nd level spells until 9th level).

Given the pacing of your game, Swiftblade might not work for you.

Nettlekid
2016-02-06, 08:32 AM
I'm going to second the Battle Sorcerer -> Swiftblade suggestion. It does sacrifice some spells, but at level 6 you have an extra point of BAB and can use Haste, which is really everything you need to enter, so that's not too difficult. Then again one of the biggest issues for a Swiftblade is getting that Martial Weapon Proficiency (in your case for a Rapier), and if I were you I'd be using an Arctic Elf as my race for Weiss, so that's already taken care of with racial proficiency. So actually a normal Sorcerer suffices if you do that. At level 6 you get that third BAB and can cast Haste. If you were a Wizard you'd need one more BAB at level 5, hence the Fighter 1/Wizard 5 suggestion. And I'll second that Weiss really doesn't use many different spells, and many of them are team buffs. Haste, Tenser's Floating Disk, and Spider Climb imitate many of the Glyphs we've seen her use. The biggest one with the slow-motion flurry that she uses is perfectly imitated by the Swiftblade's 10th level ability to subsume Haste as Time Stop (which is handy because you can't get 9th level spells with this build). I'd take the Spell Thematics feat to turn all the buffs into Glyph symbols just for the look.

EDIT: Oh, definitely use a Wand Chamber in your weapon and a Wand Bracer on your hand (see if you can get them combined so you can repeatedly replace wands in your weapon) to simulate the Dust chamber.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-06, 09:35 AM
Well, thanks for the advice, but I guess I'll stick with Duskblade for now. The thing is, I think being Int-based and Knowledge Devotion shenanigans fit Weiss more than being a Charisma-based caster (Weiss doesn't have particularly good social skills :)). There's a pretty nice synergy between spellcasting and melee for Duskblade, while, as I understand at low levels Swiftblade would have to rely on casting, because BAB is still not great (+4 on level 7 or something?), and hp is still nonexistant.

I also have the general concept for the background of her and my second Duskblade girl, so I would have to rewrite and rethink everything.

Yea, the Duskblade spells do not represent Weiss' abilities quite well, but, well, I'm going to use a suboptimal fighting style, so I guess it won't be a good idea to nerf the spellcasting side as well, so I just chose the most useful Duskblade spells. Might replace Burning hands or something. Thanks for spell thematics, though, I might try to squeeze it somewhere, but unfortunately I don't have any free feats.

So, sorry for not being particularly clear, I actually mostly asked how to improve this build, not how to make an entirely new one... I do want to try swiftblade at some point, because it feels really interesting, but I feel like it's not for this character.