PDA

View Full Version : energy resisitance/vulnerability

Felan
2007-06-15, 11:16 PM
If a monster has vulnerability to cold, and you give it a template that provides cold resistance 10, and then the party wizard casts cone of cold at it... I assume you subtract 10 from the damage rolled, multiply the difference by 1.5, and subtract that from the creature's hit points. Is that so?

wingover gimble
2007-06-15, 11:34 PM
well thats one way to do it
if you want to be a nice guy and get ur monster killed pretty good then you could let the guy multiply and then you could subtract but i would be doing what you are talking about. it seems more logical for an unlogical person to think logically.

brian c
2007-06-15, 11:46 PM
well thats one way to do it
if you want to be a nice guy and get ur monster killed pretty good then you could let the guy multiply and then you could subtract but i would be doing what you are talking about. it seems more logical for an unlogical person to think logically.

Rrrrrrriiight...

Felan, I would do the same thing. Reading the descriptions for "Resistance to Energy" and "Vulnerability to Energy" in the SRD, I can't find anything that hints at which way to do that, most likely because the game developers didn't anticipate anything having both of those qualities :smalltongue:

TheOOB
2007-06-15, 11:51 PM
I always worked it that energy resistance is applied first, then the damage is multiplied.

Both are from the SRD

A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type each round, but it does not have total immunity.

Each resistance ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted. It doesn’t matter whether the damage has a mundane or magical source.

When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell. This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell might provide.

Some creatures have vulnerability to a certain kind of energy effect (typically either cold or fire). Such a creature takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Since they ignore the damage from resistance, it seems that it wouldn't be multiplied, since its like you never took the damage, but thats hardly conclusive. Unless it was referenced in the FAQ I'd imagine its up to DM fiat.

Rrrrrrriiight...

Felan, I would do the same thing. Reading the descriptions for "Resistance to Energy" and "Vulnerability to Energy" in the SRD, I can't find anything that hints at which way to do that, most likely because the game developers didn't anticipate anything having both of those qualities :smalltongue:

Right, because its not logical for a red dragon, a creature with both the fire type and sorcerer spells to cast resistance to energy(cold) :P

Douglas
2007-06-15, 11:53 PM
This is answered somewhere in the FAQ. Resistance is applied first, then vulnerability.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-16, 12:12 AM
What Douglas said. The general rule is: "apply effects in the order most favorable to the player."

brian c
2007-06-16, 12:50 AM
What Douglas said. The general rule is: "apply effects in the order most favorable to the player."

Ah, but what if it's a monster? Do you do it the other way then because it's beneficial for the player if the monster takes more damage?

(Kidding)

Right, because its not logical for a red dragon, a creature with both the fire type and sorcerer spells to cast resistance to energy(cold) :P

I didn't say it's not possible, I just said that they probably weren't thinking of that when those rules were written, else it would be clearer.